Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman chatt [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
They have a responsibility to anticipate dangerous conditions and provide reasonable accommodations. I applaud them for doing this. This is not a softening of "Ironman". No one that gets on a cooling bus is going to be contesting for a podium and none of them are getting an advantage not enjoyed by someone else. Maybe someone won't die because they made this decision.

Waaaaaay back in the day in the early 90's I was running at Ironman Canada in Penticton and it was one of those crazy 100F type days and I was going neck and neck with this guy and we were running beside Skaha lake (the old course had 10km each ways beside the lake). We were suffering and chatting at the same time and this guy said, "I am going to do what I do in 100 mile ultra runs....if there is a lake and I am overheating I am jumping in for a minute and letting my core cool and then get back on the run course and then I will be flying. I figured I'd toast him by just keeping running. Around 2 miles later, he flew by me and I kept inching my way back towards him. On the "back part" he did this again and after he re passed me, I never saw him again. Keep in mind this was a ~70F lake on a 100F day, so he had major cooling and being completely soaked after he started running also helped his cooling.

Not sure a cooling bus would have anywhere near the same effect, but I have thought about the lake option at a few races and yet to use it. When I did Ironman France in Nice on one of those crazy hot days I really though it would be a good option but was scared of stepping off the course and someone DQing me and being too hot and dizzy to argue back in French that I am re entering the run course where I left.

I think for an Ironman the time lost jumping in a lake could easily be gained back. In a half IM, probably not. Sitting in a bus, no way that provides enough cooling effect to make back ANY reasonable time.

I'd think they would put it on the run course though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman chatt [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Not sure a cooling bus would have anywhere near the same effect, but I have thought about the lake option at a few races and yet to use it. When I did Ironman France in Nice on one of those crazy hot days I really though it would be a good option but was scared of stepping off the course and someone DQing me and being too hot and dizzy to argue back in French that I am re entering the run course where I left.

I think for an Ironman the time lost jumping in a lake could easily be gained back. In a half IM, probably not. Sitting in a bus, no way that provides enough cooling effect to make back ANY reasonable time.

The best info I can find is a triathlon article from a few years back Charlie Crawford (USA Tri offical) where he says you need to cover the course in it's entirety. It also says you can incur a time penalty and must report it to an official. This refers to biking, but I'm sure it applies to the run.

The only problem that I can see is that if you are running IMMT on a hot day and you are running right beside the lake and somebody sees you go in, waits to be sure you are okay, then you get out all refreshed then they think you have a great idea on your hands. Then one person in the water turns into 2, turns into 6, turns into 60. Then you have a real problem on your hands.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman chatt [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

The best info I can find is a triathlon article from a few years back Charlie Crawford (USA Tri offical) where he says you need to cover the course in it's entirety. It also says you can incur a time penalty and must report it to an official. This refers to biking, but I'm sure it applies to the run.

The only problem that I can see is that if you are running IMMT on a hot day and you are running right beside the lake and somebody sees you go in, waits to be sure you are okay, then you get out all refreshed then they think you have a great idea on your hands. Then one person in the water turns into 2, turns into 6, turns into 60. Then you have a real problem on your hands.

To my best knowledge you have to cover the bike and run course in its entirety and if you leave the course you have to re enter where you left. An example of this would be pulling off the course to fix a flat tire and then re entering the road where you left. I don't think there is any rule against leaving the course and going to McDonalds, going to your condo for a nap in air conditioning, stopping for some energizing sex with your spouse, or whatever you want to do....the clock keeps ticking and you just have to cover the course. Clearly the cooling buses are also "leaving the course" as they are no ON THE ROAD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problem that I can see is that if you are running IMMT on a hot day and you are ru, stopping for some energizing sex with your spouse, or whatever you want to do....the clock keeps ticking and you just have to cover the course. Clearly the cooling buses are also "leaving the course" as they are no ON THE ROAD.[/quote]
Unless your spouse offers it to everyone wouldn't that be considered outside assistance? đŸ˜‰
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman chatt [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly after watching stupid triathlons and associated training for something like 28 years, my spouse generally comes nowhere close to racing, and generally ignores any training. So this option is not even available to me. I was was mainly suggesting this to someone who may be in their 20's and their spouse is in need of attention during IM week. My only option is jumping in the lake or a salt+fat+caffeine stop at an air conditioned McDonalds or Burger King
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as the sex is with a spouse I am okay with that. My wife would tell me to take a shower.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Sep 30, 19 5:29
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman chatt [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have a kona slot allocation chart? sportstats?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if that is really the case, that you can literally leave the course for whatever you want, as long as you resume where you left off??
So running through the pedestrian village after my first lap at IMMT, I can duck into my hotel, take a cold shower, change, and head out for second lap? Seems hard to believe lol. And yes, I would totally feel like I was cheating by doing that!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman chatt [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if your hote access l is available to everyine and availability advertised in the racehandbook and prerace meeting
Quote Reply

Prev Next