Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheapest and simplest solution is probably:

https://www.amazon.com/...etooth/dp/B01MTRWNRU
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
It’s is bottom bracket bearings. It’s always the bb30 bearings on that bike. The bike is fine. Your options are to become zen and learn to live with it, do something drastic like epoxy the bearings in the frame, or get rid of the bike.

How about just replacing the bearings, would that not work?
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [xdays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBS replaced BB bearings and that seems to have finally fixed the noise issue. Thank you all for your valuable input...much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it BB30?
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Was it BB30?

Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got some gnarly creaking in my frame and have a strong feeling it's the BB as well.

Do you know what type of bearings they replaced yours with? I've been looking at some angular contact bearings, but not sure if they'll be better than standard bearings.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I've got some gnarly creaking in my frame and have a strong feeling it's the BB as well.

Do you know what type of bearings they replaced yours with? I've been looking at some angular contact bearings, but not sure if they'll be better than standard bearings.

I don't know, but I will ask them.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:

Typically the creak in BB30 is the bearing moving within the frame. So how the bearings move with the spindle isn't the problem. The bearings aren't held in the frame by anything like a thread so they can move a little and that can be the creak. You can get specific retaining compounds (like loctite 609) that are meant to hold the bearing in place and stop that little movement. Try different bearings by all means but if you do that google the installation method (degrease, retaining compound) so you are covering all the bases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xdays wrote:
gmh39 wrote:

I have been running Wheels angular contact bearing in a pressfit BB frames for a few years now. I think they last longer and they way they are designed to handle the force load of you cranks better resulting in a lower friction. They won't help with the creaking side unless your standard bearings are worn out. If you have a BB30 frame it is regular maintenance and placing grease around the bearing to stop it creaking thats just the way it is I have had Cannondales since they invented BB30. If you have a PF30 frame get this bottom bracket being tensioned into the frame it is a long period between creaks...

https://wheelsmfg.com/...s-shimano-black.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know because I have the exact same bike and have the same noise, stopped riding it and started riding my IA in June and need to take it in to get it fixed as I get back on it and put the IA on the trainer in a couple weeks for the winter. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
xdays wrote:
gmh39 wrote:

I have been running Wheels angular contact bearing in a pressfit BB frames for a few years now. I think they last longer and they way they are designed to handle the force load of you cranks better resulting in a lower friction. They won't help with the creaking side unless your standard bearings are worn out. If you have a BB30 frame it is regular maintenance and placing grease around the bearing to stop it creaking thats just the way it is I have had Cannondales since they invented BB30. If you have a PF30 frame get this bottom bracket being tensioned into the frame it is a long period between creaks...

https://wheelsmfg.com/...s-shimano-black.html

I'm running the same Wheels BB on my Specialized cross/gravel bike that had terrible BB noise issues (PF30) and it solved all noise issues immediately!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reviving this for the benefit of others, my "pay it forward..."

My bike picked up a nasty creek. sounded like the BB. So I changed:

3 BB's (all used but should have been good)
3 cranks, (also used),
different chain rings and bolts.

No help!
Cleaned and tightened steering head, etc.
No help!

greased cassette splines and changed cassette. But...
(drum roll please) in taking off rear wheel I noticed the skewer was not very tight.

Put wheel back on with (changed and greased cassette splines) with tight skewer!

Perfecto!!!

Lesson learned - I would have bet a grand it was the BB - or worse yet, the carbon frame was fatigued and toast. The ears sure can play tricks.

Enjoy the journey.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very similar problem with my old Scott, ended up sending it back to the manufacturer, it ended up being the front derailleur was loose...make sure to check every little bolt that could be loose around the area. Also, make sure you pedal threads are well greased.....
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
reviving this for the benefit of others, my "pay it forward..."

My bike picked up a nasty creek. sounded like the BB. So I changed:

3 BB's (all used but should have been good)
3 cranks, (also used),
different chain rings and bolts.

No help!
Cleaned and tightened steering head, etc.
No help!

greased cassette splines and changed cassette. But...
(drum roll please) in taking off rear wheel I noticed the skewer was not very tight.

Put wheel back on with (changed and greased cassette splines) with tight skewer!

Perfecto!!!

Lesson learned - I would have bet a grand it was the BB - or worse yet, the carbon frame was fatigued and toast. The ears sure can play tricks.

Enjoy the journey.

I also once had noises with my TT which seemed to come from the BB and it turned out to be a skewer.
With my gravel bike the noise came from a loosened crank.

Slightly off-topic, although it also makes noise: I had the rear rim of my TT touching my brake pads especially when standing. I constantly played with the position of my brake pads and even with the forward/backword position of my rear wheel. I had this issue a couple of years until I finally came to the idea of tensioning my spokes which solved the problem once and for all. I just never thought of that because it is a system wheel (808 FC), whereby you can take less care about spokes than with the classic spoked wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you solved this and this thread helped me as well, so thought I would post my solution in case someone searches in the future.

I took out the bearings and adapters on my Felt 3X and went back in with a Rotor BB30-24 Bottom Bracket converter. There were many choices such as Wheels Mfg, etc. but went with what was available that I could get. I was super easy to install and it has been excellent so far (super quiet and no more creaking).

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt IA FRD noise sounded like loose ball bearings could not find it. Finally my salesman from the shop hopped on a bike and rode along side me. It was the carbon fiber nose cone rubbing together. Some friction grease a little tape fixed the problem. Carbon fiber transmit sounds through the bike....look for carbon rubbing someplace.
Quote Reply

Prev Next