Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you calling out to eat with your mind?

Psychologically speaking - how are you communicating with your stomach? If you think of the incoming food and gels on the run as good and needed and tasty and focus on the food, your stomach may turn around. Just a thought.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [IronMattBach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any issues with absorption/digestion when you add something like 3-7 servings in a bottle? Do you have to follow it with more water? I know other products state with their mix that if you have a more concentrated bottle you need to drink more water after
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. The short answer is no. Since the osmolality of SuperStarch is so low, it doesn't require a lot of water to transport molecules through the stomach and into the gut. Other companies have products that are underlied by either simple sugars (fructose, glucose, etc) or maltodextrin and since there are tons of molecules (relatively) in the same amount of space, it takes a lot more water to transport those molecules through the stomach.

That said, when you concentrate UCAN to those proportions, it is quite thick and chalky so even though you don't necessarily need to drink all sorts of water in order to process it, you will want to drink water to wash it down.

Matthew J Bach
Director - Triathlon Business
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [IronMattBach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay. thanks. my issue is not uncommon of course in that at the IM distance the logistics of carrying what you need, mixing at an aid station, storing bottles in special needs. I haven't quite nailed my nutrition in IM distance yet. HIM is of course far easier.
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally. You can kind of "fake it" in a 70.3, but not in an IM

I've never worked with someone who's had to mix up drinks at aid stations - only ever pre-mixed. Don't want to have to mess with that mess during a race. Happy to help dial in your approach as you approach your next race.

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronMattBach wrote:
Totally. You can kind of "fake it" in a 70.3, but not in an IM

I've never worked with someone who's had to mix up drinks at aid stations - only ever pre-mixed. Don't want to have to mess with that mess during a race. Happy to help dial in your approach as you approach your next race.

thanks. I'll reach out if I need some help. Not sure if I'll do full distance or not next year. I've stored bottles in special needs and it works okay. but would prefer just have pre-mixed. But I've definitely known people mixing at aid stations but I don't want to waste that team even if I'm not aiming for podium.
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

Psychologically speaking - how are you communicating with your stomach? If you think of the incoming food and gels on the run as good and needed and tasty and focus on the food, your stomach may turn around. Just a thought.

I tried morse code, don't think it worked ;)
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
plant_based wrote:

I tried morse code, don't think it worked ;)

Damn, morse code usually does the trick!

(Sean Connery accent)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed!

I freeze mine the night before and the second one, which is in my special-needs bike, stays cool long just long enough. Can't say the same for the one I put in my bike-to-run bag at IMC 2016 - 'twas pretty ripe from being in the sun all day.I dumped it within the first couple of kms and got calories at the aid stations.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For Perpetuem - I have to chase each sip with Nuun+water, but that's a great way to ensure I get nutrition, water and electrolytes throughout the ride.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
I've always had sensitive stomach when running. This weekend completed my sixth IM in hot/humid conditions and again my stomach was the limiting factor. I feel I could have dropped a good 10 minutes from the run if I was not in so much pain. My legs felt fine, my HR was spot on, I wasn't working very hard.

I reduced my race food intake over the years trying to address this; this year it was pasta dinner night before, 3 Ensures (350cals each) at 4 am, about 900 calories on 5 hour bike (banana bread and gels) and only water on the run. I'm at fatmax @190np so not digging into glycogen stores too much and good with energy level throughout the race (this is third IM where I take no nutrition on the run and I'm not close to bonking). Felt good on the bike but my stomach hurt badly on the run and I could barely even get water in.
The standard advice (train your gut for 300 cals/hour), just does not work for me. I eat the same as race day with no issues on long training days, don't see any "training" happening.

Anyone has similar experience or ideas how to fix this, or should I just accept the fact that I don't have the stomach for long distance racing?

thanks

Hi Doron,

IME, Maltodextrin is a game-changer (to keep osmolality within optimal range in the heat). I would highly recommend trying the next with your core nutrition based around pure maltodextrin.

Other factor to look at would be concentration. In the heat, keeping your mix to ~6% by establishing a good water base early is important for athletes with a history of gut 'shut down'.

A few more thoughts on the optimal mix for hot weather races here... https://alancouzens.com/blog/hot_nutrition.html

Also, what is your fat burn (in kcal/min) at race power?

Best,

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Oct 20, 19 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have advice because this stuff is so personal, and I am a forever back-of-the-pack, so here is a totally anecdotal just my experience bit of info.

I’ve had GI distress in every standalone marathon I’ve done (4 total) and an angry belly at the end of every standalone half M- but during my long rides in training for my one 70.3, I upped my electrolytes but not my calories and in the run at the end, my whole situation was totally fine. I took all of three SIS isotonic gels and drank Skratch in a normal concentration. Took plain water from the aid stations. It wasn’t a hot day and it was not a tough bike course (Maine 70.3 in August).

I am pretty sure that you couldn’t JUST up electrolytes in an IM and cut caloric intake but maybe that could be a thing to play around with during some brick workouts or longer rides. What’s that thing you all type? Your mileage may vary...
Last edited by: YoMoGo: Oct 20, 19 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alan Couzens wrote:

Hi Doron,

IME, Maltodextrin is a game-changer (to keep osmolality within optimal range in the heat). I would highly recommend trying the next with your core nutrition based around pure maltodextrin.

Other factor to look at would be concentration. In the heat, keeping your mix to ~6% by establishing a good water base early is important for athletes with a history of gut 'shut down'.

A few more thoughts on the optimal mix for hot weather races here... https://alancouzens.com/blog/hot_nutrition.html

Best,

Thanks Alan, this is great stuff.
Your article is very helpful. I read it a while ago, but stupidly didn't really treat my race-day nutrition scientifically and pragmatic enough. I only played with the carbs quantities and experimented with various products, but always got similar results.
I will definitely pay attention to osmolality and beef up sodium dramatically (I only took about 1,000mg through the whole race).

As for fat burning, based on Inscyd test I did in Feb, at Fatmax (~200w), which is roughly my race power, I'm burning about 120 g/h of fat and 60 g/h carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Alan Couzens wrote:

Hi Doron,

Best,

Thanks Alan, this is great stuff.
Your article is very helpful. I read it a while ago, but stupidly didn't really treat my race-day nutrition scientifically and pragmatic enough. I only played with the carbs quantities and experimented with various products, but always got similar results.
I will definitely pay attention to osmolality and beef up sodium dramatically (I only took about 1,000mg through the whole race).

As for fat burning, based on Inscyd test I did in Feb, at Fatmax (~200w), which is roughly my race power, I'm burning about 120 g/h of fat and 60 g/h carbs.

No worries, Doron. Truly happy to help!

Unfortunately, many of the commercial products tend to skimp on maltodextrin because it is more expensive than dextrose. There are some exceptions (e.g. CarboPro exclusively uses glucose polymers, or using Infinit's custom sliders, you can max out the Maltodextrin content) but, being the stingy guy that I am :-), I ended up resorting to buying pure maltodextrin from brewing companies. Super cheap & you can then mess with the mix yourself, e.g. add a bit of sucrose if the maltodextrin leaves you a bit flat.

I wouldn't trust those Inscyd results (or any algorithm derived results FTM). 120g/hr is 18kcal/min. The highest I have ever tested is 14kcal/min for an EXTREME keto guy. Numbers above ~7kcal/min for non-keto are exceedingly rare. I'd get into the lab for a true metabolic test to determine your actual fat oxidation. Knowing this info will help you determine how aggressive you want to be with your exogenous CHO target.

Best,

Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Oct 20, 19 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alan, as always you rock - your questions are spot on and I think I know what went wrong.
The issue is not energy - I burn enough fat to do a sub 10 hot/humid IM while taking in ~1,600 cals. I suspect the issue is osmolality - half of these calories I took in the morning with ensure bottles, and if I was to keep proper osmolality I would have to drink ~3 bottles of water (which of course I didn't). So the ensure just set there like a sludgy time bomb blocking my stomach and as soon as I hit the run it was game over. It wasn't the run, I was screwed at 4am!

Some side notes:
- DYI 2:1 maltodextrin/fructose is at least 1/3 the cost (per calorie) of any sports drink I could find. And as you say, its hard to find a sports drink that uses maltodextrin (I could only find Hammer nutrition, but they don't mix it with other sugar source)
- I also doubt the validity of extrapolating your metabolic efficiency from a CP curve, but I am surprised how big a difference it is from what you saw with direct measurements. It could potentially lead people to very bad nutrition planning and bonking on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Alan, as always you rock - your questions are spot on and I think I know what went wrong.
The issue is not energy - I burn enough fat to do a sub 10 hot/humid IM while taking in ~1,600 cals. I suspect the issue is osmolality - half of these calories I took in the morning with ensure bottles, and if I was to keep proper osmolality I would have to drink ~3 bottles of water (which of course I didn't). So the ensure just set there like a sludgy time bomb blocking my stomach and as soon as I hit the run it was game over. It wasn't the run, I was screwed at 4am!

Some side notes:
- DYI 2:1 maltodextrin/fructose is at least 1/3 the cost (per calorie) of any sports drink I could find. And as you say, its hard to find a sports drink that uses maltodextrin (I could only find Hammer nutrition, but they don't mix it with other sugar source)
- I also doubt the validity of extrapolating your metabolic efficiency from a CP curve, but I am surprised how big a difference it is from what you saw with direct measurements. It could potentially lead people to very bad nutrition planning and bonking on race day.

Thanks Doron,

Agree 100%. Maintaining optimal osmolality takes a lot of stress off the body to pull from water reserves. May be tough to balance out all of the CHO in the morning but establishing a good base of water only on the bike before adding calories also seems to help.

Regarding the modeling of fat oxidation, I know a little bit about both topics :-) and I would highly doubt the validity of any model of fat oxidation that didn't also have nutritional factors as an input to the model. Nutrition is, without question, the factor responsible for the largest swings in fat oxidation in the athletes that I have tested.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey matt,

can you pass along that 50% code again. I would like to try it.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Here is the link to buy the UCAN Tri Starter Pack (at 50% off):

https://www.generationucan.com/...an-tri-starter-pack/

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are having our biggest sale of the year around Black Friday! 30% off and free shipping. For anyone looking to stock up or try something new, go to www.generationucan.com and use code STCYBER

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
3 Ensures (350cals each) at 4 am
Whoa.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition advice for sensitive stomach long distance racing [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:
3 Ensures (350cals each) at 4 am
Whoa.

Yes, I'm being that's what got me, not what I took on the course
Quote Reply

Prev Next