Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better groupset on training bike than racing bike
Quote | Reply
I’m at the start of a bike build. Looking to start buying parts. It’s looking like it will actually be cheaper to equip my new bike with 105 11sp. My current tt bike is ultegra with 10sp. It seems like a lot of extra headache to try and put 11sp on my tt bike plus I love my wheels (ttr3) and shifters (vision Merton trigger shifters). Is it worth having a lesser groupset with better wheels and an r2c style bar end shifter? I’m really on the fence. As I’m positive having an extra cog won’t make me faster, but I’m pretty sure the ttr3 while not Zipp by any stretch are pretty spry.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Better groupset on training bike than racing bike [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my bikes are 10 speed. And I race and train perfectly fine. Not to mention, my tri bike is a 1x10.

I'm waiting for 13 speed before I upgrade.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race bike is SRAM rival 10spd, while my roadie is 11spd Ultegra Di2.....just because they were bought at different times. Def not worth upgrading the tri groupset and getting new race wheels. Besides, I put so many more miles on the roadie that having the nicer grouppo there makes sense.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I’m at the start of a bike build. Looking to start buying parts. It’s looking like it will actually be cheaper to equip my new bike with 105 11sp. My current tt bike is ultegra with 10sp. It seems like a lot of extra headache to try and put 11sp on my tt bike plus I love my wheels (ttr3) and shifters (vision Merton trigger shifters). Is it worth having a lesser groupset with better wheels and an r2c style bar end shifter? I’m really on the fence. As I’m positive having an extra cog won’t make me faster, but I’m pretty sure the ttr3 while not Zipp by any stretch are pretty spry.

I haven't noticed much difference between DA, Ultegra, and 105...maybe a slight difference in smoothness at the higher end, and a small weight savings. On the other hand, the lower end seems to require less tweaking and might even last a bit longer, although my observation is anecdotal, rather than scientific.

However, I'm a huge advocate of having all my bikes compatible. It makes swapping wheels much easier, and if a part breaks the night before a race, I can borrow the part from another bike...derailleur, shifter, crank, etc. Other than the Italian bikes, which HAD to have Campy components (lest I offend the purists), all my stuff has been Shimano and all the same series (mostly DA, a couple Ultegra and 105 bikes in the mix, however).
Quote Reply
Re: Better groupset on training bike than racing bike [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

I haven't noticed much difference between DA, Ultegra, and 105...maybe a slight difference in smoothness at the higher end, and a small weight savings. On the other hand, the lower end seems to require less tweaking and might even last a bit longer, although my observation is anecdotal, rather than scientific.

However, I'm a huge advocate of having all my bikes compatible. It makes swapping wheels much easier, and if a part breaks the night before a race, I can borrow the part from another bike...derailleur, shifter, crank, etc. Other than the Italian bikes, which HAD to have Campy components (lest I offend the purists), all my stuff has been Shimano and all the same series (mostly DA, a couple Ultegra and 105 bikes in the mix, however).

I generally am too, but finding parts that are both new and run has proven to be more expensive than getting newer more modern group sets. Unless I go with MicroSHIFT’s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you're going to go 10 speed, it's WAYYYY easier to go used. It shouldn't be too hard to find parts that have been lightly used.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Better groupset on training bike than racing bike [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I think if you're going to go 10 speed, it's WAYYYY easier to go used. It shouldn't be too hard to find parts that have been lightly used.

I guess you could say I’m over cautious in that regard or have trust issues. Lightly used is kind of a fluid term. If it’s 2000 miles yeah, obviously that’s probably a good one to buy. But I fear spending $30 on something that’s been through 100 rain storms and breaks in half after 2 months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My main road bike and now spare roadie and trainer bike is 2003 vintage 9 speed 105. Tt bike 10 speed ultegra/da shifters, and new road bike 11sp ultegra cable shift hydraulic disk.

There are no issues when riding, but the inability to run the deep wheels on new road bike is a bit of a pain, and indeed the reason I've not upgraded the tribike until I can get one with disks to enable that swapping.

So what that should tell you is old parts (105/ultegra) will be fine, I've done more than 40,000km on it since I bought it 3rd had in 2010. Having mixed stuff is a bit of hassle in the shed, but not on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Better groupset on training bike than racing bike [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got myself a rear mech Tiagra 4600 for $26. Brand new. Took some searching but got it! Now only for the rest of the bike haha.
In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch this video and sleep soundly again. Indurain is riding this hilly tt on a 7 or 8 speed, it really doesnt matter

If that isn't enough, then find the movie where the guys are selling stereos and one volume dial goes to 11 and the other to 10 and the customer asks if the 11 is louder
Quote Reply