Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cassette lockrings keep coming loose
Quote | Reply
I have an older HED Jet wheelset that I converted to 11 speed a few year ago and I keep have a weird problem with the rear wheel hub. I torque the cassette lockrings to at least 40nm but after 200-250 miles with lots of climbing the cassette lockrings keep loosening up. One time I forgot to check it and the damn thing prevented the wheel from spinning while climbing up a sizable hill.

I tested it with several different cassettes - they all get loose after a while. Should I just replace the hub body? Or is there a mechanics trick I need to know to prevent this from happening? I am not an uber climber with a huge FTP, I might pull 500-550w for a couple of seconds here and there, so this is puzzling. Any ideas?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Oct 6, 19 21:12
Quote Reply
Re: cassette lockrings keep coming loose [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me (assuming you have used more than one lock ring with the same results) that the threads of the hub have somehow been enlarged. I would consider using some BLUE Loctite on the the ring threads if you don't want to replace the hub. Make sure the lockring you are using has good clean square teeth and isn't a worn one. That would make it very difficult to remove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yan can change the freehub only. That's where the problem is located it seems.

Louis :)
Last edited by: louisn: Oct 7, 19 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: cassette lockrings keep coming loose [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Yan can change the freehub only. That's where the problem is located it seems.

^This. Call Hed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you’re getting the 11t seated properly? I’ve never had a cassette loosen in 35 years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I have an older HED Jet wheelset that I converted to 11 speed a few year ago and I keep have a weird problem with the rear wheel hub....

I'm thinking...., what do you mean by : -" I converted...." ?
Some 11 speed conversions are sketchy...you may have damaged the threads, or the person may not have machined the freehub splines ( or the bigger cogs body) deep enough to allow the lockring to get a decent grip.
Have it checked by somebody competent.

Last edited by: louisn: Oct 7, 19 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I simply bought one of those - https://store.hedcycling.com/11-speed-conversion/

The install was done at the local Helen's cycles....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well. Like discussed earlier, my first impression is it should be the threads that are too wide. You might have to change the freehub, and use a new lockring, prefferably steel. Light alloy freehubs and lockrings aren't very sturdy.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think that simply putting some loctite on would do the trick?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can try that, it won't cost anything but the Loctite and it's not dangerous.
I would double up with a new steel lockring for better bond.
You sure there are no spacers between the cassette and freehub? You don't need any.
If it holds on for a long period, then fine. Don't try this before an event though...

Last edited by: louisn: Oct 7, 19 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Well. Like discussed earlier, my first impression is it should be the threads that are too wide. You might have to change the freehub, and use a new lockring, prefferably steel. Light alloy freehubs and lockrings aren't very sturdy.

Louis :-)

Especially the lock rings. Can't tell you how many Dura Ace, Super Record and Record lock rings I've had failover the years...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, doublechecked that I had no spacers, etc. Will try the loctite today. Thankfully it's just my roadbike, so worst case scenario it's an uber ride home....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try putting a little grease on the freehub body itself before installing the cassette. It could be that the cassette isn’t seating entirely when you install the lockring, and then when you start riding it would work itself down and the lockring would lose all of its preload.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Assuming you've tried different cassettes with different lock rings, then it appears that the free hub body is the issue, so I'd look at what it would take to resolve that issue first, rather than
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I simply bought one of those - https://store.hedcycling.com/11-speed-conversion/

The install was done at the local Helen's cycles....

If Loctite doesn't work I'd try to get in touch with HED to see if they'd warranty the freehub body....seems like it might be defective (assuming you bought it new from an authorized retailer). Although I did once buy a like new never used HED 11 speed hub conversion kit on eBay once that the pawls or something was sticking really bad as it wouldn't coast very well at all (even just holding the wheel by the axles by hand it felt like the brake pads were dragging...even though at the time it wasn't nowhere near the wheel at the time). I got in cotact with HED then sent it in directly to them and they couldn't find anything wrong but the guy I worked with sent me a brand new one instead for all the trouble (all I had to do was pay for shipping both the destination/return). Nice customer service gesture of them actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How close is the frame to the lockring when the wheel is installed? There should be a small gap, ie. the frame should be pressed against the hub endcap but not the lockring. If it is, then it could be loosening off the lockring as the wheel turns. A photo (top view) of the wheel installed would be helpful to diagnose the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lock ring has teeth on its inner face that mate to grooves on the outter face of the last cog. When tightened these teath/grooves should engage and provide a "detent" to prevent the lock-ring from loosening. As such, the lock-ring should click into place several times as you tighten it down with one final "confidence inspiring <click>".

Given that you've tried this with several cassettes, I'm assuming that they all <click> into place. It would be pretty strange for all of your cassettes to not have the detents. Nevertheless, I have to ask...

Assuming your answer is "yes, they all click", I'm leaning like everyone else. It sounds like your freehub body has been stripped, or perhaps has cracked allowing it to expand under load and then the lock ring slips a thread or two...then its loose enough to just vibrate out. If the freehub body were cracked that's what you would expect to happen under high chain-tension situations.
Quote Reply
Re: cassette lockrings keep coming loose [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An update. I pulled off the freehub, it looked fine, no visible cracks, etc. Called HED and they think that there is a spacer missing - it should be there. I sent them some pics and they should be getting back to me shortly, hopefully confirming the missing washer/spacer theory.

Quote Reply