Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More inner tube rolling resistance data
Quote | Reply
Dan asked me to post this data once we'd got it, this is updated with a load more butyl inner tubes as well as a few different latex ones. I know everyone will give me grief as the Silca latex tube isn't there but we couldn't get one in time, we do plan to test it! As well as Vredestein.

INNER TUBE DATA

What I found interesting was the Conti Supersonic (my word it's thin!) beating out the Tubolito. Personally I think the Tubolito would be a better choice out of the two as it feels more substantial. As the Conti range got lighter/thinner they got faster, no real surprises there but latex is much better overall. The Michelin latex tube does feel thicker than the other latex tubes, and so that may be why it tested slower - interestingly the Challenge tube was a little undersized diameter wise when inflated (unlike most other tubes), perhaps something to do with losing the seam as it's seamless (unlike the Michelin/Vittoria).

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren’t the Silca tubes just rebranded Vittoria tubes? Or are they just produced by Vittoria but spec’d differently?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Aren’t the Silca tubes just rebranded Vittoria tubes? Or are they just produced by Vittoria but spec’d differently?

Looks like you might be right actually - they do look the same having just Googled it although I thought there was a different version out there for some reason. The Bontrager tube seems to be rebranded Michelin so we didn't bother getting one of them.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Looks like you might be right actually - they do look the same having just Googled it although I thought there was a different version out there for some reason. The Bontrager tube seems to be rebranded Michelin so we didn't bother getting one of them.

Josh talks about the Silca partnership with Vittoria. What is interesting is that Vittoria appears to have started adding Graphine to their latex tubes, so this year's model has a slower leak-down rate. Not that I want to suggest more work for you, but the interesting comparison would be the Crr of the graphene/nongraphine tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info

I’m happy 😃

For once I actually have the fastest item and don’t have to buy something different lol
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Xavier wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Josh talks about the Silca partnership with Vittoria. What is interesting is that Vittoria appears to have started adding Graphine to their latex tubes, so this year's model has a slower leak-down rate. Not that I want to suggest more work for you, but the interesting comparison would be the Crr of the graphene/nongraphine tubes.

This year as in 2019? We get all our Vittoria tubes straight from the distributor (as we recommend/spec them on our wheels) so they are the most up to date ones we can get hold of, and consistently buy a lot of them too. I’ll ask though!

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Dan asked me to post this data once we'd got it, this is updated with a load more butyl inner tubes as well as a few different latex ones. I know everyone will give me grief as the Silca latex tube isn't there but we couldn't get one in time, we do plan to test it! As well as Vredestein.

INNER TUBE DATA

What I found interesting was the Conti Supersonic (my word it's thin!) beating out the Tubolito. Personally I think the Tubolito would be a better choice out of the two as it feels more substantial. As the Conti range got lighter/thinner they got faster, no real surprises there but latex is much better overall. The Michelin latex tube does feel thicker than the other latex tubes, and so that may be why it tested slower - interestingly the Challenge tube was a little undersized diameter wise when inflated (unlike most other tubes), perhaps something to do with losing the seam as it's seamless (unlike the Michelin/Vittoria).

Great data! Thanks for providing.

I’ve been using the Conti Supersonic tubes as race backups. They are so thin they pack down really small so you can pack 2 easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info!
Not terribly surprising overall, but good verification!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting info.

About the Challenge Tube. I had a flat a few weeks ago with a Vittoria tube that has been in use for 3 years. My spare happened to be a Challenge. My issue was with the circumference, it was small. It was like stretching a rubber band around the rim. I absolutely could not install the tire without pinching the tube until I stretched it overnight so it would fit up into the case of the tire better.

My next order will be for the Silca tube.
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Interesting info.

About the Challenge Tube. I had a flat a few weeks ago with a Vittoria tube that has been in use for 3 years. My spare happened to be a Challenge. My issue was with the circumference, it was small. It was like stretching a rubber band around the rim. I absolutely could not install the tire without pinching the tube until I stretched it overnight so it would fit up into the case of the tire better.

I bought a pair of Challenge latex yesterday and searched a bit in the internet when I came home and read some reviews of poor quality of them. I went back to the bike shop and was happy they took them back.
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Interesting info.

It’s odd isn’t it - not usually what happens when you pump up a tube, luckily it didn’t pinch for this test! We’ve been getting a bit of feedback elsewhere that people don’t like the current Challenge latex tubes, personally I’ve used them briefly years ago but not recently.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:

INNER TUBE DATA

Yeah...super-lightweight butyl tubes are basically a "worst of both worlds" type of situation. They're still slower than latex, AND they snake-bite flat even easier than regular butyl :-/

As was pointed out though, they DO pack down quite small...so, like the Tubolito, their best use case is really for a lightweight flat kit.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Xavier wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

This year as in 2019? We get all our Vittoria tubes straight from the distributor (as we recommend/spec them on our wheels) so they are the most up to date ones we can get hold of, and consistently buy a lot of them too. I’ll ask though!

Honestly I don't really want to know. It is always bad to find out that the old stock is faster. Then you end up spending tons of time trying to locate old product. Sort of like the 2nd generation Conti SS 700x20 tire for the H3. You can find the high Crr Gen 1 and the fatter Gen 3, but the Goldilocks Gen 2 is getting really rare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Xavier and All,

Thanks for posting.

Now I do not have to buy new inner tubes.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you, it's always good to have data..
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have always wondered for full distance ironman, since the bike leg take quite some hours to complete. does latex tube need topping up..... or latex almost guarantee puncture over that distance i.e. need pumping up anyway lol.
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [XE11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XE11 wrote:
or latex almost guarantee puncture over that distance i.e. need pumping up anyway lol.
If anything, latex seems more resistant to punctures than butyl. I've only ever had to stop once to fix a latex puncture, and it was when a stabby thing punched a half-inch gash through my tire; butyl or tubeless also would have been toast.
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [XE11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XE11 wrote:
i have always wondered for full distance ironman, since the bike leg take quite some hours to complete. does latex tube need topping up..... or latex almost guarantee puncture over that distance i.e. need pumping up anyway lol.

It's a good question, something we get asked quite a lot by IM triathletes. You've got three options really:

1. Actually measure the real pressure difference over 3,6,9,12hrs by pumping up your tyres at home and seeing how much they go down (won't be universal as it depends a bit on your starting pressure), then overpump when racking your bike to compensate
2. Add 5psi and hope for the best
3. Don't worry about it

Most people go for option 3 :D

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Are anyone, Michelin, Vittoria, Silca etc. making longer lenght valves latex inner tubes? One of the hassles with latex tubes is the need to use extender etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:

Xavier,

Since I have plenty of the new ones at home in both sizes (19-23 and 25-28) I can confirm the pictures in your article do not show the new Vittoria.

The new ones are called COMPETITION LATEX and have an alloy valve core, making the 19-23 version pretty light at 62 grams. The one Latex tube I have that is lighter is the Vredestein at 52 grams with a brass valve core... so super thin ! I tend to like the Vittoria with alloy valve core and the Silca more than all the others...

Links to the new ones :
https://www.probikeshop.com/...mm-valve/158827.html
https://www.probikeshop.com/...mm-valve/157443.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks again for a great article (and answering my CRR question on Facebook ;-) ).
Quote Reply
Re: More inner tube rolling resistance data [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Xavier wrote:

Xavier,

Since I have plenty of the new ones at home in both sizes (19-23 and 25-28) I can confirm the pictures in your article do not show the new Vittoria.

The new ones are called COMPETITION LATEX and have an alloy valve core, making the 19-23 version pretty light at 62 grams. The one Latex tube I have that is lighter is the Vredestein at 52 grams with a brass valve core... so super thin ! I tend to like the Vittoria with alloy valve core and the Silca more than all the others...

Links to the new ones :
https://www.probikeshop.com/...mm-valve/158827.html
https://www.probikeshop.com/...mm-valve/157443.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks again for a great article (and answering my CRR question on Facebook ;-) ).

Ah thanks very much! Those do look different from our current ones so I'll try and get hold of some

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the data.

One other thing that could be interesting is whether there's a difference between sizes, i.e. the smaller/narrower is less material, but more stretched than a bigger/wider one. E.g. difference between 19/23mm vs. 25/28mm Vittoria latex.
Quote Reply