Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a cage to put bta. Don’t want any bottle ejections. I can get great deals on Bontrager and zipp, that’s why I asked about these brands. Any help would be appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a lot of BTA bottle ejections. I like the ease of the bonty xxx. Don’t know about Zipp.

Now BTS must be Gorilla XT. Hard to lose a bottle with that cage

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Not a lot of BTA bottle ejections. I like the ease of the bonty xxx. Don’t know about Zipp.

Now BTS must be Gorilla XT. Hard to lose a bottle with that cage

^^^This.

No more likely to lose a BTA bottle than a downtube one. The only issue is that IM races in NA tend to hand out "sport" bottles instead of real bike water bottles (see one in the BTS below) and these often are a loose fit in cages. I actually find cages with a really tight grip less desirable BTA, since you are pulling on your steering.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried them all and Specialized Rib cage is best hands down and cheap. I think I paid $8 for them and have never lost a bottle can I can't say that about my $45 gorilla cages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are bottles hard to get in and out of the Gorilla XT?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I think they say 13lbs of force. Too much imo for a bta. I usually switch mine for training and racing.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just FUCKING hate people losing their bottles during the race or bike rally.
I crashed once and got a flat dodging it. I wish people are more responsible with their bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Yes. I think they say 13lbs of force. Too much imo for a bta. I usually switch mine for training and racing.

I just put an arundel side mount cage on my bike BTA. I haven't got a chance to test it out yet.

BTS I just have the regular profile design kage bottle cages. They had been fine until recently at IM Chattanooga where I launched two bottles so I'm considering switching. Not sure if I want to pay the high price for the gorilla xt cages but don't want to go too cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how much of a discount you need on an ÂŁ8 bottle cage, but you can't go wrong with Specialized Rib Cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Not sure how much of a discount you need on an ÂŁ8 bottle cage, but you can't go wrong with Specialized Rib Cage.

This^^^^^^ is fact! my Rib cages have never launched a bottle and they can't be beat cost wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where are you finding specialized rib cage at that low price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was last years price. The 2019 are $24. Google the 2018 and you may find some
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. That explains it. I thought there was a secret site. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just warning that the older Zipp carbon cages, like these, are the worst cages I've ever used in terms of ejections. I thought I might have gotten a bad one, and got a warranty replacement. No better.

However Zipp may have fixed everything with their newer cage designs. I have not tried the newer ones. Arundel won me over for life.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bontrager or zipp water bottle cage? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use arundel BTS? If so, which ones? I have an arundel sport cage on my downtube. But just wondering if they would work well BTS
Last edited by: mickison: Oct 8, 19 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

This^^^^^^ is fact! my Rib cages have never launched a bottle and they can't be beat cost wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

I have a rib cage right now, and the Gatorade bottles that are available on the course, aren’t very secure. I’ve lost a few bottles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL no bottle cage is built for a gatorade bottle
Last edited by: Scottxs: Oct 8, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Do you use arundel BTS? If so, which ones? I have an arundel sport cage on my downtube. But just wondering if they would work well BTS

Nope, never BTS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mickison wrote:

Nope, never BTS.

No as in you’ve never used them BTS or no as in they wouldn’t work well BTS for some reason?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Bat Cage...super durable...holds really well, but still easy to put bottles in and out and affordable, but still reasonably lightweight.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...bottle-cage/p/27863/

I own seven Bat Cages. I have tried many over the years, because I used to work in the bike shop, but all-around functionality and cost, my favourite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

No as in you’ve never used them BTS or no as in they wouldn’t work well BTS for some reason?

Sorry, ambiguous. I had meant that I'd never used them BTS. Not a triathlete.

But then I just realized that just last month I took them off my road bike and mounted them to a dual rear hydration setup for my legs in a Silver State 508 relay. And that worked fine, granted it was only like 125 miles, but some very rough road. So I think they'd be fine. They are rock solid in normal usage. I've done like 7-8 years now without ejecting once. Including BWR and other offroad stuff.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 8, 19 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks. I assume they would be fine. The one I use has been great. But of course It’s on a tri bike on the downtube so not the most likely place to have issues with launched bottles.
Quote Reply