Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Official Thread: Best of Luck to Slowman on Kona Swim
Quote | Reply
Ok, forget about Lucy vs Josh or Lionel vs Wurf at the Kona test swim today. Monty has been pacing slowman through various test sets and swims over the last month based on Monty's posts in the monthly fish thread that most of you don't read.

Today is the big day. Slowman is in Kona for the big test. Based on test swim times, I think he can go 1:08 or faster, but it depends on the ocean today. If anyone is there and can give us the blow by blow on Josh Amberger vs Lucy Charles that would be fun to follow.

Monty is slowman going with a skinsuit or is he going old school Kona 1983 in a speedo? Did he shave down or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Thread: Best of Luck to Slowman on Kona Swim [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He won't be shaving down for anything. But I think our last test set in a DeSoto Tri suit, convinced him to cover up all the hair. It is a really old suit, a bit long in the tooth, but it gets the basic job done. I was looking around for old 1981 results to see what he swam back then, but as usua,l the old pdf eludes me. He thinks he swam about 1;20, I think he was right next to John Howard at around 1;11. And that was not only a long course, the currents in February were usually slow as well swimming that direction. Other than the next year in 82 feb, that was the slowest year ever for the swim, so 1;11 was not really that bad..

Anyway that was the first benchmark I gave him to go after, and if he can get a great draft, then in the 1;0 single digits. It should be fun!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Thread: Best of Luck to Slowman on Kona Swim [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
He won't be shaving down for anything. But I think our last test set in a DeSoto Tri suit, convinced him to cover up all the hair. It is a really old suit, a bit long in the tooth, but it gets the basic job done. I was looking around for old 1981 results to see what he swam back then, but as usua,l the old pdf eludes me. He thinks he swam about 1;20, I think he was right next to John Howard at around 1;11. And that was not only a long course, the currents in February were usually slow as well swimming that direction. Other than the next year in 82 feb, that was the slowest year ever for the swim, so 1;11 was not really that bad..

Anyway that was the first benchmark I gave him to go after, and if he can get a great draft, then in the 1;0 single digits. It should be fun!!

Interesting about the point about covering up all that hair. One of the girls on my swim team beats me by ~1 min over 1500m. At nationals, I closed that gap to <30 seconds, but every other meet I am hairy and she obviously have the equivalent of a tri suit.

OK so over 3800 m, the DeSoto saves slowman around 1.5 minutes versus being gorilla man? Its too bad I am stuck on United Wifi on the way to Kona, as I think I could have given him domestique services like Matt Chrabot. But I do think based on the times you posted for slowman a 1:08 is in the range. Can't Emilio get him the fastest possible deSoto skin for this event? We don't normally get the father of ST doing an event like this (well not since he did the Tour of California ITT....at least he can't fall and get hurt).

OK what's your take on Cam vs Lionel? Last year Lionel was 9 second or so back of Cam on the practice swim and then 2 min on race day! I hope he gets his act together for race day. He needs to be close to Cam+Kienle+Aernouts out of T1. The problem is on race day he does not have as many 'gap fillers
Quote Reply
Re: Official Thread: Best of Luck to Slowman on Kona Swim [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no Vegas oddsmakers or STers putting money yet on slowman going 1:0x.yy ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Thread: Best of Luck to Slowman on Kona Swim [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks a pretty solid result. Just off the AG podium.

WATCHVIEWBIBNAMERANKCATEGORYCAT. PLACEGENDER PLACEGUN TIME

689Dan Empfield259M60-64420001:07:50.6

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Thread: Best of Luck to Slowman on Kona Swim [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coredump wrote:
Looks a pretty solid result. Just off the AG podium.

WATCHVIEWBIBNAMERANKCATEGORYCAT. PLACEGENDER PLACEGUN TIME

689Dan Empfield259M60-64420001:07:50.6

Hey Monty...what did I say about 1:08 or faster....congrats slowman!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
monty wrote:

Interesting about the point about covering up all that hair. One of the girls on my swim team beats me by ~1 min over 1500m. At nationals, I closed that gap to <30 seconds, but every other meet I am hairy and she obviously have the equivalent of a tri suit.

OK so over 3800 m, the DeSoto saves slowman around 1.5 minutes versus being gorilla man? Its too bad I am stuck on United Wifi on the way to Kona, as I think I could have given him domestique services like Matt Chrabot. But I do think based on the times you posted for slowman a 1:08 is in the range. Can't Emilio get him the fastest possible deSoto skin for this event? We don't normally get the father of ST doing an event like this (well not since he did the Tour of California ITT....at least he can't fall and get hurt).

OK what's your take on Cam vs Lionel? Last year Lionel was 9 second or so back of Cam on the practice swim and then 2 min on race day! I hope he gets his act together for race day. He needs to be close to Cam+Kienle+Aernouts out of T1. The problem is on race day he does not have as many 'gap fillers
I think LS’s injury gave him some serious swim focus. I think he has been downplaying his swim too, so I expect him to do better than before on the swim...I also expect him to go balls out on the swim to try to mitigate his damage. And I think Cam also does better (but will still be ahead of Lionel). I think there will be carnage on the run...
Quote Reply