Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you race on a patched tube? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
lightheir wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I could understand this question if you're on a borrowed bike to attempt a local $35 tri, bike race, du or whatever. Because that's all you can afford.

Otherwise......NO. Seriously. Butyl tubes are what? $3? Latex is like $12?

I've had people try to give me a fiver for me giving them a butyl tube on the side of the road. No dude/dudette. It's yours, enjoy. It's a tube.

5 tubes @ $10 each, patched in 20 minutes = $150/hr. And that's POST tax money. I'll take that any day!

Lol........You need to figure out why you're ruining so many tubes! More pressure, same pressure and more tire, or lose weight. Or stop riding in the gutter where all the trash is.

As said, these flats tend to happen in short periods where I get a lot of them. And then virtually none for the rest of the year. Not sure why, but that's how it works.

In the times where I don't get flats for nearly a year, I obviously don't bother to batch patch - just get a new one!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on a patched tube? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I would rather race on a patched tube and new tire, than new tube, and a tire with puncture holes. The tire is often overlooked, and more important than the tube. A puncture hole can let grit in, or even split and blow out. I would also trust a patched tube that's been running awhile, more than a new tube out of the box. As someone who's been riding a half century, and worked a number of years at two bike shops, I've patched hundreds maybe thousands of tubes. I can't recall ever having a patch fail. However, I've had plenty of defective tubes out of the box.

Agree that a properly patched tube is just as good as new. I’d never race on a tube I haven’t ridden for awhile because I’ve also had defective tubes out of the box. I’ve raced on tubes with multiple patches (I think my record was 5) and never had the patch fail.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on a patched tube? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not do either. I always start full distance races with new tires and tubes. I put them on about a week before the race to be sure there are no leaks. No way I will waste 6 months training to only have to deal with tire issues. And I realize that there are no guarantees when it comes to flat etc. I just feel better knowing I have new tires and tubes under me.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on a patched tube? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, in fact I've never patched a butyl tube, they are cheap enough

But I did try out latex , put hole sin 3 tubes trying to install. Debating whether to patch those or not. Is the watt savings worth increased risk of a flat out on the road.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply

Prev Next