Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calgary trip- activities?
Quote | Reply
Clan Vitus is travelling quasi-international. We're going to Calgary February 17-20. What's to do up there?

So far, we've discovered that there's a winter festival at the Olympic Center that weekend. Ten bucks for a luge ride! Woo hoo! Other ideas?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Calgary trip- activities? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you are skiers, but Banff/Lake Louise is only about an hour and a half drive from Calgary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quasi-international

The last time i checked, Canada was most assuredly its own country...

The way the winter has been, you could take your golf clubs...

Canada Olympic Park is definitely worth a visit, but if you're into nature in the least i'd highly recommend a trip to Banff and surrounding regions, and if you have the time, the drive from Banff to Jasper is absolutely jaw dropping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best strip club I have ever been to was in Calgery.

Nevermind....
Quote Reply
Re: Calgary trip- activities? [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh - the French Maid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey:

That all depends. Are you all cultured and stuff? Are there children in Clan Vitus? Do you wanna go for a run? Are you bringing a bike? Is shopping a requirement?
The zoo is a grand experience, kids or not, but it's always a big hit with the tots. The Glenbow Museum has an exhibition on Petra: City of Stone that ends February 20th. Right down the street is the Olympic Plaza where (if the weather is even slightly helpful) you can skate right out front of the Centre for the Performing Arts and City Hall. There's Heritage Park - it's a ... park, that exhibits the, um, heritage of European settlers in Western Canada. Lotsa local music and stuff at Ironwood, Palomino and Jackdaws.

The running paths extending along the Bow and Elbow rivers will give you an opportunity to run long if you want. The highways west of town have been clear enough to ride on nearly all year.

You can always go to Banff if you feel you have to, the locals tend to head to Kananaskis Country - it's closer, with good cross-country and downhill skiing (although you owe it to yourself to ski Lake Louise).

WayPastFast is a smallish triathlon store in the northwest of the city. It's got great people and much cool tristuff. They carry Felt, Kuota, Cervelo and much much more.

Be warned. The third Monday in February is Family Day in Alberta - a statutory holiday. So we're all goofin' off doing the same stuff you'll be doing.

Welcome and have some fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Calgary trip- activities? [Darryl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you all cultured and stuff?

No, but we aspire to be.

Are there children in Clan Vitus?

Two boys, ages 2 and 5.

Do you wanna go for a run? Are you bringing a bike? Is shopping a requirement?

Wouldn't mind going for a run, but we're not bringing the bikes or stroller, I think. Some window shopping might be nice.

The zoo is a grand experience<>

Thanks for all the suggestions, they help. Banff looked nice, but I don't know if we want to drive that far to ski. How far is Kananaskis from downtown? I don't know if we'll do any skiing, really, since we have some slopes locally, but you never know.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To keep the topic Lavender Room-ish, you can get a preview for all things Kananaskis and Banff by simply watching Brokeback Mountain - it was filmed entirely in that region... Take the family!

K-country, as the locals call it, is about 1 hour from downtown, depending on traffic...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya gotta go speed skating at the oval at U of C. One thing I ALWAYS do when I'm in town.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your boys will love the town of Drumheller.

It is located on the Red Deer River, about an hour and a half north of Calgary. Drumheller, more specifically the Red Deer River Canyon is the dinosaur fossil capital of the world! The entire town is crazy about dinosaurs, complete with a four story T-rex statue that your kids can climb up inside of and look out his mouth. There are dinosaur statues on most street corners (all kinds) and a pretty good public library and dinosaur museum. Not much else as it is a tiny little country town and fossil hunting in the cold won't be much fun. Better hunting in the summertime.

Keep your eyes open on the drive if you make it. There are tons of wild game in the area (mule deer, elk, shiras moose, pronghorn antelope, white tail deer, 60 lb porcupines and lots of coyotes that are bigger than they are anywhere else I've been. I thought they were wolves until I saw one up close.

There are a couple of good local eateries, and a couple of chains (boston pizza) but I would just make it a big day trip that 5 YO and younger will remember solely based on seeing a lifesized T-REX!

I've hunted the area for six years and really enjoy the rolling countryside and abundance of game. I understand the fishing is pretty exceptional in the river as well, but it might still be too cold for that.

Downtown Calgary is as modern/metropolitan as any I've seen, though I didn't spend too much time there. I am sure museums, parks, theatres, and the usual urban entertainment is available. Use your credit card for as many transactions as possible as Canadians are as bad at math as americans and you'll get screwed on the exchange rate every single time if you pay with US$.

If the kiddo's ski, I think someone mentioned Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper Park. All absolutely gorgeous, and relatively short drives from Calgary. I am jealous. Have a great time.
Quote Reply
Re: Calgary trip- activities? [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Hookem forgot to mention the name of the dinosaur museum in Drumheller, it's the Royal Tyrell Museum. My two year old loves that place, and of course the zoo as mentioned. Another cheesy, but fun place for the kids to visit is the Calgary Tower. Just a big, tall structure in downtown Calgary. I remember enjoying it as a kid, and great views on a clear day.

It will definitely be busy on that weekend due to Family Day on the 20th, and even more so in the mountains. Unless you enjoy traffic, I'd personally recommend staying away from places like Banff and Lake Louise.

Have fun!

Chris

--
"I do not hurt on the bike, I punish."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of ideas:

Elbow falls is right on the edge of the mtn and a 40min drive from town. Nice walking paths - even for a two yr old. The drive out there is quite scenic and if the weather is good you will see lots of bikes. Bragg Creek is the town that you will pass and it is well know for being a good place to icecrea or pie.

If it is really cold (weather here is random)... There are a couple of really good indoor pools c/w water slides and wave pools. Westside rec has a lane pool, river rapids and a water slide. Southland Liesure center has 3 water slides (even one for the little guys) and a full on wave pool.

The zoo is always good.

The Science Center is really good for kids... Lots of cool stuff and there is usually a lego building and racing area.

Calgary tower is kind of cool on a clear day.

Prince's Island Parkis right downtown and has a good playground. Also right next to Eau Clare market... Good icecream.

There are a couple of indor plat centers if it is really cold. 'Lets Play' in the south and 'Adventure Zone' near Chinook Center have climbing structures and ball room type stuff.

Hope that helps...
Quote Reply