Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero helmet ventilation
Quote | Reply
So I got a new helmet last November (Black Friday). It’s a Kask Mistral and I really like the comfort, fit, it has been rated highly in aerodynamics.

I’ve used it in a few early season (short) races and a couple summer training rides. The magnetic shield sits super close to your face, and it gets really hot under there. In summer or longer rides I end up flipping it up because it’s just too hot. (But when you flip it up, it blocks 4 air slits in the helmet).

Basically I can’t ride with the shield that way. As a last ditch effort, I drilled a bunch of holes in the shield to try and get some air flow. I haven’t ridden outside with it yet, I just did it. My only “testing” has been to sit in front of a fan. If I’m racing August Sunday and it’s going to be really hot, would you vote to leave the shield at home, or try the shield, and if it doesn’t work, just flip it up (and block the vents). It’s not like blocking the vents is the end of the world. My whole face is exposed so I’m still getting airflow. But they would help keep the top of my head cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet ventilation [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, just drilling several holes in the shield made a huge difference. Augusta was a really hot race but the airflow kept my head and face cool. I never once thought about taking the shield off.

So there you go. If you have a helmet and are worried about airflow or it gets hot under the shield...just go at it with a drill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
FWIW, just drilling several holes in the shield made a huge difference. Augusta was a really hot race but the airflow kept my head and face cool. I never once thought about taking the shield off.

So there you go. If you have a helmet and are worried about airflow or it gets hot under the shield...just go at it with a drill.
Which should also help with any potential fogging issues! At least based off that one scene from Rush where they drill out his visor in the pouring rain...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:

Good to hear that worked out. I have a lg-p09. I don’t like the shield as I get better airflow without it. The best thing on the helmet is the removable airflow vent just above the front. Perfect for every aid station grabbing cold water and squirting directly on the vent to get on my head and eyes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be careful with that. Technically, any modifications to helmets is illegal per USAT rules.
Not sure if that applies to visors, but an official doing a pre-race transition walkthrough may not be happy with this.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet ventilation [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

Which should also help with any potential fogging issues! At least based off that one scene from Rush where they drill out his visor in the pouring rain...

100%.

A couple short time trials I did this summer with it, the shield sits so close to your face and it would get so hot under there. It was like inside a greenhouse. There was moisture building up, and dripping down, etc. Not good!

Probably 30min into the race I was thinking to myself “holy shit it’s working!”
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet ventilation [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I would be careful with that. Technically, any modifications to helmets is illegal per USAT rules.
Not sure if that applies to visors, but an official doing a pre-race transition walkthrough may not be happy with this.

I would assume since it’s not compromising any of the safety or structural integrity of the helmet itself, it wouldn’t be an issue. I’ll take my chances. Worst case is the shield is removed. Honestly I’m not sure why the helmet wasn’t designed that way from the start. It’s a night and day difference.
Quote Reply