Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you ‘feel’ wheel stall
Quote | Reply
As title.
I have a flo 60 on the front. Where I live is very windy and the bypass I often ride up is very exposed and often has a cross headwind of about 45 deg.
I remember seeing old wind tunnel charts, like the old 808 which would get faster till 20 degrees and then suddenly stall.

Newer wheels like the flo claim to be more resistant to this.

Sometimes when I’m riding along this section it suddenly feels like the front wheel stalls, I can’t quite describe it but without a noticeable charge in wind or gust it suddenly feels like pedalling in sand.
If found it worse with a worn and flattened tire.

The other thing that I was wondering was it doesn’t seem to happen with my narrower wheel. I’ve always wondered if the flo60 was too wide for the p4 fork, it fits fine but the gap isn’t huge and I remember British cycling went to a very wide fork to open up this gap and allow the air to flow through.
Could the high yaw wind be making a load of turbulence at this point?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you ‘feel’ wheel stall [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES. I've got 90mm Flos, and ride regularly in stiff crosswinds. I'll lightly lean and steer into the wind, to compensate and remain riding and tracking straight. All of a sudden the pressure will drop off, and the front wheel will lurch into the wind with seemingly no pressure on it. Its unnerving at first, and could probably even cause a crash if you're not ready. But you get used to it, and relax the death grip, and soon it becomes a non issue. Interesting you mention flat tire, as momentarily, that's exactly what it feels like.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Sep 15, 19 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have felt that before on stronger cross winds but I didn't know what it was because I was just trying to control the bike the first time. Since then I have noticed it just a few times and peddling in sand is a good visual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
As title.
I have a flo 60 on the front. Where I live is very windy and the bypass I often ride up is very exposed and often has a cross headwind of about 45 deg.
I remember seeing old wind tunnel charts, like the old 808 which would get faster till 20 degrees and then suddenly stall.

Newer wheels like the flo claim to be more resistant to this.

Sometimes when I’m riding along this section it suddenly feels like the front wheel stalls, I can’t quite describe it but without a noticeable charge in wind or gust it suddenly feels like pedalling in sand.
If found it worse with a worn and flattened tire.

The other thing that I was wondering was it doesn’t seem to happen with my narrower wheel. I’ve always wondered if the flo60 was too wide for the p4 fork, it fits fine but the gap isn’t huge and I remember British cycling went to a very wide fork to open up this gap and allow the air to flow through.
Could the high yaw wind be making a load of turbulence at this point?

I've definitely felt the wind let up and a sudden feeling of less pressure on the front wheel, but I've never had a flat/riding in sand feeling. That's interesting.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Can you ‘feel’ wheel stall [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
I've definitely felt the wind let up and a sudden feeling of less pressure on the front wheel, but I've never had a flat/riding in sand feeling. That's interesting.

Yeah, I have been riding Flo 90's on my road bike and have definitely felt the pressure drop / release / switch as wind swirls around. But never really felt like I was going backwards or actually stalled. Just pressure changes. The wheels feel fast in head and crosswinds (but that's totally anecdotal).

-Eric
Quote Reply