Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my fit
Quote | Reply
Trying high hands with reverse ski tips - because of the cables I only switched one but put hands at the same level. I've done a couple rides in this position on the trainer - feels pretty good but wondering what ST will have for this one! Thanks in advance!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl8Ma6NM6oU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imo That's solid!
I would like to see another video of you peddling a little faster the seat might be just a tit too high but that's really splitting hairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing about high hands is that it isn't always better. I did a session at the A2 tunnel earlier this year and testing with a set of Zipp Evo 110 extensions and it was measurably slower than my lower hand position with Vuka s-bends that I've been running for years. It was surprising but I trust the data. So, your position looks good but it isn't necessarily an improvement and could actually be worse. At the least you should do some Chunging and get some data.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally get that. I might swing the extensions around and try it - the hands up is much better from a comfort position - and so that's why I am trying it here.

The cables on my (gasp) mechanical shifting make it hard to test out different setups on the road...might have to just get out there and do it

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
- the hands up is much better from a comfort position - and so that's why I am trying it here.

This is why I almost always prescribe this as a fitter for long course people. There are second and third order effects this position that IMO equal any loss of watts.

Fortunately for me, it's both more comfortable *and* faster in the tunnel :)

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
dfru wrote:
- the hands up is much better from a comfort position - and so that's why I am trying it here.

This is why I almost always prescribe this as a fitter for long course people. There are second and third order effects this position that IMO equal any loss of watts.

E

Thanks - yeah, that's my thinking too. I've never felt great with hands lower - I don't want to go full mantis but I feel like I'm going in the right direction with this at least!!

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
dfru wrote:

E
It would be interesting to know if it's possible to determine the watts expended (i.e. metabolic effort in your arm muscles) from gripping on to bars in a too low or too high position. Because that may cancel out the aero watts saved by an uncomfortable position vs. a relaxed but slightly les aero one. (The idea being that a more relaxed position allows you to put more power through the pedals for the same metabolic cost)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha! I have the exact same helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a great helmet - can't wait to wear it in some races next year ;)

Quote Reply