Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips?
Quote | Reply
So Ironman Gurye (Korea) is tomorrow, and...fortunately a typhoon has just come upon the peninsula and it's pissing rain outside right now. It's coming down so hard it sounds like hail. That's supposed to continue through race day tomorrow night, so it's gonna be wet and wild. 30-38mph crosswinds on the menu.

Does anyone (maybe people from Ironman Ireland earlier this year?) have any survival tips for this?

Obviously there are certain logical things like 1) not going to be anywhere near as fast as normal, and 2) don't be an idiot on turns on the bike, but anything else to think about?

Appreciate any advice (and sympathy)... ha
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [icecubes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If the weather really is that bad then I guess the swim will be cancelled, perhaps the whole event.

Suggestion: do the best you can with what you have.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [icecubes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
icecubes wrote:
So Ironman Gurye (Korea) is tomorrow, and...fortunately a typhoon has just come upon the peninsula and it's pissing rain outside right now. It's coming down so hard it sounds like hail. That's supposed to continue through race day tomorrow night, so it's gonna be wet and wild. 30-38mph crosswinds on the menu.

Does anyone (maybe people from Ironman Ireland earlier this year?) have any survival tips for this?

Obviously there are certain logical things like 1) not going to be anywhere near as fast as normal, and 2) don't be an idiot on turns on the bike, but anything else to think about?

wind jacket
or vest and arm warmers/coolers
Be careful!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had similar conditions in New Orleans in 2018, and the race was cancelled. They can't put all those people at risk on course. No way to pull the whole field out of danger if things get out of hand..
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
We had similar conditions in New Orleans in 2018, and the race was cancelled. They can't put all those people at risk on course. No way to pull the whole field out of danger if things get out of hand..

They shortened the swim in the 2018 New Orleans 70.3, but it wasn’t cancelled. The bike was pretty crazy.

Maybe 2017 was cancelled.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be canceled if conditions are that bad. Sorry that sucks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eagleman was like that this year.
Cancelled swim.
Watch your wheel choice with those winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staying warm and safe is more important than aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Female winner at Ireland wore rubber kitchen gloves to keep her hands dry and warm in the conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train and race for fun. Yeah yeah, also self-transcendance and all that stuff too...
I wouldn't race in an environment where my training didn't prepare me to succeed in reaching my goals.
Sucks to have spent hundreds of $$ on an event and feel obliged to enter only because of that.
I would decide on race day morning if it's worth it, or not.

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging by this announcement I'd go to the pub tonight and get drunk...
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Ironman Gurye, Korea·Saturday, 21 September 2019·2 minutes
Updated as of 3:50PM, Saturday, 21 September 2019.
Dear athletes, please read this advisory carefully. Due to inclement weather, the following changes have been made to the IRONMAN Gurye course for Sunday, 22 September.
All participants will now:
  • Swim 1.5KM (cut off: 1H 10MIN)
  • Bike 58.8KM (cut off: 3H 58MIN)
  • Run 29.6KM (cut off: 8H 36MIN)

*The above cut-off times will be calculated from each athletes' individual race start times.
Please note the following details carefully:
  • Bike check-in has been suspended with immediate effect due to deteriorating weather conditions and expected high winds. Athletes who have racked their bikes are requested to collect it from the transition area before 8:30PM today (Saturday, 21 September) to prevent any damage to equipment from inclement weather. Timing chips will also need to be returned at the entry to Transition at Jirisan Lake.
  • Transition will now open tomorrow, Sunday, 22 September at 4:30AM instead for athletes to rack their bicycles. All athletes will be able to collect their timing chips at Transition from 4:30AM tomorrow (Sunday, 22 September) as well.
  • Transition will close at 7:20AM on Sunday, 22 September
  • Race will start from 7:40AM on Sunday, 22 September
  • Bike Check-Out will take place on Sunday 22 September* from 12:15PM - 6:00PM

*There will be no bike check-out on Monday, 23 September. All bikes must be collected on Sunday, 22 September
There will also be no more special needs on the bike or run course. Athletes are only required to bring their Street Gear Bag on race morning.
We will be sharing further details on the updated course map and shuttle bus times in the coming hours.
This joint decision was made by the IRONMAN Gurye and IRONMAN Asia team after monitoring weather conditions and consultation with local Government authorities in the past 24 hours. Your safety is our priority and our team will continue monitoring the conditions closely.
Please check our Facebook page regularly for updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
icecubes wrote:

Take a coat !

(Actually not pink....take a waterproof / something..how warm/cold is it there ? 2 buddies were at Ireland, and I've also done an event or two where it's chucked it down in England and been a bit chilly despite mid summer).
Folks who suffered at Ireland when they got cold - esp on the run once they were not goung hard enough to generate sufficient heat. One freind awoke in an ambulance en route to hospital, with what tuened out to be collapsing about 15-20miles into tue run from hypothermia at Cork).
I've used a waterproof gilet to keep both the wind and worst of the rain off (still get wet but not as much 'exchange' of water all the time so don't lose as much heat).

Other things... drop tue tyre pressure a few psi to improve grip, ad no heroics in corners... no prizes for hitting the asphalt
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Judging by this announcement I'd go to the pub tonight and get drunk...
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Ironman Gurye, Korea·Saturday, 21 September 2019·2 minutes
Updated as of 3:50PM, Saturday, 21 September 2019.
Dear athletes, please read this advisory carefully. Due to inclement weather, the following changes have been made to the IRONMAN Gurye course for Sunday, 22 September.
All participants will now:
  • Swim 1.5KM (cut off: 1H 10MIN)
  • Bike 58.8KM (cut off: 3H 58MIN)
  • Run 29.6KM (cut off: 8H 36MIN)

*The above cut-off times will be calculated from each athletes' individual race start times.
Please note the following details carefully:
  • Bike check-in has been suspended with immediate effect due to deteriorating weather conditions and expected high winds. Athletes who have racked their bikes are requested to collect it from the transition area before 8:30PM today (Saturday, 21 September) to prevent any damage to equipment from inclement weather. Timing chips will also need to be returned at the entry to Transition at Jirisan Lake.
  • Transition will now open tomorrow, Sunday, 22 September at 4:30AM instead for athletes to rack their bicycles. All athletes will be able to collect their timing chips at Transition from 4:30AM tomorrow (Sunday, 22 September) as well.
  • Transition will close at 7:20AM on Sunday, 22 September
  • Race will start from 7:40AM on Sunday, 22 September
  • Bike Check-Out will take place on Sunday 22 September* from 12:15PM - 6:00PM

*There will be no bike check-out on Monday, 23 September. All bikes must be collected on Sunday, 22 September
There will also be no more special needs on the bike or run course. Athletes are only required to bring their Street Gear Bag on race morning.
We will be sharing further details on the updated course map and shuttle bus times in the coming hours.
This joint decision was made by the IRONMAN Gurye and IRONMAN Asia team after monitoring weather conditions and consultation with local Government authorities in the past 24 hours. Your safety is our priority and our team will continue monitoring the conditions closely.
Please check our Facebook page regularly for updates.

Sucks. Also shame they couldn’t get it close to 70.3 distance so you could at least have a standard race distance. All the best!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Dear athletes,

After consultation with key Government officials, stakeholders and safety agencies as we’ve closely monitored the worsening weather conditions from Typhoon Tapah over the past 48 hours, the decision has been made to cancel IRONMAN Gurye due to significant safety concerns for athletes, volunteers, spectators, and staff.

We strongly advise all participants and their family and friends to stay inside and follow any instructions given by the local government agencies.

While we are disappointed with this outcome, personal safety of all involved remains our highest priority and consideration. We will be sharing further details regarding this cancellation in the next 48 hours as it relates to other items, but again, we urge athletes and their families to focus on personal safety at this time.

For more information, please reach out to us via pm:m.me/IronmanGurye.

Yours sincerely,
Team IRONMAN Gurye and IRONMAN Asia

Originally from: https://eu.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz60A8Bx07J

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Dear athletes,

After consultation with key Government officials, stakeholders and safety agencies as we’ve closely monitored the worsening weather conditions from Typhoon Tapah over the past 48 hours, the decision has been made to cancel IRONMAN Gurye due to significant safety concerns for athletes, volunteers, spectators, and staff.

We strongly advise all participants and their family and friends to stay inside and follow any instructions given by the local government agencies.

While we are disappointed with this outcome, personal safety of all involved remains our highest priority and consideration. We will be sharing further details regarding this cancellation in the next 48 hours as it relates to other items, but again, we urge athletes and their families to focus on personal safety at this time.

Yours sincerely,

Originally from: https://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman/korea.aspx#ixzz60A8Bx07J

...And while there will be no refunds...we would like to offer you a free IM hat....
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm here in Gurye as well. It's a real shame they had to cancel, but given the forecast I don't see that they had any other choice.

The communication from event organisers could have been better. For example we had an announcement on our hotel noticeboard that the event was cancelled, yet IM maintained on their Facebook page that they were still planning to hold the event for a good hour after the poster went up.

Stories of volunteers being told hours before athletes. Somebody has to be told first, so no problem with that... But *hours* before?

We had to collect our bikes by 8:30 pm from transition, and sure enough, the official announcement was made very shortly after the transition was presumably cleared.

Again, I have no problems with cancelling the race. I want to push to my limits, but I'm not up for risking my life in the process.

One further point which surprised my was the fact that there was absolutely no check on the bikes during check in, i.e functioning brakes, helmets, etc, which given that they were still planning (so they say) to push ahead with as shortened race in poor conditions seemed a little odd. But, this was my first IM-brand long course, so what do I know?!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Jigsy wrote:
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Dear athletes,

Yours sincerely,

Originally from: https://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman/korea.aspx#ixzz60A8Bx07J

...And while there will be no refunds...we would like to offer you a free IM hat....

Do you get free entry to another race or is all lost?
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [Triheaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is precedent for this. After the cancelled Ironman Lake Tahoe, several options were offered in the week that followed including a 50% discount on other IMs, free entry to the same race the following year, or free deferral into a few races that were coming up a few weeks/months later.
Last edited by: jpk_phx: Sep 21, 19 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [Triheaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you still get a tattoo?
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
There is precedent for this. After the cancelled Ironman Lake Tahoe, several options were offered in the week that followed including a 50% discount on other IMs, free entry to the same race the following year, or free deferral into a few races that were coming up a few weeks/months later.

I read that the options for deferral and entry for the same race the next year were $100. Either way, thanks for the info. It'll be interesting to see what options, if any, are on the table in the next week or so.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hey what was the outcome with Korea cancellation? Free or discount entry at another event? What happened with the Kona slots?
Quote Reply
Re: Tomorrow's Ironman Gurye forecast ... pouring rain and 30mph winds... survival tips? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come down to Ironman Malaysia on Langkawi instead and I'll buy the beer.
I'll be the fat white guy so you won't have much trouble finding me in the crowd. :-)

Looks like the Kona slots will be given out by lottery.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Sep 25, 19 22:08
Quote Reply