Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caffeine during a marathon
Quote | Reply
I have a marathon coming up and I have been caffeine depleting, like I do before all IM events. During triathlons, I usually take in some caffeine late in race from either a gel or flat soda.
I was thinking about trying to take in caffeine during the marathon but I don't take in too many calories (gels) while just strictly running.
Anyone try caffeine pills or something else during a marathon? I want to try taking it on my long run this weekend to see how it goes.
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [weiky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiky wrote:
I have a marathon coming up and I have been caffeine depleting, like I do before all IM events. During triathlons, I usually take in some caffeine late in race from either a gel or flat soda.
I was thinking about trying to take in caffeine during the marathon but I don't take in too many calories (gels) while just strictly running.
Anyone try caffeine pills or something else during a marathon? I want to try taking it on my long run this weekend to see how it goes.
Thank you!

Frank Shorter drank defizzed Coke on his way to winning the Oly mary in 1972, and silver in '76. IMO, defizzed Coke and Mtn Dew are "the bomb" for training and for partially restoring cals burned during training.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.researchgate.net/...formance_in_Athletes

"Conclusion: Our findings show that both 2 and 4 mg/kg caffeine improve 10-km cycling time, but only in those with the AA genotype. Caffeine had no effect in those with the AC genotype and diminished performance at 4 mg/kg in those with the CC genotype. CYP1A2 genotype should be considered when deciding whether an athlete should use caffeine for enhancing endurance performance."

If you do not know your CYP1A2 genotype you can stick to 2 mg/kg. Or zero.

Personally I use caffeine gel (own), or Coke or RedBull (available at service point) at the end of 70.3 (not doing IM).

And my regular breakfast coffee cup is enough for shorter races (2 hours, ...).

For a 3 or 4 hour race, I will do the same as in 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiky wrote:
Thank you!

I only fuel with Huma Chia gels. They have an amazing chocolate flavor with caffeine. They also have a few 2x caffeine flavors that are like eating dessert. They only have 100 calories.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

"Conclusion: Our findings show that both 2 and 4 mg/kg caffeine improve 10-km cycling time, but only in those with the AA genotype. Caffeine had no effect in those with the AC genotype and diminished performance at 4 mg/kg in those with the CC genotype. CYP1A2 genotype should be considered when deciding whether an athlete should use caffeine for enhancing endurance performance."

A 10km TT is probably like 15min and 2-4mg/kg is 144-288mg of caffeine for a 160lb (72kg) rider which is between 1.5 and 3 cups of coffee. Have you seen any studies for a longer event?

Anyways when I run I use gels that have caffeine in them and usually take in around 60mg/hr and I'm 195lbs (88kg)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought some caffeine pills when I was travelling back and forth often between asia and the us (I really don't like airplane coffee). they worked fine there, so probably worth a try if you really don't want the calories from a gel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the SIS caffeinated gels or caffeinated gum during my long runs, easier dosing.
Last edited by: Brad Fio: Oct 3, 19 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long do people abstain from caffeine pre race? Would a week suffice to reduce tolerance? 2vweeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the caffeine level tested are between 1 and 4 cups, depending on your weight and the type of coffe (and size of cup :-)

Normally caffeine is eliminated after 6 to 8 hour. Do not know if it is faster when training/racing. Possibly.

So, for the 10km TT bike, they assume the level is nearly stable.

For longer races : if you take caffeine just before, then race 3 or 4 hours, your caffeine level is probably down 50% or more, then you can take again half your usual portion. Or a bit more. Or compensate every hour loses taking 20 to 50 mg/h (288 / 6 = 48). What you do, apparently.

I'm less scientific, just grabbing some coke or red bull in addition to my caffeine gel during the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know. I don't do that.

Personally I only take 2 (small) cups per day (morning + lunch), and increase a bit on long training session and race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a good GU post on caffeine and the benefits (https://guenergy.com/...all-things-caffeine/)

Check out GU Cold Brew Coffee (https://shop.guenergy.com/...230914653.1565893100). With 70mg of Caffeine plus the GU BCAA blend, these are definitely a good option to try.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take caffeine pills all the time, they work like a charm. Take on before the race and one around mile 13 and you’re set. 200mg each.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Frank Shorter drank defizzed Coke on his way to winning the Oly mary in 1972, and silver in '76. IMO, defizzed Coke and Mtn Dew are "the bomb" for training and for partially restoring cals burned during training.

And how does one make that, exactly?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You open up the bottles up the night before. Or you can put it in a big pitcher and stir vigorously.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine during a marathon [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take First Endurance pre race pills during Ironman’s and marathons. I just did Berlin marathon and took 2 pills (recommend 3) around mile 15 thinking I would need just a little more focus around mile 18-23. It worked well. I just started to fade around 16 and the pills kicked in (it’s not a spike of energy). I think they work well and just give you a bit more mental focus when you need it. Try it out in training.
Quote Reply