Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Distal femoral osteotomy recovery
Quote | Reply
I noticed some old post from people that had osteotomies and I am curious how they are holding up. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago now. Recovery is rough, my knee is still swollen and so tight I can’t get it to bend to 90 degrees. I can get it to mostly straight though. I am 36 so I am way to young for a total knee; my damage came from the military.

I am curious how your osteotomy is holding up, if your hardware had to be removed, and how hard was it for you to not push yourself more than you should?

I am still in the non-weight bearing period and I am not tempted to challenge that, but it is hard to not really stretch, pull and roll my quad and hamstring. I really want to start manipulating the muscle but I don’t see the doctor for another week and don’t want a setback.
Quote Reply
Re: Distal femoral osteotomy recovery [Drfins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drfins....I had a closed wedge DFO, at end of August, so just over 8 weeks now. Like you I was doing triathlons up until this operation. Just started weight bearing and swimming front crawl (leg float used). Where the plate is it gets somewhat painful when I weight bear, but hopefully pain will reduce in the coming days.

If you search on Google "orthoindy distal femoral osteotomy". There is a really useful pdf of recovery plan from week 1 to 12 months

Will be good to know how you go on, but next season looks like cycling events at most for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Distal femoral osteotomy recovery [Livs2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had mine, open wedge, the first week of September. I haven’t had too much pain. I’m back on the trainer but my power is down from 300-320 watts for a 1.5 hour ride to 110 watts for a 25 minute ride.

I am walking without crutches finally and starting to feel a little more stable. My legs do not match at all. The surgical leg looks like it belongs to someone else because of the muscle loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
L knee Fulkerson osteotomy Dec 2013. 1st 6 wks was tough. Able to cycle outdoors by April. 3 70.3 since, PR’d my last one. Best of luck with your recovery. I don’t plan on removing hardware.
Last edited by: Wetfeet: Nov 17, 19 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a high tibial osteotomy and donor cartilage plug in my femur back in May of 2014. It was almost exactly a year later that I was able to run without pain but I can run just as well as I did before the need for surgery so I’m sure glad I had it done. I’m 48 as of tomorrow, for reference.

I wrote a series of blog posts about my recovery in case I came across anyone that was faced with the same process. And it is a process, but there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel. It’s just a loooong tunnel!

Link to my blog where I started writing about surgery recovery: http://favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com/...build-himpart-2.html

Cheers, and I hope your recovery goes well!

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply