Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
AndyCaleb wrote:

I feel like this is something that should get mentioned more, when people talk about pros and cons of disc brakes. I would not have bought disc brakes if I had known they were so finicky. I really dislike riding a noisy bike. Am I the only one? Sorry for the rant, but just had to get it off my chest.

Oh, it gets mentioned...along with pointing out the tendency for them to also squeal more upon application...but those voices usually get shouted down, typically with accusations of Luddite-ism. :-/

In the end, the tight pad to rotor clearances required on hydraulic discs are the result of using a relatively small braking surface at a relatively small diameter, and with materials that aren't super "grabby" (relatively speaking)...all of which means that the piston forces need to be quite high for a given braking torque. Since the travel is basically defined by the piston seal rolling (and is pretty much linear) this means (combined with the high force required) that the piston travel distance is quite small. It's a leverage thing...you can trade off travel for force, and vice versa. On many vehicles (such as cars, motorcycles, etc.) the pads actually rub almost all the time...but, those aren't powered by mere fractional hp "engines", so the additional drag isn't really noticed...it just is what it is.

Oh yeah...I've found that one of the nice things about using cable actuated discs is you can adjust the pad clearance up or down as necessary. Sure, that also means you need to periodically adjust them for wear as well, but that's a pretty minor annoyance. Folks tend to say that the cable-actuated models don't perform nearly as well as hydraulic, but that's really only true when comparing to ones that only move one pad and rely on disc flex to press against the other (such as Avid BB7s, etc.) Set up with solid, link-type cable housings, the power transfer on dual sided actuation models (e.g. TRP Spyres) really doesn't give up much, if anything, to hydraulic actuation IMHO.

Lots of this... emphasis added. Discs brakes can work well in terms of the actual functioning (as can rim brakes), but in my experience they always require significantly more work and fiddling than rim brakes... and they always make more noise. I've run in to more than one disc supporter that just doesn't mind the noise. The biggest impediment to this entire discussion is that it's very nuanced... for both rim and disc brakes, the devil is in the details, and it's impossible to talk about in short generalizations (which doesn't go well in modern internet culture). I've written in many articles for several major publications about this... here are a couple:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...r_-_Part_1_6977.html
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...r_-_Part_2_6982.html

I say this as someone who was really enthusiastic really early on discs... first for cyclocross, due to a lot of the awful canti brakes and flexy forks. With road, I was at the very first road disc press event for Shimano, and I was admittedly impressed with the feel and performance (though the best rim brakes are equal or near-equal). Years later, having a better understanding of the costs, I am a lot less enthusiastic about them. My day-to-day bike has rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:

Lots of this... emphasis added.

Huh...I have sensitive ears, but I've never noticed squealing by a disc brake bike on road rides. (my road bike is rim brake, but I've probably been around thousands of them on various group rides).

I'm a squealer on my rim brake bike when I sometimes forget to change out my pads when I change between training (alloy) and race (carbon) wheels.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 18, 19 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
I say this as someone who was really enthusiastic really early on discs... first for cyclocross, due to a lot of the awful canti brakes and flexy forks. With road, I was at the very first road disc press event for Shimano, and I was admittedly impressed with the feel and performance (though the best rim brakes are equal or near-equal). Years later, having a better understanding of the costs, I am a lot less enthusiastic about them. My day-to-day bike has rim brakes.

I've been looking at disc brakes simply because all the new bikes have them. The problem is I have a closet full of functional and fast rim brake wheels, and the last gen Cervelo S5. Essentially I'm making a lateral move aerowise (maybe a touch worse), a downward move weight wise, and I've never had a braking performance issue with the dura ace calipers. I've not been outbraked descending or cornering, and all my friends seem to get the "ting, ting, ting" when they stand.

I want a new bike, don't want the hassle.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
. for both rim and disc brakes, the devil is in the details,

I get comments that 'you must not have your disc brakes set up properly if you don't think they're the best thing ever' but I think a lot of adherents never took the time to set up rim brakes properly (choice of rim being a big part of that).

I ride my race bike more than my training bike because I prefer the rim brakes in every way. And I'm quite worried about the future as there is unlikely to be a better bike than the S5 for a very long time so I need it to survive.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Huh...I have sensitive ears, but I've never noticed squealing by a disc brake bike on road rides. (my road bike is rim brake, but I've probably been around thousands of them on various group rides).

I laughed while watching a few stages of the Tour this year where in certain conditions, you can quite easily hear the disc brakes in the bunch squealing upon application. It's a sound fairly familiar to me...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gregk wrote:

Lots of this... emphasis added.

I'm a squealer on my rim brake bike when I sometimes forget to change out my pads when I change between training (alloy) and race (carbon) wheels.

I've certainly heard squealing on rim brakes, but rarely, and with carbon rims almost every time... and/or with really crappy calipers. With road discs, I've had way more noise. Couple press events jump out in the last year with tons of squeal and howl - with bikes all set up by professional mechanics. Nice weather (dry, low humidity) and super fastidious setup seem to be the best medicine, along with frequent pad replacement... and I've had the best luck with Shimano hydros. When I've had personal disc bikes, I can usually get them to be pretty quiet in most conditions, but there's always a lot more fiddling. Just one example, I had a disc road bike with Shimano CX77 mechanical brakes and organic pads... tight pad clearance, but I got them dialed - except they'd always squeal loudly right as I came to a stop. Higher speed braking was fine. I was screwing around and put this video together, and you can hear the noise twice - once towards the beginning, and once at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
gregk wrote:

I get comments that 'you must not have your disc brakes set up properly if you don't think they're the best thing ever' but I think a lot of adherents never took the time to set up rim brakes properly (choice of rim being a big part of that).

I ride my race bike more than my training bike because I prefer the rim brakes in every way. And I'm quite worried about the future as there is unlikely to be a better bike than the S5 for a very long time so I need it to survive.

Yup. I'm more okay with discs if I have a perfectly set up Shimano hydro system and never remove or swap the wheels... but with the reality of product testing, I'm constantly changing things.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
trail wrote:

I laughed while watching a few stages of the Tour this year where in certain conditions, you can quite easily hear the disc brakes in the bunch squealing upon application. It's a sound fairly familiar to me...

The loudest I've experienced was on a rainy ride in Switzerland at a BMC road event this year. I don't know if there was something special about that rain, or if the SRAM brakes were all set up wrong (they had a protour mechanic), but every single bike in our group of ~20 was howling, squealing, and screaming LOUDLY. I think we scared some Swiss cows (and pedestrians).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, for the comments and advice. What started out as a bit of a rant has actually turned out to be quite an informative thread. I will spend some time on youtube this weekend and check out all the links and advice provided on this thread. I do have shimano hydro, and only one set of wheels, so hopefully success will be attainable, and hopefully I can learn to embrace disc brake maintenance as part of the regular routine -- just like cleaning and lubing the chain, or changing a flat, or replacing a worn cassette and chain. I guess it will be worth it, since I do love everything else about this bike. Well, except maybe that the matte black paint job is so hard to keep clean -- how come nobody ever talks about that?? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Benv wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Folks tend to say that the cable-actuated models don't perform nearly as well as hydraulic, but that's really only true when comparing to ones that only move one pad and rely on disc flex to press against the other (such as Avid BB7s, etc.) Set up with solid, link-type cable housings, the power transfer on dual sided actuation models (e.g. TRP Spyres) really doesn't give up much, if anything, to hydraulic actuation IMHO.

Housing type and routing can matter as well. The big benefit of hydraulic actuation is that it introduces almost zero sponginess, even with tight housing bends.

As long as it's bled correctly...and often ;-)
Not sure I agree with this - my road bike is about 14 months old and I've never had to bleed the brakes.

Well, like most of these things, it depends on usage. If you spend a lot of time heating them up on long descents, you'll be bleeding more often...if not, then not so much. I'm comparing the results of the former, not the latter.

Are yours using mineral oil or dot fluid? Sounds like dot.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Pads and rotors tend to have a bit more noise until they break in.

I have both disc and rim brakes and find that disc breaks are much better performing and don't really require any more maintenance than rim brakes.

However, get them wet and full of dirt and you will hear noise. Usually a good hard brake will clean them off if you're out on a ride. If the rotor isn't straight, get a new one or straighten it with a wrench.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:
gregk wrote:

Yup. I'm more okay with discs if I have a perfectly set up Shimano hydro system and never remove or swap the wheels... but with the reality of product testing, I'm constantly changing things.

I was going to ask how often people remove their wheels if having issues. Even on my mtb, at least with qr skewers you might have to put the wheel in and out a few times you get it back to the previous tolerance. A mm or so makes a difference. Axles seem to help with this, but not sure for road bike since my roubaix is qr.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rub -- How come more people are not complaining about this? [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
gregk wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:
gregk wrote:

I was going to ask how often people remove their wheels if having issues. Even on my mtb, at least with qr skewers you might have to put the wheel in and out a few times you get it back to the previous tolerance. A mm or so makes a difference. Axles seem to help with this, but not sure for road bike since my roubaix is qr.

With some disc systems, 0.25 or 0.5mm makes a big difference - super tight clearances. Some folks never remove wheels, but it can happen pretty frequently if you have a roof rack or repair stand that requires front wheel removal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next