Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Tahoe training ride
Quote | Reply
Headed up to Tahoe this weekend for my wife's marathon. I was hoping to get some insight on potential long rides. I see that I can go around the whole lake that is 72 miles, but also see that it can be pretty heavy traffic. Just thought I would see if anyone spends time up there and knows of some better routes. I will be leaving from Homewood, CA, as that is where the finish line is and will need to drop my truck off for my wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe training ride [J.Thompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the purpose of your ride there are a few good/safe options. There is a ton of construction right now in Tahoe City and other spots so riding around the lake may not be the best option. This time of year traffic should be light though. One of my favorite ride is Barker Pass repeats. This is the road up Blackwood Canyon and has zero traffic. You can look it up on Strava or just google it. Also you could ride to Tahoe City>North on 89 to Donner Pass Road the up Old Hwy 40 to Donner pass and back....

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe training ride [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s for a long training ride, 100+ for IMAZ. I appreciate the response, I’ll look. Main issue I’m finding is trying to time an unknown route and being near the finish line to see the wife finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going around the lake can be fun, if at a low traffic time. And if you go clockwise, I think it is 3 miles shorter, but a lot more scenic, so I would go that way if you do it...

Otherwise go up Luther pass and head over to Monitor pass, or the other way to Caples lake and Kirkwood. Both are on pretty deserted roads, so bring plenty to eat and drink..
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe training ride [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty, going around the lake seems optimal for refuel (and what appears to be a beautiful ride) and I think I can beat my wife around the lake and still see her finish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride around the lake, make DAMN sure you ride on the water side of the road (clockwise). The drivers in both directions are looking at the lake, not the land side. "Look, Myrtle! A cute squirrel on the guard rail!" THUMP THUMP "What was that?" (25 year resident of South Shore)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe training ride [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clockwise seems to be the go to route!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe training ride [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this.

If you want to make it closer to 100 skip Tahoe City and go north on 89, hang a right on W River Street, another right on 267 and you’ll end up in Kings Beach. Long climb in there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just leave as early in the morning as possible to be done before most people hit the road. Its chilly at first but it typically warms up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Around the lake is awesome. My favorite part to ride is by Emerald Bay. Agree with counter clockwise is not preferred but if early I would go that way and do the climbs and downhills over to South Lake turn around past Camp Richardson and go back up the climbs then you can go out as far as time allows. You can throw in out and back to Truckee as well. Can be a good effort on the return to Tahoe City with the steady grade. One of my favorite places to ride. Depending on the importance of being at the finish for your wife going all the way around might be a risk of missing it.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to give a little ride report for all those who made suggestions.

Did 1.25 laps around the lake for a total of 93 miles. Was a cold ride, very cold, crazy how much temp fluctuates going around the lake, but what awesome scenery. Quality of the roads is a A+, lack of shoulder or bike lanes was the only downside. Lots of traffic but most people were very courteous, and slowed when passing. Coming down the 50 was super sketchy, but you can haul ass.

Short conclusion, if you do ride in Tahoe, go around the lake it was a blast, but if it’s 40 degrees, dress warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you did it and had a great experience!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J.Thompson wrote:
Wanted to give a little ride report for all those who made suggestions.

Did 1.25 laps around the lake for a total of 93 miles. Was a cold ride, very cold, crazy how much temp fluctuates going around the lake, but what awesome scenery. Quality of the roads is a A+, lack of shoulder or bike lanes was the only downside. Lots of traffic but most people were very courteous, and slowed when passing. Coming down the 50 was super sketchy, but you can haul ass.

Short conclusion, if you do ride in Tahoe, go around the lake it was a blast, but if it’s 40 degrees, dress warm.

Glad to hear it went well. Next time take the 89 to Truckee and then back up the 267 for Brockway Summit climb.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply