Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guidance on First Triathlon Bike
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I've been thinking about getting my first triathlon bike and have several ideas floating around in my head. I'm looking for some guidance on which route would be the best short and long-term solution.

Current Information:
I did my first 70.3 this year and enjoyed the experience. I made some mistakes and wasn't very fast but I'm really motivated to improve all three disciplines.

My current plan is to do a couple olympics and half distance in 2020 and a full ironman in 2021.

I have a Scott Addict Gravel 30 with a set of gravel and road wheels. I also have pedal power meter.

I've done a tri bike fit and got a list of recommended bikes that would fit me. The bikes that were recommended to me in prioritized order where:
  1. Scott Plasma 10 (2015+) Size L
  2. Felt B14 (2015-current) Size 56
  3. Specialized Shiv Size L
  4. Quintana Roo PR Five Size L
My fit coordinates were:
Bar clamp reach (Hx): 505
Bar clamp stack (Hy): 646
Pad X (rear): 415
Pad y (rear): 680
Crank Length: 175
Saddle Height 805

I'm looking for a bike that will last me several years and one that I can slowly acquire some upgrades between now and the full ironman. If I choose to continue doing triathlons I'd like to be able to roll some of the gear into a newer bike (like wheels, cockpit upgrades, etc.)

Option 1: Scott Plasma 10
I know that fit is one of the most important things when getting a triathlon bike but I have trouble understanding why I would get the Scott Plasma 10...it just seems pretty expensive for just getting a full mechanical ultegra groupset (unless I'm missing something else) and I have trouble seeing that being worth $1000+ more than the felt B14

Option 2: Felt B14
The felt B14 seems like a pretty decent first triathlon bik to get me in the aero position and get the majority of the benefits of a triathlon bike. Over time I'm assuming my position might get longer and lower and the adjustability of the B14 seems nice as I get more comfortable with the aero position. At a price of $2300 that leaves quite a bit of room for getting upgrades.

My problem with the felt B14 is that it's rim brake. If I'm going to buy a nice set of wheels would it make sense for my first triathlon bike to be disc brake? My current road bike is disc and it seems triathlon bikes are starting to move towards that.

Option 3: Cervelo P-Series
Now this bike just came out and I have no idea if this bike is a good fit for me. But I'm drawn to the bullet proof frame that has some technology flow down from the P5 and also it has disc brakes. I'd be looking at getting the 105 disc version which is $3200. I know the dic brakes are cable as opposed to hydraulics but at least a set of upgraded wheels would work on my Addic and/or a future triathlon bike upgrade (that will most likely be disc brake?)

Option 4: Quintana Roo Four or Five
I don't really know very much about Quintana Roo bikes. They seem like nice bikes and I think the same applies as the cerevelo. Any disc brake wheelsets that I buy now could be carried forward to a disc brake triathlon bike in the future.

What are your thoughts?

TL;DR: Is it worth spending $1000 extra for a mechanical disc brake bike so the wheels can be used on a better triathlon bike in the future...assuming that's the way the triathlon bike market is heading.
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance on First Triathlon Bike [LoneCrossfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did your fitter recommend 175mm cranks?
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance on First Triathlon Bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't know why they recommended 175mm crank. I do have pretty long legs (34 in inseam)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have a picture, in profile, or better yet a video, of your position during your fit session?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance on First Triathlon Bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm striking out providing useful information to you guys.

I don't have a video from the fit session. I know one was taken of me but I never asked for it when I did the fit several months ago. I'm going to reach out to the fitter and see if I can get it...probably wouldn't get it for several days. Would it just be better for me to delete and then re-post once I get my fit video?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LoneCrossfire wrote:
I'm striking out providing useful information to you guys.

I don't have a video from the fit session. I know one was taken of me but I never asked for it when I did the fit several months ago. I'm going to reach out to the fitter and see if I can get it...probably wouldn't get it for several days. Would it just be better for me to delete and then re-post once I get my fit video?

don't delete, you've already gone this far. i just want to make SURE your fit was done the way we all would've done it. if your HX/HY was, instead, your Pad X/Y (to pad center) i'd be happier.

but it isn't. your Pad X/Y to pad center is probably 455/680, and i doubt i'm going to like that position. i can prescribe exactly what you need, in any of your bikes you're looking at (and most others). but if i precisely prescribe a bike and set up that fits a position that we all think you can improve upon, then we haven't done you the best service.

perhaps you can PM me who your fitter was.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following this thread with interest, im in a similar boat to you and have the exact same Pad X/Y coordinates, which seem to be awkward for a lot of bikes. Cyclenutz and a couple others have helped me in the official fit threads for cervelo and QR which you could check out as I guess it will apply to you also.

My current thoughts are to be patient and pick up a second hand 2015+ P2/3 size 58 (though this size seems to be super rare compared to the smaller frames) and use that to train and race on over the next year or so whilst I improve and change position, as this is my first fit I expect it to change quite a bit. If I had a more matured position then id be eyeing up a new frame, QR PR5 being my favourite currently, though im not convinced on the disc brakes yet as im pretty poor at working on bikes and think id have more chance on a rim brake if needed.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance on First Triathlon Bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
your Pad X/Y to pad center is probably 455/680, and i doubt i'm going to like that position.

That seems like a very short reach / tall position. Perhaps there's a reason you need to be there and we're all second guessing the fitter you already put faith (and money) in. But it might be worth rehashing your assumptions because after all, this is the internet!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply