Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing for Kona
Quote | Reply
What's thoughts on optimal gearing for Kona? Running AXS 12-spd, currently running 50/37 and 10-28 as default.

How feasible is a x1 set-up and how small a gear do you really need for the climbs?

I'm decent cyclist, probably aiming for a low 5hr bike (conditions dependent).
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Kona [tonto1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hills before you get too and Pilani before you get to the Queen K are quite punchy. I have ridden 41x26 as my smallest gear and each time I have definitely wanted that gear and even used it up Hawi at some stages depending on the headwind. I'm strong on the more heavy side and have gone exactly 5hrs before. Hopefully quicker this year :)
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Kona [tonto1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a 39/54 up front and a 11-28 at the back. You need the range, the climb up palini is where you want a granny gear then coming down from Hawi you can spin out pretty easy so the 54/11 was nice to have. Im sure you could run 1x but thee would be a lot of gaps in shifting, I think stick 2x for Kona.

In 2016 I went 5:10 on the bike it what i would call a "normal" wind and heat day not extreme other way..its a hard course, the best bike guys went 4:52 that day in my division (30-34 in 2016).
Quote Reply