Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike vs Wheel Upgrade
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen this exact thread on here, but if this has already been discussed, a link to the thread would be appreciated.

I'm looking to do an iron distance race in the 2020 season. Recently, I've raced (many Oly and one HIM) on a 2014 Trek Madone 6.2 H2 fit with stock everything except a forward seatmast and clip-on aerobars. I feel as though my fit is almost as good as it can be on this particular road bike.

My question is, since I'm comfortable with shorter race distances on this bike, does the jump to a full warrant an upgrade to a full on tri bike (ballin on a budget so let's assume stock everything)? Or would an upgrade to a 5/7 carbon wheelset be better? Regardless of the price difference, assume I can only buy one thing.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5905139
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike vs Wheel Upgrade [JBalady2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on whether you think you'll do more than one 70.3/IM because you are giving up a LOT more speed riding a road bike (doesn't matter what kind of road bike, to an extent) vs. a tri bike (with a good fit). If you think you'll be one-and-done, get the wheels and enjoy them in bike racing. If you think you'll be exploring more triathlon, get the bike. If you are uncertain but leaning towards more tris, get a cheap tri bike, the biggest difference maker is your position on it, compared to riding a road bike.

The difference will always be dependent on each rider but in my case, I have a Cervelo S3 and a Felt IA, both nice bikes in their own right, on a 40k TT in Central park (somewhat undulating, not flat but not "hilly") I had a 7-8 minute difference on a few different tries in various weather conditions. I do think that I have a less aggressive position on the roadie than most bike racers but even if I use the drops, I probably still give up 5-6m in just 40k.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to "buy" speed, there's no question. Get the bike. The difference is bigger than I ever believed before buying a genuine tri bike.

And in spite of what the wheel salespersons might tell us all, aero wheels really don't make that much difference. (Until Roval started selling aero wheels, Specialized's "Win Tunnel" said that aero wheels didn't make ANY significant difference! But since they are now selling aero wheels, they've changed their minds.) Both Helmet and skinsuit / speed suit make a ton more difference than the wheels would make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get most of the benefit of a tribike from your road bike by adding aero bars and adjusting the fit specifically to ride on the aero bars. You'll want to get your seat as far forward as you can as well. However, it's possible that your road bike's geometry just won't work well with aero bars, and you'd obviously be compromising your traditional road bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike vs Wheel Upgrade [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I wasn't clear above. I do already have clip-on aerobars and a forward seatpost. I've been racing with those for a year now and am comfortable with the fit.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5905139
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference for me (buying a cheap Tri bike) was about 1/2 hr in an IM distance.

The difference in comfort, position and smoother ride was unmistakable.

You would get most of that just buying second hand (old superbikes are fast) and throwing a cover on the back wheel.
It's almost the end of the season, there are some good deals out there including on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 World Championships was just won on a road bike with clip-on aero bars. (https://www.slowtwitch.com/...v_Iden_AMA_7419.html). In the linked thread he says he had a tri bike (Felt DA I think) but passed on it in favour of the road bike and it obviously didn't hurt him that badly.

The reality is that aerodynamically the differences between an aero road frame and TT frame are negligible. You do have to think about position and cleaning up the front end of the bike but you start talking marginal gains very quickly. The bigger difference between a true TT bike and an aero road bike set up like a TT bike is handling geometry. In most circumstance the TT bike will handle better but the 70.3 championships showed how close the balance is on a technical course.

Arguable you could put wheel upgrades in the same boat. It depends on where you are starting as to what difference you will see. The difference between a decent set to 50mm alloy rims with a carbon fairing and something like the ZIPP 808NSW is a lot of money and a small amount of time. However moving from box section alloys to the 50mm rims will cost less money and net a greater time savings. Similarly going from a box section wheel to a box section wheel with a disc cover represents a much better investment than going from the disc cover to a full disc.

So I see both sides of the argument but if your bike is well setup for triathlon DO NOT expect a TT bike to equate to faster times.
Quote Reply