Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to really test my IM and fitness potential at IM LP in 2020. The only way I can stay very motivated during training and the race is to have a significant goal of finishing at or near the top 10 for my AG. I did LP a couple of years but training peaked at 70 mile bike ride, 3K in pool, and 14 mile run, with much lower weekly avg. Result was what I expected with 14:03. I consider current fitness level fairly high for my AG. I've only raced sprints the past two years but only missed the podium a couple of times. I just started my off-season base building program that my former coach Andrew Yoder had me doing last fall and winter. Basically, his strategy is build a huge base in the off-season by focusing more on swim and bike, which will set up a faster run.

I'm interested in advice or feedback on training and race strategy from other athletes who've completed LP in 12 hour range, preferably in my AG of 55-60, but any advice is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: 12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG [shaidar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaidar wrote:
I'm interested in advice or feedback on training and race strategy from other athletes who've completed LP in 12 hour range, preferably in my AG of 55-60, but any advice is appreciated.

Get a coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to adjust you goal setting. Get a coach, set a time goal and have a plan for achieving that goal. Those are things within your control. Setting a goal for a top ten finish is nice. It's great when it happens. But, it's not within your control because you can't control who shows up.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run...and run some more...
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:

Preferably in mild humidity with a bunch up rollers

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:

This.

Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely focusing on the bike in offseason. My previous swim time was 1:20, even while averaging only around 3K a week in the pool but felt tired after the IM swim, which did not set up a good bike start. I plan on swimming around 10K a week for the next few months.

Top 10 finish would be great but goal is really the 12 hours since ranking is going to be based mostly on who shows up for the race. My 10 ten estimate was based on last year's results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm M30-34, but I went 10:13 this year in what was apparently a slow year for most on the course. 1:05/5:29/3:32. I ran more miles per week than I ever had for IM training (35-42) for a couple months leading up, and even though the run was tough, my legs just kept going and really didn't fade too much. This was on an avg of about 11 hours/week for the year, but 14-16 during peak build. Not sure if this is of any help, but both the bike and run courses are challenging, so I don't know that you should favor training for one over the other, unless you're injury prone from running big miles.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done the course a couple of times as a 55-60 and finished top ten in AG. It’s pretty easy to want to be in the top ten but nothing can be achieved without work. To be successful I think you need to get out of the water not exhausted. You need to put the time in and I would think 9-12 km of swim per week which is only 3 swim workouts. LP is always hot and humid. Ride your bike a lot in those conditions and do hills. Run is always hot and humid. Train with appropriate distance in mind. Get a plan or get a coach, I think you’ll go sub 12 no problem. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour IM LP finish time for 55-60AG [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you...I guess my point is to increase running by 15-20% of previous load if the body holds up. But, you can't race well injured, so whatever gets him to the line healthy and fit.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply