Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Using bike fit coodinates to purchase a used tri bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m confused then. The fitter said that without a bike the only fitting that could be done was taking measurements to get the numbers on that attachment from previous post - so I could go get a bike. Then after getting a bike they could do another fit using my bike to dial everything in.
Quote Reply
Re: Using bike fit coodinates to purchase a used tri bike [ericfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Using bike fit coodinates to purchase a used tri bike [ericfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't get a bike fit. Maybe ask for your money back.
Quote Reply
Re: Using bike fit coodinates to purchase a used tri bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried.

That's the same two articles I linked in post #2.
Quote Reply
Re: Using bike fit coodinates to purchase a used tri bike [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the fitter at Bike Authority I would need an actual bike to be able to complete their other service which would be adjusting the bike.

Their standard measurement service is listed on their website which is what I got. It seems by the description in the service that they did what they were supposed to...

Without a bike what else could they have done for me? Is there a different person somewhere around my area that would have given me something different?

I found a couple recommendations from members on this site which led me to Bike Authority in Broadview Heights

Now I feel I got scammed maybe???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericfox wrote:
According to the fitter at Bike Authority I would need an actual bike to be able to complete their other service which would be adjusting the bike.

Their standard measurement service is listed on their website which is what I got. It seems by the description in the service that they did what they were supposed to...

Without a bike what else could they have done for me? Is there a different person somewhere around my area that would have given me something different?

I found a couple recommendations from members on this site which led me to Bike Authority in Broadview Heights

Now I feel I got scammed maybe???

I tried to warn you in my very first post. Read every article in the "Bike Fit" section of this website. I linked it in post #2, as has MattyK.

Here is a list of fitters in Ohio, from the database of FIST fitters. I didn't check their location on a map. But, they are in your state.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...elist.php?state=ohio

Any fitter worth talking to, should have a database of previous fits for you to look at. In other words, before/after photos/videos of other riders who have paid for their services. You should be able to review these and decide of you like the way the fitter does his/her job. It might be an instragram account, or a book, or a website, or whatever. But, if you can't get a positive answer to "do you have some examples of your work..." don't waste your time or money.

"At best, you get what you pay for." applies to this market. Unfortunately, "at best" is key. $300 doesn't guarantee a good fit either. So, you've GOT TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Consisder fitter selection to be an interview/employee selection process.

You've got to go read that article on Reasonable Fit Expectations (I linked it, and now MattyK has done so, also)---so that you know what a good fit session should be, and what the outputs should include. In brief, a good fit session should:

1. Take a couple of hours. You need time to warmup on the bike. You need time to ride in each position change---to make sure it feels good after a while, not just 30 seconds. There's time to make the adjustments, time to create video, time to discuss your goals and riding style, time to do a physical assessment, etc. If a first time fit session takes less than 2 hours, its probably not a good session---mine was closer to 3 hrs.

2. Include a discussion of your riding goals (short course, long course, FOP/BOP, TT, etc).

3. Include a physical assessment: ailments, injury proneness, training history, joint mobility, etc. Not that a fit is driven by normal flexibility, but if you have some abnormal mobility limitations (or other physical abnormalities) that may play into the fit somehow.

4. A saddle fit (there are a gazillion split nosed saddles, not all are comfortable to everyone). Most fit systems include an easy way to quickly exchange a library of saddles to allow you to see which is most comfortable. If the seat doesn't feel good, you won't ever hold a good aero position.

5. Include before and after videos, and photos. With summary of adjustments made, and why.

6. Substantial time riding in the final position, at a reasonable power, to ensure its comfortable.

7. For first times, general advice on riding in the TT position. Eg, knees in, ankles flexed, upper body relaxed resting on skeletal structure (not holding position with muscle tension).

8. A complete report of the session, my fit report was about 20 pages long.

9. Cost $200-$300.

There's nothing special about doing a fit on a real bike. In fact, its easier to do a complete fit on a "fit bike system" than it is to do on a real bike. Adjustments are easier, and can be dialed in to the mm, seat heigh, crank length, pad stack/reach, etc. All can be micro-adjusted. So, someone telling you that they can't do a complete fit until you've bought a bike either, a) doesn't know what they are talking about, or b) is trying to sell you a bike not a "bike fit."
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 8, 19 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at their website you didnt get scammed... Like you said you got exactly what you ordered, it just wasnt a real bike fit.

What all of us would have wanted to see is for the to put you on their dynamic fit bike with aerobars and find the exact position that you should ride. Then from here you can buy a bike knowing that it can meet that exact position and when you get it you just set it to that position and start riding.

Sounds like the shop gave you a very approximate estimate of where people sized like you usually end up getting fit, and then once you buy a bike they will actually fit you to it, and hope you are close enough to the estimate that the bike fits.

I would recommend either seeing if the shop will do the part 2 of your fit now , on a fit bike with aerobars to get your exact fit coordinates, or start fresh with a new shop.
Quote Reply

Prev Next