Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [Bazza172] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like a clever idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.3 m/s is awful slow for a top end speed.

I don't see these flying off the shelves when it can't replicate faster than 1:10/100m. Having one that's at least 2.5 m/s would get swim teams interested.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:10 is more than fast enough for me :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see these flying off the shelves when it can't replicate faster than 1:10/100m. Having one that's at least 2.5 m/s would get swim teams interested. //

I dont think folks will buy this thing to do intervals or sprints. I think it is more for the Ironman crowd, just doing uninterrupted longer stuff. And that pace is faster than the fastest pros do Kona in, so I think the pace will be fine.

I had an endless pool a long time ago, and it was just to do relaxing straight swims, sometimes with some pace pressure, other times just to zone out and get used to not stopping.

Do they sell these things here in the states? That seems like a really good price, has anyone tried one, is it like an endless pool? Or is it a flop??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished an install of an Endless Pools Fastlane unit. Here are a couple of thoughts/concerns about this unit based on comparing it to the Fastlane:

1) the Fastlane tops out at around the same pace (1:10 per 100m). The size of the motor it uses to generate that sort of pace is giant compared to this unit, and requires a dedicated 220v 30A circuit. I just can't see how this thing can generate that sort of power. If it does, it must be in a very narrow band (like a few inches wide) in the center of the current.

2) I wonder how wide the usable current is that this thing generates at the stated pace? The Fastlane generates a current that's about 3' wide. If you stray outside that current to either side the pace drops off pretty quickly. Even with that width, staying centered in the current took a bit of practice. If the usable current on this thing is much narrower than that it would make it VERY challenging to use.

The price seems good, though.
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't do an effective stoke analysis at a snail's pace.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't do an effective stoke analysis at a snail's pace.//

I dont think you can do much stroke work swimming upstream anyway. Some things yes, other things no. These are for primarily just getting in and swimming. You and I just need something to swim against, and if I'm going to do an hour non stop, then this would be great, if it works like they say. I would imagine it would work for you too in that scenario, unless you have gotten faster than 1;10 for 100LCM pace for your ironman swim...IF so, then maybe you should be going over to get that new record...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I just finished an install of an Endless Pools Fastlane unit. Here are a couple of thoughts/concerns about this unit based on comparing it to the Fastlane:

1) the Fastlane tops out at around the same pace (1:10 per 100m). The size of the motor it uses to generate that sort of pace is giant compared to this unit, and requires a dedicated 220v 30A circuit. I just can't see how this thing can generate that sort of power. If it does, it must be in a very narrow band (like a few inches wide) in the center of the current.

2) I wonder how wide the usable current is that this thing generates at the stated pace? The Fastlane generates a current that's about 3' wide. If you stray outside that current to either side the pace drops off pretty quickly. Even with that width, staying centered in the current took a bit of practice. If the usable current on this thing is much narrower than that it would make it VERY challenging to use.

The price seems good, though.

I’m thinking about putting in a pool next year. How much does the Fastlane cost? Feel free to PM if that’s better for you.

The debate I’m having is whether to make the pool long enough to hopefully have a decent swimming length or do something like a Fastlane. I have enough room to make the diagonal of a pool at least 60’ and could go to 75’, but that would cost a lot more and I also want to maintain some greenspace in the yard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer the questions around the Bestway Swimfinity I made a short video that show me swim from different positions and providing a short overview on the functionalities.

Maybe worth a look -

I am very satisfied even though I was part of a decent swim team like 20 years ago. Today at 1:16min/100 min top speed the machine suits my needs wonderfully

Additionally my noise that I make while swimming is louder than the machine itself ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see how that thing generates anything close to 1:10 per 100m pace. Or a useable swim lane width at that claimed speed. I just took delivery of my Master Spa unit that generates at top end a pace of 1:13 and it requires 3 massive variable speed pumps and a dedicated 240V/50amp circuit. It might be sending water out at a specific pace, but is it a useable flow. For $1K I highly doubt it.
I also looked at the Endless Pool brand that sells a unit similar to this that is installed to an existing pool (I decided I didn't want to add a unit like that to our pool) and requires massive power and a hydraulic unit to generate that speed. The Endless Pool unit that attaches to a pre-existing pool similar to this unit is $10K.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome. I wonder if it would work with a cheap Amazon pool.
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [supervisor268] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you purchase this on Amazon? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the video, at 1'30"/100m, your stroke rate is ~30 strokes per minute. This means you have a 220cm distance-per-stroke in open water. Very hard to believe, unless you post your gps data for an open water swim and prove me wrong
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on some youtube videos and knowing what is people's typical stroke length, my guess is that the actual top speed of that device is ~1'45"/100y . They claim a top speed close to the endless pool fastlane, which is 4 times more powerful. You can't fool mechanics, though...
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Based on some youtube videos and knowing what is people's typical stroke length, my guess is that the actual top speed of that device is ~1'45"/100y . They claim a top speed close to the endless pool fastlane, which is 4 times more powerful. You can't fool mechanics, though...

^this
Was going to add to my post the same.........that it appears (to the naked eye) in the ballpark of 1:45-2:00.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
They claim a top speed close to the endless pool fastlane, which is 4 times more powerful. You can't fool mechanics, though...

We instaledl a Fastlane unit last year in our pool so I'm familiar with the pump, hydraulics and electrical requirements for that unit. There's absolutely ZERO chance that this unit can generate anywhere near that power based on the harware I'm seeing.
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No as Amazon was all sold out. I managed to import the unit from Italy to Germany. It arrived within 4 days by truck
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah- ok, thanks.

So this sounds crazy and a bit dangerous, but do you guys think an electric boat trolling motor ( with an enhanced safety cage so I don't lose my fingers) would work? Those things produce a large amount of thrust, you can pick one up for around $200. Thoughts? Tempted to try it.
Quote Reply
Re: A type of Endless Pool - This any good? [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if replacing the unit's engine with a stronger one is an option. It appears that it features a 1000 watt commercial unit; possibly the structure could accomodate a 2200 watt one, thus providing a decent flow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys,
before you engage with something as dangerous as a boat motor or fiddle with the electronics vor motor I would go an alternative route and try and create a venturi effect by channeling the water flow.

Currently the impeller is pushing the water through the complete front panel. Potentially the water speed could be increased by only having 25% of the front panel open for the water.

As this would put more pressure on the motor of the device and the impeller it might decrease the life span.

At roughly 1K Euro that might be a good compromise over all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trolling motor for $200? I used to have a fishing boat and any decent trolling motor started at $500, and I don't think would produce anywhere near the water flow for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you would have a VERY hard time swimming in a stream that narrow. The Fastlane generates a current that's about 3 ft. wide. I have to be somewhat focused to stay in that stream. If you move much out of it the pace drops off pretty drastically. As it is, this looks like it's narrower than the Fastlane, and if you make it even narrower it would be near-impossible to stay in the current, IMO.
Quote Reply