Quote Reply
Re: IM Italy: pros? Cons? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pasta good for carb loading.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Italy: pros? Cons? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pros:
Nice seaside town, lovely real Italy feel, everything in one location. Tons of accommodation in walking distance.
Flattish bike but one lovely climb to break the monotony; up through vineyards and a village at the top of the hill, fast descent off is fun.
Weather usually benign, not super hot or cold.
The best Ironman run course I’ve done. Lovely clip round the harbour, through town including quaint squares and wide fully closed leafy shaded roads with loads of cafes etc for support to hole up and a little loop around a trail in a park.

Cons:
Although super convenient once there it’s a bit of a ball ache to get to, 1 hour from Bologna airport by cab.
Some road surfaces a bit rough/iffy hence not a super quick bike.
Worst drafting I’ve seen at an IM, similar to Barcelona. You’ll be dodging huge packs of systematic cheats, the surges and freewheeling will mess with your own pacing and forget KQ if that’s a target.
They’ve added a 70.3 since I did it (2017) so there’s now 5,000 athletes in town over the weekend. Not sure how that impacts the event, accommodation etc.

I’d rate it above Barcelona, but Wales is by far the best IM in Europe that time of year.
Quote Reply