Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone?
Quote | Reply
I'm a cyclist and I have all the cycling gear - wahoo bolt, power meters, etc.. I've been joining my work run club to schmooze with some executives at lunch, and find myself liking running so far. I carry my big iphone in my hand while running which is annoying.

What's a "cheap" alternative? I'd prefer not to spend $500 on a garmin triathlon watch, or buy an apple watch just for this purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second hand nike sport watch... Great functionality, waterproof for swimming, easy to read, easy buttons, not too big, not heavy, gives encouragement after the workout, built in usb in the strap for charging, good battery life..... 20-30bucks second hand. Little more for heart rate option
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Second hand nike sport watch... Great functionality, waterproof for swimming, easy to read, easy buttons, not too big, not heavy, gives encouragement after the workout, built in usb in the strap for charging, good battery life..... 20-30bucks second hand. Little more for heart rate option

Wow $20-30 is far less than I was expecting.
Unfortunately I don't see even (1) available in my area on craigslist (San Francisco Bay Area).
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've probably already considered and rejected this option, but you could get a running armband that holds your phone in it. Less than $10, perhaps more comfortable than holding the phone in your hand, perhaps not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just buy a dirt cheap gps watch. It doesn't need anything special on it if youre more of a cyclist.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put your wahoo bike computer in your pocket. When it auto uploads, just switch the activity type to "run"
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
just buy a dirt cheap gps watch. It doesn't need anything special on it if youre more of a cyclist.

I agree with your thoughts here (basically states this in OP 😃) but which model should I look at? I guess “dirt cheap” is subjective especially on a triathlon forum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have all the cycling gear but not willing to spend buy a good GPS watch? Huh?

1) use your Wahoo bolt to GPS your runs. I did this years ago with a cycling computer. It kinda sucks but it works.
2) Garmin Forerunner can be had cheap.
3) Buy a Coros Apex for $300. Works great as a backup cycling computer too as well as run, SBR, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Refurbished garmin forerunners can be found for $65
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll sell you a new in box garmin forerunner 35 for cheap. got a broken one replaced and have stolen my wife's 920 so haven't opened it or used it.

the fr 35 is the cheapest "do it all" running watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify earlier response you aren't limited to Nike although that may be a great budget option. Most brands will link to their own online service, which can then link to Strava. So for example, any basic/used Garmin running watch can work too. It is pretty easy to make Garmin Connect (garmins "strava" as it were) push the run data to the Strava service automatically. Other services/brands will likely work in a similar way. The cheapest new Garmin watches are around 160$, but you could go used - so you don't have to be limited to Nike, Should be able to find a used forerunner watch on the cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
You have all the cycling gear but not willing to spend buy a good GPS watch? Huh?

Correct. I biked over 10,000 miles last year and am on track to do 11,000 this year, including 20+ races with my team.
I ran 6 miles last year and have done 34 miles so far this year. A new bike would be easier to justify than a good GPS watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here you go:

https://www.boryshop.com/...in-watch--forerunner

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy a pair of running shorts with a phone pocket, so you don't have to "hold" your phone. I love the Lululemon's since the phone fits tightly in the small of your back. but assume Nike or others have similar.

https://shop.lululemon.com/...d9310050?color=40480
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
AlyraD wrote:

I agree with your thoughts here (basically states this in OP 😃) but which model should I look at? I guess “dirt cheap” is subjective especially on a triathlon forum

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...at_-_%2480_P7023256/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Tom Tom spark with optical hr and music, picked up used off eBay for $75. Basically the new Nike gps watch (the original ones were made by, or in partnership with, Tom Tom).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get cheap used Garmin; just make sure it syncs with your phone (you don't want the really old ones where you have to connect it to your PC with a cable to download a run). I was looking on FB Marketplace and eBay, and you can easily get something good for <$50 (for reference I just sold a Garmin Vivoactive for $60, and it's more watch than you need for this).

I run with my Garmin, and as soon as I get home and within range of my phone my workout is up on Strava.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i'll sell you a new in box garmin forerunner 35 for cheap. got a broken one replaced and have stolen my wife's 920 so haven't opened it or used it.

the fr 35 is the cheapest "do it all" running watch.

Sending you a PM!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to "Strava" my runs without holding phone? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yikes, reviews for this website say it's a scam. Lots of "too good to be true" deals on there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really?? Well just google that watch. They are literally like 50-60 bucks in places. I just grabbed the lowest one

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really wanna go cheap, just get one of these belts or something similar. I don't normally run with a phone for shorter runs but when travelling I'll bring it along just to be extra safe.

SPIbelt Running Belt: adult original pocket - no-bounce running belt for runners, athletes and adventurers (black with black zipper, 24" through 47") https://www.amazon.com/..._apa_i_3cvIDb73MMW83

It also blends into your shorts pretty easily so you won't look like you're wearing a fanny pack
Quote Reply