Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me find a watch!
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I realised today that relying on my phone to record my training has been making me look a lot better than I actually am due to wonky GPS, and as a result, I am now in the market for a GPS watch! I am looking for certain things in the watch and was hoping for a little help from you all! From your experience, what is the best watch with the following:

* Built in GPS
* Waterproof, competent recording triathlon activities
* Maps to track and follow routes
* Under $250

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! From what I've seen so far, the best options include the Coros Pace, Mobvoi Ticwatch S2, and the Garmin 735XT, but I don't think all of those have map capabilities. Does anyone have any experience with competent Wear OS options?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [Redskywalker7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't go wrong with the 735xt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COROS Pace. Garmin doesn't have a watch at that price-point ($200 new) with as many features (swim/bike/run/tri + more) and nearly the battery life (25 hours). I *think* COROS has some sort of mapping capability, but IDK if the Pace is compatible
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [Triingfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Garmin 735xt.

It is what I train with and use for racing. Amazon currently has it right at your budget mark. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I have had it for just about 2 seasons and have not had any battery issues, easily lasts for 12 hours between charges. When I use it during ironmans, I dont track the swim and just put it on in T1. Although I think it could track the entire race, I am right at 12 hours for an ironman and dont want to risk running out of battery during the run.

Edit:
the 735xt does have map capabilities but I have not tried to using it. I have a group ride this saturday and if they post the route I might try to see how the navigation works as this is something I have been wanting to try. The display seems small and looking at your watch for a map while riding sounds dangerous, I think it just vibrates and says to turn left/right but i am just guessing at the moment.
Last edited by: rutsackrun: Oct 4, 19 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [rutsackrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The turn-by-turn "navigation" on the 735 isn't great, but it's more than adequate to follow a road route. It alerts you before you need to turn and then when you need to turn, and it then tells you if you're off course. It does not have any of the more advanced navigation or map capabilities that other devices have, but it works okay for following an established route.

I've loved my 735, and you can often find them on sale for a great price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto the current majority vote: 735XT.

The 735XT is more than your "under $250" threshold, but if mapping is important, then that is your best bet. I had one, and loved it. I now have a 945 and love that.

Some comments on your criteria

• Built in GPS - pretty much everyone does this, so not a differentiator
  • Waterproof - pretty much everyone does this as well
  • Multisport - major differentiator - this drives to a few products that can record a triathlon
  • Course Guidance - again, this is a significant differentiator, but most of the multisport watches do this to some degree
  • Under $250 - few multisport watches are priced here (maybe the Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR)

Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to use the course guidance in multisport mode? I have a race on Sunday that I missed a turn on last year and would like to reduce my chances of repeating that mistake...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never tried it, but I do not think so. The way course guidance works is that you create a course and upload it to the watch. Then, you go into an activity type that corresponds to the course, and select "Do Course" from the menu. So, to do a course on a multisport, event, there would need to be a "Do Course" option somewhere in the multisport menues. It could be there, but I have never looked... though I will when I get back to my watch. That would be freakin' cool.

I usually use my bike computer during triathlons, so I may use courses on that in the future. I love the new ClimbPro feature, and my biggest risk of missing a turn is on the bike (done it before too).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [rutsackrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant, thanks for the insight! Yeah, any feedback on how the navigation works after your ride would be great! Even if it just does what you say, I should stop me from getting lost out in the middle of no where, especially if I am alone. From your feedback, this is probably my top choice now.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant, thanks, this was as comprehensive as I needed. From this, I really am leaning toward the 735XT now... I love that you can upload routes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another 2¢... The 735XT does not have base maps, so it only does breadcrumb mapping. This actually works great for running, probably better than map-based routing. As you are running, it beeps and does a screen pop-up to indicate and upcoming turn and then again to alert you to turn. And when you miss a turn, it shows your relative position to your breadcrumb course that you can use to self-navigate back on course. (I actually prefer this to how my 945 does its course guidance.)

However, this would probably suck for cycling. In fact, I think that any watch, even a 956, would suck for cycling. The reason is that the screen is too small and you need notifications sooner and more specifically than a watch could provide. I use a 530 for mapping on the bike now, and it kind of requires constant monitoring to avoid missing a turn. You would miss lots of turns with a watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redskywalker7 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I realised today that relying on my phone to record my training has been making me look a lot better than I actually am due to wonky GPS, and as a result, I am now in the market for a GPS watch! I am looking for certain things in the watch and was hoping for a little help from you all! From your experience, what is the best watch with the following:

* Built in GPS
* Waterproof, competent recording triathlon activities
* Maps to track and follow routes
* Under $250

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! From what I've seen so far, the best options include the Coros Pace, Mobvoi Ticwatch S2, and the Garmin 735XT, but I don't think all of those have map capabilities. Does anyone have any experience with competent Wear OS options?

Polar Vantage M. or V.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance you can get Garmin products for 35% off
https://www.blue365deals.com/BCBSNC/

Garmin 735XT - $227.49
Garmin 935 - $324.99
Garmin 945 - $389.99
Last edited by: mike s: Oct 4, 19 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the Sigma iD.Tri
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I had no clue about this watch. I am trying to find a review of it online, but having a hard time. Do you own the watch? Anything more you could tell me about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a watch! [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Does the watch allow you to race previous activities? i.e. informs you of how far behind/ahead you are in either time and/or distance?
Quote Reply