Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Colorado Springs Residents!
Quote | Reply
My husband and I are moving to Colorado Springs around February/March and looking to buy. For those who are familiar with the area, where's the best/worst places for triathletes to live?

Right now we're looking at Rockrimmon, Monument, and Briargate areas. Does anyone have experience with the cycling in these areas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He's working at the AF academy so any other recommendations for areas in close proximity is appreciated!

Also for further in the future - any recommendations for running/triathlon groups!?

-Katie
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Colorado Springs Residents! [ktommila] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not going to be much help but here are my thoughts.

Biking from Monument to Palmer Lake out Spruce Mtn road or highway 105 going north towards Larkspur area isn't bad. I used to bike a bunch through the Black Forest and Highway 83 but traffic over the past several years, especially with the current construction on I25 going north, has made it unsafe. Most roads through that area don't have any shoulders and the area continues to grow rapidly.

Lot's of great running around the Academy, around Monument, Santa Fe Trail, and Spruce Mountain/Greenland open space is where I do a bunch of running.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Denver resident here, Strava heatmaps are a good resource for where people are riding:
https://www.strava.com/...99/38.86154/hot/ride

I'd personally avoid Monument. Rockrimmon/Briargate would both be nice with solid proximity to the AF Academy. I'd highly recommend renting in one of the areas first for a few months to figure out where you want to be. Or at least take a long weekend trip out to explore the areas you're thinking about.

It's also highly variable on what your target housing price is. If you're under $400k, there are going to be a lot more options towards Briargate. Closer to the mountains = more $$$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of those 3 you'll have the easiest access to a pool (which also has a masters program pikes peak athletics), road riding, group riding, group running, trail running, and mtn biking from Rockrimmon.
Monument is pretty far out from civilization but is quiet, very very pretty and has some technical trails
Briargate is sprawling surburbia without much access to trails or a masters program but there's a decent pool at a YMCA in that area.

If I ever move back, I would no doubt live in the Rockrimmon area above those other two, but my biggest priorities are being in the best area to train and be social.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Colorado Springs Residents! [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree that the Rockrimmon is probably your best bet. I live north in Castle Rock but commute to my office in the Springs, and I swim at the Pikes Peak Athletics masters (there are some super fast swimmers there, and then those like me). The road riding in that area and north by the Academy are going to be the best, If you're into gravel, all kinds of opportunities east and north of town, particularly around Greenland to Elbert. You can ride miles and miles of challenging hilly dirt and gravel roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Colorado Springs Residents! [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much this is helpful! I would love to get a gravel bike and have more access.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Colorado Springs Residents! [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve never used strava heatmaps this was really helpful thank you so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a few years at the Academy as a younger man ... if you have access to the base the riding there is awesome. Plenty of roads and trails and wide shoulders with relatively little traffic. The running is also great.

Monument is not too far up the road, briargate is definitely a little suburban sprawl.

Traffic in CO continues to get worse, try to minimize your commute if you can.

drn92
Quote Reply