Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finished first year of triathlon
Quote | Reply
Hi — I have done my first year of triathlon, started with training in March and completed two oly events, both in around 2.45. One was a sea swim, the other had a hilly bike leg so I got a lot of great experience. I have been training around 5 hours a week, not much by most people’s standards on this board I expect. Over the Autumn/ winter is it received wisdom to back off the triathlon training a bit, or at these levels do you keep going at same level or even do more? My plan next year is to gradually try and bring my oly time down. No current desire to do am IM. My swim time is about 28 min, bike time is around 1.10 on a flat course, and run about 52. I am 46. Cheers. Will
Quote Reply
Re: Finished first year of triathlon [Willrb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those times don’t add up to a 2.45??? Or transitions took you 15+ minutes overall?

Anyway, based on those times seems like your main weakness is the run (unless it’s a pacing issue that caused you to burn out before starting to run).
Quote Reply
Re: Finished first year of triathlon [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, these are my best splits over the two races. Never managed to combine them together in one race unfortunately !!

Running training has been inconsistent due to injury. I am building in some strength training to see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your question about what you should do in the offseason. It depends. I switch over to gravel biking and add in some more strength training. I’ll still throw in a run here and there as well as a swim. Some trying to improve on one leg by doing something like a large swim block or large run block. I think it varies quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willrb wrote:
Sorry, these are my best splits over the two races. Never managed to combine them together in one race unfortunately !!

Running training has been inconsistent due to injury. I am building in some strength training to see if that helps.

I am no coach, but for me, if I was getting injuries from running, I would change my runs to lower intensity but maybe higher volume runs, and start adding in flexibility and mobility training for my feet and knees. I don't think it is a strength issue.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Finished first year of triathlon [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks v much. Have been doing quite a lot of tempo blocks and hill repeats stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willrb wrote:
Thanks v much. Have been doing quite a lot of tempo blocks and hill repeats stuff.

If you've been getting injured a lot, I'd cut all that out. Both Tempo and Hill repeats carry high risks for causing overuse injuries. Go back to running easy, frequently. ... Well, first I'd take some time to properly heal from any nagging injuries / niggles.

Once you are completely healthy, consider something like a BarryP style run program. All easy running, 6 days a week. Build volume conservatively (< 10% per week) following the plan up to the recommended volume for your chosen race distance.

As a former injury prone runner, I adopted the above approach 3 years ago. I used to get every running injury you can name: ITBS, PFS, platar faciitis, neuromas, achilles tendonitis, abdominal strains, etc. The first year I did nothing but easy, slow running (outside of races). I haven't been injured since, and now I can do whatever I want, hills, tempo, threshold, all-out 400s, etc. Last Dec-March I did the "100 runs in 100 days" challege (aka 100/100): running every day, often 2-4 times in a day...averaging 40+ miles per week for 3 months. Again, zero injuries---zedo niggles, zero twinges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will - I would suggest reading Joel Friel's training bible - this is a great book after you have completed your first season. There is tons of great background info here and learning how to "listen" to you body while training. He also provides very detailed worksheets to setup and track training blocks. Overall a great book.

BJO
Quote Reply
Re: Finished first year of triathlon [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks v much. That’s interesting. Have to say I never got injured when I was running that way before.
Quote Reply
Re: Finished first year of triathlon [olesbj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks. I have it but it’s still on the shelf !! I am long overdue reading it. Will
Quote Reply