Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Tire Choice [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
I train outside 2-3 times a year and when I do, I use set of aluminum rims with gatorskins. Race wheels/tires are only used on race day, and I only race 2-3 times a year.
Slight tangent but related:

I would recommend using the better tyres that are just taking up space by the sounds of it, in place of those Gatorskins for whatever outdoor rides you do. Gatorskins are never the right choice in my opinion. I used them for a time when I knew no better. They were no better for punctures and were much less enjoyable to ride than the Conti GP4000s, GP4000sII, GP 4 Seasons, Michelin Pro4 SC, and Mavic Ypsion(?) tyres that I used in subsequent years. Do you actually get punctures, or do you just worry about them? I have averaged less than one a year for the last 5 years using GP4000s and GP4000sII for the majority of my riding, with the rest on the Michelins. And I've done the vast majority of my training outdoors so I've often had several thousand kilometers between punctures (which even then only take a few minutes to fix).
In reality you will never wear out the three sets of "race" tyres you have on hand. You may as well train on them and enjoy your outdoor rides as much as possible and then bin them if/when they do wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tire Choice [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
Would really like to avoid buying another set of tires that only see the light of day once or twice a year....

I looked at my old roller data and the Attack/Force rolled pretty well. Definitely better than the 4000s II. I did have a lot of flat problems with those tries and they are super wide, even compared to the new 23/25 Conti tires. On a 17mm rim they will look like lollipops.

Kona is a huge expense and undertaking, so I wouldn't think twice about picking up a pair of the 23 5000s. I bought one pair this springs and they are still going great with no flatss and very little flat spotting of the rear tire with 1000s of miles. Definitely the Goldilocks tire.

The other advantage is that you can now ride your race wheels all year long because those tires don't need to be babied.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tire Choice [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I don’t need tire advice on my end. I didn’t have good luck with the previous version of the attack or force and haven’t used them since. Depending on the scenario, I use the newer, old version GP SS in front and GP TT or Corsa Speed in the back for racing.

This is what I'm doing for Kona. 20 GP SS on front (measures 24mm on enve), 23 GP TT on rear.
Quote Reply

Prev Next