Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Barcelona.. Did you know?
Quote | Reply
1. That there were that many fast pros not in Kona? I only recognized 3-4 names of the 20 or so guys that were around 8:30 or better! (yes it's a fast course, but still surprising to me).

2. The guy who commentated? I only listened to the swim and start of the bike, but two things jumped out: 1 - he was really easy to listen to and 2 - he allowed for silence, extended moments of just video feed. From what I watched, he did a great job!

Anyone else agree? Other thoughts on the race?

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona.. Did you know? [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of fast times. Same thing with womens race. Maybe a bit short besides beeing fast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
1. That there were that many fast pros not in Kona? I only recognized 3-4 names of the 20 or so guys that were around 8:30 or better! (yes it's a fast course, but still surprising to me).

2. The guy who commentated? I only listened to the swim and start of the bike, but two things jumped out: 1 - he was really easy to listen to and 2 - he allowed for silence, extended moments of just video feed. From what I watched, he did a great job!

Anyone else agree? Other thoughts on the race?

Cheers.
Yeah, amazing what a difference a decent commentator makes - so much better than the usual garbage I get to hear.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona.. Did you know? [pran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pran wrote:
A lot of fast times. Same thing with womens race. Maybe a bit short besides beeing fast?

I asked a pro I know, and he said the course was accurate, but also indicated that there was lots of drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3) That Florian Angert won his first Ironman in 7:45. I think he has the same coach as Sebi Kienle and Laura Philipp.

doesn't look like German domination in Ironman racing is about to end in the foreseeable future...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan Hovda posted the following on Strava:

177.8km for a 4,23 bike split. For him that would be 3min extra if the course was accurate. He also posted 41.8km on the run. With 4.08/km that would be almost 2more min. Dunno how the swim was. But if a pro going 8.13 saves 5min (at least) the rest of us probably saves quite a lot more.

Next stop IM Barcelona ;)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona.. Did you know? [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:
Allan Hovda posted the following on Strava:

177.8km for a 4,23 bike split. For him that would be 3min extra if the course was accurate. He also posted 41.8km on the run. With 4.08/km that would be almost 2more min. Dunno how the swim was. But if a pro going 8.13 saves 5min (at least) the rest of us probably saves quite a lot more.

Haha. It also sounded and looked like they had very ideal conditions, which never hurts!

I'm still surprised so many unknowns (to me) went that fast. Maybe the depth at the pointy pointy end is deeper than most realize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I done it today the swim 4174 yards. The bike was 111.05 miles on my garmin maybe stopped slightly early and the run was 26.04 miles so bike and run defs a bit short not sure about the yards I'm a metres man. I went 9.03.30 first ironman 👌
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona.. Did you know? [seanmcl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seanmcl wrote:
I done it today the swim 4174 yards. The bike was 111.05 miles on my garmin maybe stopped slightly early and the run was 26.04 miles so bike and run defs a bit short not sure about the yards I'm a metres man. I went 9.03.30 first ironman 👌

I had 766m for the swim and 45.8km for the run - thanks, Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you know that in my agegroup the complete top10 went sub 9...... 8:45 did not give you a KQ this year (not direct, no clue about roll down).

Superfast this year, with more or less accurate course (not worse than other venues, nothing special), while a lot of the 'fast' athletes are not even there (a lot of them are in Kona right now).

I did 9:30 (not in Barcalona) this year and dream of KQ in about 3 years. I was hoping a 9:15 would get me there (or, at least in contension/close to KQ). A 15 minute improvent is certrainly possible. But a 45 minute improvement might be a bit over the top at this stage (kids, job, etc.). Might need to recalculate my odds (and/or train harder).
Last edited by: Cnasta: Oct 7, 19 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona.. Did you know? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
Did you know that in my agegroup the complete top10 went sub 9...... 8:45 did not give you a KQ this year (not direct, no clue about roll down).

Superfast this year, with more or less accurate course (not worse than other venues, nothing special), while a lot of the 'fast' athletes are not even there (a lot of them are in Kona right now).

I did 9:30 this year and dream of KQ in about 3 years. I was hoping a 9:15 would get me there (or, at least in contension/close to KQ). A 15 minute improvent is certrainly possible. But a 45 minute improvement might be a bit over the top at this stage (kids, job, etc.). Might need to recalculate my odds (and/or train harder).

It wouldn't surprise me if your race was the fastest one ever, in terms of average finish time or podium avg for all AG! Absolutely bonkers how fast it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race is notorious for drafting, many of us chose to ignore the PB as the pure distaste from a race like that and seeing so many wheel suckers would be terrible.
Not to mention the increased chances of crashes its that bad.

Hasn't stopped loads going for the cheap glory shot though.
Then when you compare their other race times you know how blatant it is and they were.

Not a race where times are reflective.

Even for pros, course is a bit narrow I gather and cameras too close to bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the dream. Change the course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
Cnasta wrote:

I did 9:30 this year and dream of KQ in about 3 years. I was hoping a 9:15 would get me there (or, at least in contension/close to KQ). A 15 minute improvent is certrainly possible. But a 45 minute improvement might be a bit over the top at this stage (kids, job, etc.). Might need to recalculate my odds (and/or train harder).

It wouldn't surprise me if your race was the fastest one ever, in terms of average finish time or podium avg for all AG! Absolutely bonkers how fast it was.

I see I was a bit unclear. Sorry for the confusion. I did 9:30 this year, but not in Barcalona... So, might not need to feel that bad :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
JBell wrote:
Cnasta wrote:

I see I was a bit unclear. Sorry for the confusion. I did 9:30 this year, but not in Barcalona... So, might not need to feel that bad :)

That's awesome man, congrats. You're close... These times certainly seem like a big outlier to me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona.. Did you know? [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:

Better than Texas!

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply