Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Anyone not yet seeing software v2.8 yet on Garmin Express?

v2.8 was supposed to enable wrist-based HR while swimming. Yet when I go into Garmin Express, it's saying that my watch which has v2.7 is up to date. The only option it gives me to update is for an update to maps for the rest of the world (which I don't have an immediate need for).

I'm in Canada if that matters

I got v2.8 last week. The swimming HR works fine for me, but then I don't swim by HR I just look at it afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
Quote:
Anyway: mine was set on "smart". Somebody could try doing a triathlon with it set to "Every second" and check if results improve...

Actually my races were recorded with "Every second" so this doesn't solve the issue.
(Unless there's a problem in triathlon-mode which overrules/modifies this setting temporarily?!
the tracks actually look like some sort of smart recording was used, or a longer fixed interval (10+ sec's or so))

Regarding the chipset; I'm currently using 830 + 945 during races and the 830 tracks definitely look reasonably ok.
Also during training I typically record both (however will delete the 945) however my commutes are only tracked with 945 and these look fine (in bike-mode)

Really think this is a firmware issue.

I wonder if the 935 does this as well. Clearly the edge's don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, never observed this on my 935.

Regarding Garmin's response:
I've already updated/synced recently and did a hard reset last monday (device was frozen).
Sending back just doesn't make sense as this clearly looks like a firmware bug!

Any other users with direct tech contacts at Garmin (DCrainmaker?)?
(I will try to get in touch with their engineering team as well; might have some possibilities via the company I work for (some of our chipsets are used in these devices...)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Anyone not yet seeing software v2.8 yet on Garmin Express?

v2.8 was supposed to enable wrist-based HR while swimming. Yet when I go into Garmin Express, it's saying that my watch which has v2.7 is up to date. The only option it gives me to update is for an update to maps for the rest of the world (which I don't have an immediate need for).

I'm in Canada if that matters

https://www8.garmin.com/...details.jsp?id=14823

Does that work for you? I did mine manually a week ago because my auto-update showed 2.7 as current.

I must be missing something. That page is just a link that says "Use Garmin Express to install the file" and a list of change histories. I tried re-downloading Garmin express, but no luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have issues with the race predictor?

I just ran an open half marathon this morning 12 minutes faster than the new predicted time it gave me, the time it gave me as a result of this morning's race. I have 70.3 run segments faster than the time its giving me. The odd part is that the VO2 max is in line with what the internets tell me from this morning's race.

I understand that it is supposed to take 2 weeks to learn the user (I got the watch a week ago), but shouldn't it account for the fact that, you know, I just ran a race faster than its predicted value? (the course was long, too, so that shouldn't be a problem - I ran through both the 5k and 10k faster than prediction)
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 22, 19 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
Do you also notice issues in swim-tracks in races (tri-mode)? from what I've observed, it seems that my swim-distance is 10-20% shorter than other competitors

mattyboy wrote:
My 945 showed something like 1200-ish yards on my last supposedly 1 mile open water swim.
My only measured OWS in tri mode with my 945 was pretty good... 2,149 yards measured on a 1.2 mile swim. That said, I take OWS results with a huge grain of salt given the impossible conditions for the watch and higher likilhood of course distance errors.

Just to update users - did the Oceanside Tikiswim 1.2 mile today with 945 on left wrist and Fenix3 on the right. 945 had 2267 yards and the F3 had 2740. The 945 has a noticeably smoother track, however I used to think the F3 was pretty accurate...now I'm second guessing that. This is with the 2.80 software on the 945.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

I just ran an open half marathon this morning 12 minutes faster than the new predicted time it gave me, the time it gave me as a result of this morning's race. I have 70.3 run segments faster than the time its giving me. The odd part is that the VO2 max is in line with what the internets tell me from this morning's race.

I understand that it is supposed to take 2 weeks to learn the user (I got the watch a week ago), but shouldn't it account for the fact that, you know, I just ran a race faster than its predicted value? (the course was long, too, so that shouldn't be a problem - I ran through both the 5k and 10k faster than prediction)

Yes, same I’m running 70.3’s faster than my predicted open time on the 945.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
Do you also notice issues in swim-tracks in races (tri-mode)? from what I've observed, it seems that my swim-distance is 10-20% shorter than other competitors

mattyboy wrote:
My 945 showed something like 1200-ish yards on my last supposedly 1 mile open water swim.
My only measured OWS in tri mode with my 945 was pretty good... 2,149 yards measured on a 1.2 mile swim. That said, I take OWS results with a huge grain of salt given the impossible conditions for the watch and higher likilhood of course distance errors.

Just to update users - did the Oceanside Tikiswim 1.2 mile today with 945 on left wrist and Fenix3 on the right. 945 had 2267 yards and the F3 had 2740. The 945 has a noticeably smoother track, however I used to think the F3 was pretty accurate...now I'm second guessing that. This is with the 2.80 software on the 945.

Thanks for the update; not aware whether your swim was a race or not? however in case you were swimming with other athletes, did you also check their Strava and what swim-length they had?
In my view, the 945 also looks very smooth (935 as well).
So maybe these 2 watches are more accurate and others are overestimating?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [DanCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DanCT wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Yes, same I’m running 70.3’s faster than my predicted open time on the 945.

Dan

Also noticed the same last week when I ran a PR 5km and the 945 estimated my best 5k at 30sec's slower ... although this could be related to the latter part of the run (ran a slow-pace second part of the run (10k total) however heart-rate was still very high then; so VO2max even ended up lower after this run) well I never really took these estimates seriously anyways...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
Thanks for the update; not aware whether your swim was a race or not? however in case you were swimming with other athletes, did you also check their Strava and what swim-length they had?
In my view, the 945 also looks very smooth (935 as well).
So maybe these 2 watches are more accurate and others are overestimating?

Yes this was a race, I was only able to check with one other athlete who had 2500-something on her 920XT, so right in the middle of my two watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to jump in and get a 945 that that some UK retailers have them at around the £400 mark - but part of me is paranoid that these could be a refurb unit rather than new. (Didn't the early units suffer from sticky buttons?)

Is there anyway to tell whether a watch is brand new or not? (broken seals, serial numbers etc)

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply

Prev Next