Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: rowing times vs running times [garwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back when I rowed during crossfit "heavyweight) 6' tall, I did a 6:29 for a 2K on my concept2. That would translate to a 5:14/mi pace. Doubt I can run that quick anymore, but it's close.

Also did a 5K at 18:13 which was not at full race pace. Current 5K would be around 20min.

My guess is that the longer distances would put the rower ahead of the run in terms of comparative results.
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [gaute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone? Maybe in CrossFit.

Set it on drag factor, on a clean machine 1=DF 100 or so, 10=DF200 or so. The longest standing 2k WR was set at a 120DF. NT testing depending on your country is 110 to 145.
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I definitely don’t agree that rowing is any sort of bang bang bang...but I’m not not here to argue about proper rowing technique. This is a discussion about indoor rowing on the erg.

No, actually, back in the day national team testing was set at level 7 as
we did for our college team too. I’m fairly sure Crash Bs used the same setting. I don’t know if that has changed (to be clear we are taking about the setting on an erg)

We are swaying off topic, but that’s interesting..

Yes, talking about the setting on an erg..

Rowing has a way more focused power-phase and resting-phase than cycling (that’s what I meant with the three bangs ;-)...)

It has however been some years since I was on the national scene here so things might have changed, but I still stand by that we never used lower settings in competition here. National testing here (not us) might also have been done on a lower setting as a junior... (under 18) , but I don’t really remember as most testing was don in an actual boat. As a junior I would also use lower settings in training as it was more similar to the boat.. Never really trained *for* erg...

[lets get back on topic]
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rowed at a D3 college, so no records for me. I honestly don't remember my 5k or 6k times, but I did a 6:28 for 2k. I was a 'light' heavyweight at around 160-162 pounds at the time. I was considered to try to go lightweight, but that would have been pretty ugly for my body type. My personal best in the mile was a 5:09 two years ago (at age 38), but there are 20 years between those two efforts now! Don't think I could even pull a 7:00 now.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [gaute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gaute wrote:
It has however been some years since I was on the national scene here so things might have changed, but I still stand by that we never used lower settings in competition here.
Where is "here"?
At the US training centers, CRASH-B, etc., we were allowed to set the drag factor at whatever would allow the fastest times.

6000m has been the standard distance since '96(?)
I've not tested a 5km.
I'd go through 5000m in the 16:3x-mid range
I've never broken 19 for a 5km run.
I'm 73kg.
I don't think there is *any* correlation between running and erging (or sculling).

gonna leave this here: https://www.concept2.com/...tors/pace-calculator

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Sep 30, 19 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
gaute wrote:
It has however been some years since I was on the national scene here so things might have changed, but I still stand by that we never used lower settings in competition here.

Where is "here"?
At the US training centers, CRASH-B, etc., we were allowed to set the drag factor at whatever would allow the fastest times.

6000m has been the standard distance since '96(?)
I've not tested a 5km.
I'd go through 5000m in the 16:3x-mid range
I've never broken 19 for a 5km run.
I'm 73kg.
I don't think there is *any* correlation between running and erging (or sculling).

gonna leave this here: https://www.concept2.com/...tors/pace-calculator

I would say the correlation between running and erging is engine size and your weight. The correlation to running will be reasonable if you have good watts per kg. Sheer watts (or sheer pace) does not matter. Watts per kilo or pace per kilo will translate into some potential for running. Once you have good watts per kilo, then the question is whether you are built for the run. Just visually, I tend to look to see if someone is a long achilles short calf person (read rift valley style lower leg) or a short achilles long calf guy (this is my rough visual check on who passes me on the bike in a tri and if I have to worry about them on the run or not.....its generally not a bad spot check).
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short calves? I didn't know that was a thing... now I have something to amuse myself with as I'm being passed on the bike.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew someone would correct me!! In high school and frosh year of college we used Model B which was open or closed vents (although you could make them wide open for more drag or partially open for less). When we switched to Model C the next year, we generally standardized our setting at 7 for testing. But, as we spent more times on the machines, we tinkered more with the settings at least in training, especially since rowing in an 8 will feel much lighter than that setting. I thought Crash Bs and national team did the same (so many guys on our team were doing both anyways) but I’m probably recalling incorrectly!

I can date 6k testing back to 1994 (my frosh year) but not sure when it started.

Regardless, in response to Gaute, I think the biking analogy is apt. If you set the erg at 10, it is much heavier and if you row at, say 30 spm, your pace will be faster than a setting 4 at 30 spm. In biking, if you spin at 90 rpm in a 52/11, you will be faster than 90 rpm in a 36/28 gear.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 30, 19 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: rowing times vs running times [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Short calves? I didn't know that was a thing... now I have something to amuse myself with as I'm being passed on the bike.

Big long calves that come down to the ankle are a disaster for running biomechanics. It means a short achilles (less spring) and waaaay more rotating weight near the ankle (think about how much delta between a 5 ounce race flat and a 10 ounce traning shoe to understand the impact of big heavy calves on running).

Exhibit A from Berlin yesterday...probably executed the fastest ever closing 10,000m in the history of marathon running based on reports that he did the last 10km 1 minute faster than Kipchoge's record.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, don't tease us, what was his last 10K time???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about old kinda wrinkly calves that still do their job but afterwards twitch and quiver like some industrious little animal is living under my skin. Maybe my calves are dreaming of their former glory. Yeah, that's it...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Sep 30, 19 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pic example of long calves? I’m having a hard time visualizing the difference (perhaps I could sent you a selfie!! Lol)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is an example of a calf that goes right down to the ankle. Not sure this guy would run fast but I bet he ergs fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I see. Darn!! According to your theory, then, my calves aren’t causing my slow run times....what’s next on the potential excuse parade for me??!!!!!
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 30, 19 15:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Ok I see. Darn!! According to your theory, then, my calves aren’t causing my slow run times....what’s next on the potential excuse parade for me??!!!!!

My theory is more of a hypothesis that I feel I have observed to largely work out in the real world when observing who runs fast and who does not for a given size engine. Its hard to tell whose engine is bigger during a bike leg on the flats because of size and aerodynamics but once you get to a steep climb if two guys are climbing equally you can roughly guestimate who will run decently just looking at lower limb structure. Its an inexact hypothesis as there is no way to quantify this well in a study.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 30, 19 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Here" would be Norway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is interesting. I have a concept 2 model C. It sat around for a while and I've only started using it again periodically over the past year when I can squeeze in some cross training. If I'm just putzing around on it, I'm generally at 2:05 - 2:10 per/500 with the damper on 3. I'm pretty certain I could break 20 minutes for a 5k at that setting if I pushed it. I might start experimenting a bit more with the higher damper settings. I've always assumed a parallel with higher damper settings on the rower to higher gear on the bike (where I much prefer a high gear/lower cadence approach).

Oh, and for reference sake on the row v. run speed question, my best running 5k is 23:06. My FTP on the bike is about 240.
Quote Reply

Prev Next