Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100% Effective Wahoo / Apple TV / Zwift Troubleshooting Guide
Quote | Reply
I have used this setup with reasonable reliability for about a year.

Today, I hit my limit.

I was going to do my first-ever Zwift race. I logged on and nothing paired. I tried the normal troubleshooting. Nothing. I spent the next two hours (yes, two hours) starting/restarted/pairing/repairing until I realized the problem.

This equipment sucks...so I went for a run. Problem solved. I'm happy to report my running shoes paired to my feet on the first attempt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would pay many thousands of extra dollars for wired connections and syncing. Everything else is just so unreliable and frustrating as hell.
Quote Reply
Re: 100% Effective Wahoo / Apple TV / Zwift Troubleshooting Guide [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enclose your pain cave in a ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage ) Faraday cage and run Ethernet to your Apple TV (kind of pink).

We've basically taken a bunch of very low power devices (HRMs, cadence sensors, etc.) designed for use in low EMF environments (i.e., outside) and put them next to tons of much higher power devices (routers, etc.) and expect them to work well. We're almost certainly not getting wired bits back at this point (wireless is good enough and way more convenient).

More realistic suggestion - get a long HDMI cable and move your Apple TV closer to your bike/trainer to reduce the likelihood of interference. Works better if this is dedicated to a pain cave and less so if the TV is in a more normal location.
Quote Reply
Re: 100% Effective Wahoo / Apple TV / Zwift Troubleshooting Guide [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting ready to setup my Wahoo Kicker with a new apple tv and have seen there is a zwift app available. I've always used my mac with the usb ant plugged in and then airplay it on the TV with an older apple tv. Do I still need the usb ant and computer to connect to the new apple tv with the app or does it connect to the app directly from the kicker?? Help!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100% Effective Wahoo / Apple TV / Zwift Troubleshooting Guide [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your kickr will connect to your apple TV direct via bluetooth - if your kickr is new (core or 18) and the firmware is up to date - then it’ll transmit cadence too - connect a bluetooth HRM and you’re away.

Apple TV has a limit of 3 bluetooth devices, so people run into problems - there are various workarounds - but i find them all a little flakey.

With regards the OP - i pretty much always find that when you can’t connect it’s because something else has - my phone usually, although this is less on an issue now a kickr can have multiple bluetooth connections.

Having typed that - i think there are some app update / compatibility issues this week.
Quote Reply
Re: 100% Effective Wahoo / Apple TV / Zwift Troubleshooting Guide [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response, now for my wife, will I need a second apple tv when training side by side and two tv's to run zwift for each of us? We both have wahoo kickers - mine is 2017 and hers is new this year.
Quote Reply