Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can't get tire on wheel
Quote | Reply
I just got some new tires and whatever I did could not get it on my wheel, even after watching multiple youtube videos on different techniques and snapping a tire lever. Never had this problem before. In the end I left it outside in the sun on a hot day and it slipped on pretty easily.

This is all well and good now, but my question is if I get a puncture on a cold day, will I be stranded because of this or will the friction of riding on the road heat up the tire so it will slip on easy enough, just like it did after sitting in the sun?

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get tire on wheel [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you carry extra tire during the ride? That’s pretty unusual. What you can do is just keep an extra tire at home. You can lay it out in the sun a little and do deadlift. Step on it and pull it with two hands to stretch a little. That way the tire will be ready for the mount when you need it. I couldn’t put tires on the rim, I took it to LBS. a guy grabbed it and pushed casually with his thumbs to mount. I was like WTH??!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get tire on wheel [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I don't carry an extra tire with me. What I meant was if I get a flat, once I change the inner tube I'm worried I won't be able to get the tire back on leaving me stranded.

Stepping on it and stretching with my hands is probably the only method I have not tried yet and seems pretty obvious now that you've mentioned it. Will give that a go and hopefully will sort put my issue

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will be fine with a tyre that's already been on a rim.

Best tip I could give is to make sure the tyre is as far into the gutter on the opposite end when trying to get the last part of the tyre on. (If that makes any sense to you)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New tires can be tougher because they haven't been stretched out over the wheel while mounted. Most tires get easier after stretching over the wheel, but some like Gatorskins stay notoriously difficult to mount.

The Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack is very helpful for difficult tire mounting - I would highly recommend it to everyone to have at home, and I even bring it on rides with me in my rear jersey pocket if I'm going long 'just in case'. It's a very good simple tool - has two prongs, one side sits on the opposite wheel rim, and the other is like a finger/claw, and you just lever the tire edge on. It doesn't make a hard tire 'easy' per se, but it makes something that is finger-ripping impossible, eminently doable and will definitely save your fingertips the agony, and also your wheel rims from damage if you have to resort to putting a normal tire lever under the tire bead to lever it on.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get tire on wheel [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

its funny, i also carry a bead jack with me now when i go on long rides off road. but the whole thing makes me hate tubeless. its such a battle to deal with flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get tire on wheel [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

its funny, i also carry a bead jack with me now when i go on long rides off road. but the whole thing makes me hate tubeless. its such a battle to deal with flats.

Yeah I’m afraid of tubeless

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply