Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question regarding bike purchase
Quote | Reply
I have had an itch to get back onto a TT/Tri bike for sometime now, ever since I sold my '14 NP3 (51cm) to assist funding myself and my wife relocating to Germany from Australia.
Now that I have been here for over 1 1/2 years, I want to get back on it.

I mostly used my P3 for sprint tri's and the occasional TT, nothing too long distance and I mainly want to stick with using it as a TT bike, not so much interested in getting back into doing Tri's, but that may change, who knows.

Basically, I am torn between 2 bikes, a Canyon Speedmax CF (Not the SLX) and a Felt IA1. Both I have found second hand, the Canyon having mechanical Ultegra R8000 and the Felt having R9150 Di2. Both bikes are 2017 MYs and the Canyon comes with Cosmic CCs while the Felt comes with nothing (I have wheels for it so not fussed).

Now I realise that the Felt is strictly a UCI rejected bike, so I would not be able to attend any UCI events on it, but I am finding it hard to resist grabbing it anyway because,.
A. It seems like a good deal
B. I always thought this frame looks ridiculously cool, how could you find it ugly?
C. There are some smaller TT events held locally here and in Austria that do not follow UCI regs, so there would be nothing stopping me from using it there.

Are there any other people here riding around on UCI banned bikes just because you wanted a TT bike and do not race? Or am I just being a fool?

Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Question regarding bike purchase [Simmo_84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am strictly racing in triathlons, so UCI legality doesn't ever come into consideration for me looking at bikes (so this opinion might be a slightly biased)... but I feel the upgrade from mechanical to di2 on a TT/Tri bike makes the Canyon not even an option (if both are in your price range).

I have di2 on my road bike and TT bike and always tell people that its a fun/nice thing to have for a road bike, but basically an essential thing to have for a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a TT bike only for doing TT's, why buy a bike that's not allowed at many TT's? You mention that there are some smaller events that don't require UCI certification, but why restrict yourself to only those events? The Felt may be priced very attractively compared to other bikes of similar quality, but is it really a "good deal" for you?

You don't seem enamored with the Canyon, and the IA isn't the right bike for your intended purpose, so I suggest "Option C" which is to keep looking for something that's UCI legal like the Canyon and tickles your fancy like the Felt.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you have to ask yourself what is it that you really want to do with the bike in the future... Race TT's (that might include doing races where you do need a UCI legal bike), Race Tri's (where the Felt would be fine), or both??
I get buying something because you really like it! But don't just buy it based on emotion... where it might limit the way you could use it in the future, if you decide to continue with TT racing.
So the Canyon seems like the better all round choice... Or like the other poster mentioned maybe you keep looking.
Enjoy getting back into it!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply