Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I put this bar on that base bar?
Quote | Reply
Profile Sonic Stryke

on a Pro Missile Alloy

I need some way to clamp the base bar narrower than where the clamps are on the aerobars. suggestions?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 18, 19 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: How do I put this bar on that base bar? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume the issue is that the pads are too close together when clamped on the pro missle, clamping area....or that they interfer and cant be clamped that close at all?

I haven't really found a decent picture online of the bars, or dimensions to get a clear understanding of the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I put this bar on that base bar? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ib]they interfer and cant be clamped that close at all[/b]?

That's the issue. The bar clamp on the sonic stryke bars is directly under the pads, instead of being inboard of the pads like most bars. So I need something that will reposition the bar clamp so it is inboard of the pads.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much "offset" do you need from the clamping width in order to get to the right elbow width?

Do you have "stack" to raise the pads above the bar?

One idea would be to create a rectangular plate that bolts to the top of the clamp, which allows you to move the extensions outboard, as required. This obviously is going to raise the extensions by the thickness of the plate, if you don't have to go very far then the plate wouldn't have to be all that thick. But, the greater the leverarm....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
How much "offset" do you need from the clamping width in order to get to the right elbow width?

Do you have "stack" to raise the pads above the bar?

One idea would be to create a rectangular plate that bolts to the top of the clamp, which allows you to move the extensions outboard, as required. This obviously is going to raise the extensions by the thickness of the plate, if you don't have to go very far then the plate wouldn't have to be all that thick. But, the greater the leverarm....

That's basically the idea. Not sure of the exact dimensions I'd need, I'll have to do a test fitting first. And probably some dremeling since the extensions also point slightly inwards. I would also probably do that as a bridge rather than 2 single sided parts, because of the leverage involved.

Just wondering if there is a better solution.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if I was doing something like this I'd be happier with a single bar that crossed the top of both clamps. (ETA missed that you already mentioned that idea, ignore me).
Last edited by: OddSlug: Sep 18, 19 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think there would be enough strength in the top part of this bracket to secure the extension and the pad?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. You'd still need an adaptor plate to match mounting holes, obviously. I think the key point in that approach would be to ensure that the hole spacing in the stryke allowed one mounting hole to completely overhang the bracket. You don't want to have to modify the PD bracket.

I was looking at a similar idea using one of the Zip Vuka options...because, they use longitudinal pad mounting screws instead of the PD stuff which mostly uses lateral screw platement.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I put this bar on that base bar? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too much headache. I would just go with different aero bars.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I put this bar on that base bar? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Too much headache. I would just go with different aero bars.

I already have bars that I’m happy with, and I have the sonic strykes lying around from an old build. I’m just trying to figure out if I can make them useable again

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of bars with wide round clamp areas. Use one of those.

In fact I have a Felt Bayonet 3 basebar that is hardly used, that I'd trade you for the Pro. The clamp area is ~20mm wider if that is enough.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I put this bar on that base bar? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
There are lots of bars with wide round clamp areas. Use one of those.

In fact I have a Felt Bayonet 3 basebar that is hardly used, that I'd trade you for the Pro. The clamp area is ~20mm wider if that is enough.

That wouldn't be enough. Part of the fun for me is getting shit to work that's not supposed to work. I think I know how I might do it, gonna scrounge through my parts bins tonight and see what I can find.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it working without having to mod anything. Turns out that the clamp is angled, so if I turned it around the extensions point straight up. I removed the built in computer mount and i could get it installed in the position I was going for, with the extensions touching and forearms together. Now to train with it and see how it works in practice

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

I love it when a plan comes together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had quite a few queries about the Sonic Stryke since the advent of speedbars

For anyone who is thinking of making adaptor plates - you need to be going for full bolt separation - 1st round hole to first oval, not 3rd to 1st or two ovals.
There is quite a bit of force applied to the bolts with these designs.
Obviously, making any modification is at your own risk and not advised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know it worked. I made modification to the brackets on an old set of Zipp Vuka alloy clips to add tilt adjustment. It *seemed* to work really well until a bolt snapped and the cup suddenly moved out from underneath me. Luckily it was on a trainer so no injury but I clearly miss judged the forces in play. I came to the conclusion that the use of multiple small bolts for many bars helps protect you from over-torqueing the setup but creates ample room for failure when you start mucking around with things.
Quote Reply