Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Hydration Drink
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

https://www.cnn.com/...-hydration-wellness/

Excerpts:

Sure, you can always reach for a glass of water -- but plain H20 isn't the most hydrating beverage around, according to a study from Scotland's St. Andrews University that compared the hydration responses of several different drinks.

https://academic.oup.com/...le/103/3/717/4564598

The researchers found that while water -- both still and sparkling --does a pretty good job of quickly hydrating the body, beverages with a little bit of sugar, fat or protein do an even better job of keeping us hydrated for longer.

The most hydrating beverages, ranked

The research team at St. Andrews University tested 13 common beverages to see how they impact hydration. Here's what they found, ranked from most hydrating over a four-hour period to least.

Skim milk
Oral rehydration solutions (like Pedialyte or Liquid I.V.)
Full fat milk
Orange juice
Cola
Diet Cola
Cold tea
Tea
Sports drink
Still water
Sparkling water
Lager
Coffee
Source: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 103, Issue 3, March 2016, Pages 717--723

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Best Hydration Drink [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much for the "soda dehydrates you" line. Obviously its still not going to be healthy to drink it but interesting to see that it is actually more hydrating than water. This also definitely confirms my wife and my practice of drinking a bottle of Pedialyte over the course of a day for 5 or so days leading up to a big race. Not that anyone doubted Pedialyte was hydrating but still...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did this study in Scotland, and Whiskey was not on the list? Besides, it's never hot in Scotland...

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a drink but my favorite thing for hydration is a honeydew melon.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Hydration Drink [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pickle juice shot always helps me... nearly instantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You also have to factor for how much of each beverage you can realistically consume. Drinking a gallon of whole milk or coffee is going to be much harder than pure water or diet coke. A gallon of whole milk also has 2400kcal.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer a good New England Pale Ale.
Quote Reply