Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me your cold cures..
Quote | Reply
Typical.. just started my two week taper into first ironman, and came down with a chest cold. Its not too severe but obviously I want it gone yesterday.

I have been completing my taper workouts as prescribed, but would I be better off stopping training completely? Also what the accelerates getting rid of a chesty cold.. Steam rooms, spicy food.. Google is giving me all sorts of conflicting advise so.

Tell me whats worked for you..
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [Poldarn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my mom’s great uncles had this cute:

Light a candle at your bedside table. Bring a bottle of bourbon to bed. When you see three candles, blow those out and go to sleep.

You’re welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pint glass
1/3 brown rum
1/3 hot water
1/3 sugar water

In bed 10 minutes after you finish your drink.

Your body needs to recover from training and from illness.
just sleep more, consider that extra sleep a taper session.
Goal stays the same: recover.
Last edited by: stevededoncker: Sep 25, 19 4:22
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [stevededoncker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
One of my mom’s great uncles had this cute:

Light a candle at your bedside table. Bring a bottle of bourbon to bed. When you see three candles, blow those out and go to sleep.

You’re welcome.

stevededoncker wrote:
Pint glass
1/3 brown rum
1/3 hot water
1/3 sugar water

In bed 10 minutes after you finish your drink.

Your body needs to recover from training and from illness.
just sleep more, consider that extra sleep a taper session.
Goal stays the same: recover.

Oh my.. I am liking the sound of this, I was terrified someone was going to tell me to lay off the booze :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This works 100%: time
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
This works 100%: time

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will exchange tonights planned bike with some time in the steam room followed by a large whisky and bed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually this is not bad timing.

I raced my first IM and a few other bigger more important races in my life, with not bad results off off the Head-Cold Taper.

The first thing to understand is that there really is no "cure" for the common cold. It's a viral infection that needs to run it's course in your body. Best thing to do is shut down all training, rest as much as you can, and try and get full and good nights sleep.

If you do this, the garden variety Head Cold infection tends to run it's course in 5 - 10 days*.

Over the course of time I have noticed a pattern with these. Mine start with a touch of a sore throat and full on body fatigue for 1 - 2 days. This is actually the critical time, because it's when your body is REALLY battling with the infection full-on. But it's where most people just plunder and push on and really run themselves down. So what I do now is a complete and total shut down, even with these minor symptoms, and see what happens.

From here it either goes two ways - goes into full blown head-cold or fades away to nothing, and I know I have dodged a bullet. But the trick is that full-on shut down, of EVERYTHING, and literally spending a full day in bed, with only the minor symptoms of a touch of a sore throat and a feeling of weakness!

* So rest up. Do nothing until you feel better. If you have trained well and properly, there is really no training you need to do in the last 10-days to 2-weeks anyway!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Fleck..

This race is a big deal to me, I have spent a couple of years getting to the point where I felt I was fit enough to start IM level training (built up from not being able to run 5k through to this years weekly aves of 200 miles bike, 30 miles run and around 9k yards in the pool) so I am really happy with my training. Still not got near my race weight (hungry all the time) - that will be my next project so while I am being glib in the post I am really worried about getting this right now.

Good to hear from you guys that resting up should see me right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old saying:

Treat it and the cold will clear up in 7 days; untreated, it'll last a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bottle of whisky that I picked up in Iceland that is nasty, nothing that I could ever offer to a guest in my home. However, it is great for colds; I'll do a two-finger pour and then down it. It is awful but I sleep like a baby and it's cleared anything in my head/chest.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I have a bottle of whisky that I picked up in Iceland that is nasty, nothing that I could ever offer to a guest in my home. However, it is great for colds; I'll do a two-finger pour and then down it. It is awful but I sleep like a baby and it's cleared anything in my head/chest.

On my way home tonight I will be stopping at the cheapest store I can find to pick up the roughest blend I can find!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 hour naps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to try to drink the cold away, might as well go strong and do some blow to clear the nasal passages and a few hookers to keep the cardio from failing. In all seriousness, rest and hydrate. If the cold has already migrated to your chest, you might want to see a doctor.
Last edited by: Nerd: Sep 25, 19 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your cold cures.. [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you're talking!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tincture of time.....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply