Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you win//

No Jason, you, I, and all the rest that took part won. I think your little challenge here was a great catalyst to get our butts in the water just a bit more than usual, and certainly to go a bit harder than otherwise in some gut busting 50's.. thanks man..best swimming shape I have been in for at least a year I bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last swim of the month this morning. I did a fast 50 fly from a dive for a 30.5 which takes me to a 2:14 SCM combined.

This was fun - made me push myself a little more than I typically would this time of year.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Looks like you win//

No Jason, you, I, and all the rest that took part won. I think your little challenge here was a great catalyst to get our butts in the water just a bit more than usual, and certainly to go a bit harder than otherwise in some gut busting 50's.. thanks man..best swimming shape I have been in for at least a year I bet.

what is this "everyone's a winner" crap? You goin' soft on me now?

in the immortal words of the Highlander - "there can be only one"

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got my video for the free the other day, just dropped it on youtube.

not quite as ugly as I thought it would be, but still things to work on. I eff'd up the 2nd 25, tried to go the last 15m no-breath. that was clearly too much. Gonna play around with the underwaters a bit too, see if I can get a little better by going with a bigger undulation and try to catch more water on each kick.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went ahead and did all 4 50s yesterday since I felt pretty good in warmup.

Structured it for each stroke 4x50s descend 1-4 on a minute and then do ez 50 free and rest a minute and do my 50 time trial. did back and breast first so my fly didnt affect them. I was going to use my new goggles to time myself and compare it to the pace clock but the battery died in warmup.

results in SCY
back 33.5
breast 37.5
fly 30
fr 28.5

thats a 2:09.5, 2:23.74 converted to scm. So I added 20 seconds for my actual swim race from the weekend which was a 2:43.50. back and breast I may have left a fraction early so i added 1/2 second and free I touched and saw 28 turn to 29. surprised by my back/breast though last week i did do 16 sec 25 back and an 18 sec 25 breast so maybe I've gotten a little better there.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leaderboard updated with just 1 more day.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you suggest as a WU and activation before going for these full out 50's ? Haven't tried that in decades...
My best styles ( ok that was late 70's- 1980') were breast, fly, then free and last, by far was back.

I will escape the house later this evening (20h00 EDT) and soak that wound away from my nurse daughter ( she would scold me for doing this).

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I do is something like:

800 skps warmup easy, building a little on the last 200 swim

A short set of descending 50’s to “comfortably fast. (7 or 8/10 on the rpe scale)

A round, maybe 2 rounds of the sprinters game

Ie 4x25 going easy/fast. Fast/easy, built, then sprint

Another 100 easy then ready to go.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I described what I did a couple posts up. It’s similar to what Jason posted. If 4 50s is too much do 25s instead or do 25 stroke and 25 ez free.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried, but butterfly just hurts, so I give up......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back from the pool.
That was .... special.

Pool: 25 m
After the warm up, I started the 50's and it was abvious my bad knee wouldn't take the beating.
So I decided to do the "pull" challenge:

1) 50 free (pull) : 37.5 sec.
2) 50 breast (pull) : 47 sec.
3) 50 back (pull) : 55 sec. How the heck do you do a back flip turn with a pull, I still can't figure out how to do a "new" back flip turn lol.

Then I decided to try a full 50 fly. After the first 25 meters, I knew I was going to be lucky to finish this one. It didn't happen: after 35 m the right calf cramped for good and I had to stop.
4) DNF fly

There.

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start out doing one arm butterfly. Do a couple strokes with one arm and then switch to the other. When you are proficient at that there is a drill where you do two stokes with each arm and then two strokes with both arms then repeat
Last edited by: Abergili: Oct 30, 19 22:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can finish the fly on another day. Also revisit the set every couple weeks and see if you can improve.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except I am only just back in the pool 6 weeks ago after I can finally move my shoulders through mostly full range of motion after a combined 5 years recovering from one then the other shoulder injuries.
I am fine with one arm butterfly with side breathing, but two arm is pain, so it ain't going to happen for a while yet.
Unless of course I play the flipper card.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's a leg problem that appeared since I joined a running group last month.
As an cyclist I wasn't physically prepared to run fast intervals right away.
I'm visiting my physio tomorrow to have the knee and leg checked. I'll probably have to take time off and passively watch the first snow flakes come down ... :-(
I was surprised to "like" the few back strokes I did yesterday. I will definitely add it to my sessions in the future.

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Oct 31, 19 4:07
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Except I am only just back in the pool 6 weeks ago after I can finally move my shoulders through mostly full range of motion after a combined 5 years recovering from one then the other shoulder injuries.
I am fine with one arm butterfly with side breathing, but two arm is pain, so it ain't going to happen for a while yet.

I am not an expert, but if you put your hands beside your thighs (Palms facing thighs) and just do a snow angel motion and bring your hands up over head to 1 o'Clock position and 11 O'Clock (may be more like 2 and 10), then there should be no impact on shoulders. The shoulders are only loaded during the pull so if you can pull during free you can pull during fly. So if your shoulders hurt for fly and not free, its because your core is doing the wrong thing and your timing is off (I have been working on this for 2 years now since I learned how to do fly)....my limitation is core timing given a disc injury and getting the undulation motion strong while I "kick on arm entry and kick on arm exit".

I bet it has nothing to do with your shoulders if you can do one arm fly and everything to to with you core strength and timing if you can do 2 arm fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually using swim fins is an excellent idea. They can make things a little easier on your shoulders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump. It's Nov 1st. last call...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 2 more days to post your times up. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

I am not an expert, but if you put your hands beside your thighs (Palms facing thighs) and just do a snow angel motion and bring your hands up over head to 1 o'Clock position and 11 O'Clock (may be more like 2 and 10), then there should be no impact on shoulders. The shoulders are only loaded during the pull so if you can pull during free you can pull during fly. So if your shoulders hurt for fly and not free, its because your core is doing the wrong thing and your timing is off (I have been working on this for 2 years now since I learned how to do fly)....my limitation is core timing given a disc injury and getting the undulation motion strong while I "kick on arm entry and kick on arm exit".

I bet it has nothing to do with your shoulders if you can do one arm fly and everything to to with you core strength and timing if you can do 2 arm fly.

Timing is no issue and one arm can be done with the good arm.
If you pull hard with one arm, the other follows and pulls just as hard and as my injured shoulder also has a subluxed AC joint and relies on muscles for support, it f'ing hurts to pull hard in butterfly which is on my stomach, whereas freestyle is swum more on the side and uses more back muscles and less chest muscles than butterfly.
I do four or five strokes and just say "fck this".
Quote Reply
Re: Last Call for the October broken 200IM challenge. post your times if you've done it. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
October swim challenge from Swimming Canada masters section.

Swimmers are invited to swim a timed 50m of each stroke which will be added together for a 200 individual medley time. The results will be compiled for the 200 IM add up.

https://www.swimming.ca/en/masters/

Who wants to do a little ST side challenge off that?

LEADERBOARD

Optimal_Adrian (SCY - M38)
27.37 / 29.95 / 35.29 / 25.30 ---> 1:57.91 (2:10.88 converted)

zenmaster28 (SCM, M44)
30.5, 34 high, 37 high, 31 ---> 2:14

Monty (SCY, M63)
30.36/35.87/38.66/29.5 --> 2:14.19

tallswimmer (SCM M36)
33/33/39/32 - 2:17

JasoninHalifax (SCM, M48)
31, 34, 42.5, 29.5 --> 2:17

daved (SCY, M45)
27.9 (fly) - 33.50 (Bk) 36.1 (Br) 26.7 ---> 2:04.2 == 2:17.86

abergili (SCY, M53
30 33.5 37.5 28.5 --> 2:09.5 ( 2:23.74 converted)

PowerPlay (SCY, M62)
34.2 37.7 40.9 32.5 --> 2:25.3

gary p (SCY, M 51)
30.97 36.57 (back) 39.01 (breast) 28.10 (free) --->2:14.65 (SCM converted 2:29.46)

tri4balance (SCM, M52)
37.91, 42.47, 42.66, 33.34 = 2:36.38

ajthomas (SCM????,age?? )
39, 39, 48, 35 - 2:42

doug in co (SCY, M59)
44, 41, 43, 29 - 2:37 === 2:54 converted to SCM

Dev Paul (SCM, M53 (almost 54)
42, 49, 60, 42 ==> 3:13

and so far incomplete:

RealAB (SCM - 43?)
--

Squidly (LCM, 23)
--

Sorry for not reporting in yet. but I finally only got to 42,49,58,42 for a 3:11 SCM from wall push (no dive for fly)...age 54 now

I did not feel comfortable pushing any harder on the breast as it puts some pressure on my disc and I need to be careful, so I generally have a pretty weak kick.

I have a meet on Dec 2 where I'll have 50 times in everything so will be good to see what I can get to in a month
Quote Reply

Prev Next