Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"No more races for me this year. Not sure yet what I will be doing next year, but I’d like to h e a productive offseason."

I guess it depends what you mean by productive but I wouldn't expect to get much faster with what you described. You shouldn't be trying to fit in bike and especially run workouts, those should be the framework and if you have time for the other stuff then great.

I made some big gains by significantly increasing my run volume from ~20 mpw in year 1 to 40 mpw in year 2 and 55 mpw in year 3 (took 5k time from 23 mins to 18 mins over that stretch) and by using a power meter to structure my bike workouts and making them much harder than they had been.

As far as swimming, the technique work and underwater camera can be great if someone who knows what they are doing is looking at it and giving you stroke corrections, but you still need to swim a lot. Finding a good group to swim with can help a lot.

I can’t go full throttle SBR 12 months a year. That would burn me out and I wouldn’t enjoy it. I’m looking for some down-time, but also staying active and building a base so when I ramp up for training, I will have a better foundation to draw from.

I have always been told that yoga is something i should be doing. I have the flexibility of a log. So I would tend to agree. And being more flexible/mobility/core strength would be a benefit.

I’m not a swim coach but I watch a lot of effortless swimming breakdowns of videos to know what are some key things to look for in a stroke analysis. When training gets in full swing, I can work on pushing intervals and getting faster. But spending the winter months trying to ingrain GOOD habits isn’t a bad thing, and would help me be faster.

Strength training in and of itself doesn’t necessarily make me faster, but when I start heavy bike and run training next year, it sure would be nice to do so Roth more strength and explosiveness in my legs from a couple months of dedicated and targeted weight training.

And I will bike and run on weekends for fun and to keep those disciplines still active, even if they are not the focus.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what a plan would look like and I’m really happy with this setup. If I just go full throttle from now until April when races start, I’ll be a burned out broken man before the first race of the year. I like the direction this plan takes me.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need to go full throttle on all 3 sports.

For some offseasons, I stopped biking/swimming entirely and just ran for 3 months. My running improved a lot. 6 weeks after starting up all 3 again, my biking and swimming were back to their previous levels, and my gains in the run remained.

One of the nice things about running is that it is very time efficient...50 mpw would take ~6 hours.

Good luck with your offseason.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
I generally continue to train as if I'm at the peak of my season. Chasing ghosts of races that have passed months ago. Going waay to hard through the Fall until I'm finally injured in some catastrophic way that requires me to stop training. Then while I wait for my [Stress fracture | torn something | tendinitis] to heal, I call it my off season.

This - and then I repeatedly drink myself into a stupor throughout the holidays. Winning.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
hadukla wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
hadukla wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I dunno, but dropping the bar at the top of the movement sets off all kinds of triggers for me.

This is the method described by Ryan Flaherty. He had a performance academy where nfl prospects would come and work out trying to get faster before the combine. And now he’s director of performance at Nike. He said that lifting up is what strengthens the muscle and builds explosiveness. When you de-load, that’s what tears it and promotes it to grow (and add mass). By dropping it at the top, you get the benefit, but aren’t adding additional bulk.

He was a guest on the Tim Ferris podcast a while ago talking about his methodology.

Listened to the first part of the podcast and Ryan definitely cautions that everything he says is specific to powerful movements like sprinting. He doesn't explain why it wouldn't apply to an endurance runner but I can guess that one reason may be that we need that build of muscle mass due to what we lose by training for endurance. I work at Nike and might try to get a question into him about it as I am curious though. I'd love to drop that shit, the way down is always so hard but that's what makes it beneficial, I'm sure...

He helped train Meb for his Boston Marathon win and this was part of the training. So it’s definitely not just for sprinters.

I stand corrected. Just got to that part and not just a part of his training but he seems to credit that process alone as the reason behind his improvement. Yay, now I get to drop weights like a meathead!

Be careful not to set off any lunk alarms 🚨

I know that I've mentioned this before, but I have found that - in the weight room - a tech race shirt is a pretty effective Invisibility Cloak

However, a loud, crashing sound is bound to attract attention

3 strength workouts done, and I have quickly decided that I’d rather add a little bit of mass than being the meathead in the gym throwing weights around all over the place 😂. Also it compounds the issue when you are a triathlete and thus can barely lift more than a Girl Scout. Not something you want to call attention to!
Quote Reply

Prev Next