Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Redeeming yourself after a bad race?
Quote | Reply
I think I was ready to go sub-5 hrs at Santa Cruz 70.3 on Sunday, but just had an off day and finished ~5:25. Solid swim, horrible bike (just mentally sort of lost focus due to bike handling issues), and sprained my ankle around mile 8 on the run.

It was supposed to be the last race of my season. I've improved a lot this year, so there is plenty to celebrate, but part of me feels like I need to "redeem" myself before calling it a season. My plan was to take a couple weeks off, then transition to post-season/pre-season.

Do I:
1) Race Santa Cruz Olympic Distance triathlon Sept 22 (14 days after 70.3), which is basically a shorter version of the same course.
2) Race Marin Country Olympic Distance (Oct 14), which would give me a chance to recovery fully from the 70.3 and work in a mini-build block so I'd race in top form.
3) Stick to the plan, call it a season, and start focusing on rebuilding myself for 2020.

The main reason I'm leaning to #3 is because 2020 is going to be a long season and rough year (expected cross-country move in late spring). And I think my wife/family needs a break from my racing. I'm signed up for Oceanside 70.3 in April and plan to do a late-season full IM (likely FL in Nov). My wife is starting to drop hints that she needs a "break" from my racing, which is also important as we all know....

What do you do after a bad "A" race?
Last edited by: wintershade: Sep 11, 19 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming yourself after a bad race? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends on what you need from the experience. Vindication? Proof that all the work paid off? What would success look like for you to feel that you had redeemed yourself?

It sounds to me like you know what went wrong. Ankle was bad luck. What could you change between now and a hypothetical next race that would improve your bike? Do you have the slack (personal/work life) to make those changes?

I think I would be inclined to let it go, and take this knowledge forward into your spring race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an all around crap season (my fault entirely) in 2018. It fueled my fire for training in 2019 and it's been a way better year for me all around. Not that my experience applies to you, though!

If you do decide to register for the Santa Cruz Oly, send me a PM – the race director gave me a friends and family code for $15 off registration. And I’ll see you there! (If this is somehow not allowed, my apologies. FYI I don't earn anything through the code.)

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a week off entirely from training and see where you're at from a physical and mental position. Since its been a long season, you're due a break. If you're itching to get back at it once rested then finish the season with a race of your choice. If not then start planning next season's goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was only planning on one 70.3 this year, but I was trying to break 5 as well earlier in the year and missed it with a 5:13 at Haines City FL.

My redemption hopefully is Augusta 70.3 on 9/29/19. Yes, its a fast course with a fast swim, but it shows a mark of improvement for me as I signed up on a whim for it last year without much specialized training and got a 5:59.

Of course, if I hit my 4:59 goal at Augusta 2019, due to the rule of linear progression, I should be aiming for 3:59 in 2020, as that would only be fitting. :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To truly redeem yourself, I think you have to do another 70.3 and break 5. Maybe La Quinta on 12/8/19 if you still felt the triathlon bug. Or wait until the spring.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Sep 12, 19 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So i have done both your #1 and #2 options (but using different races obviously). Basically after one extremely disappointing A-race, I jumped into another race two weeks later to vindicate myself. The disappointing performance I laid down at that second race was simply unsatisfying and my season ended there with yet more disappointment.

After a different disappointing A-race (a full) I regrouped, and planned for a redemption 70.3 about 8 weeks later. I did reasonably well in the 70.3 but I was still left unsatisfied as that wasn't the real goal.

I have vowed that the next time I come to a late season A-race and end up not doing what I wanted, I will firmly tell myself no redemption. Just go into the off season with a renewed sense of purpose, and smash the off season base work. (Your option #3)

Also if I was your coach, I would suggest option number 3 since my personal experience with the other two options left me completely dissatisfied
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming yourself after a bad race? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks g_lev for sharing your experiences. Super helpful.

After sleeping on this and thinking about it more, I fear I'd end up feeling the same way. Even if I crush one of the two Olympic races with a new PR (options 1/2), would I really feel satisfied? As you said, that was not the goal of the season. The goal this season was to go sub-5 in a 70.3. I don't know if making up some kind of new fake goal will really do much for me, and perhaps compromises my goals for next season (going sub-11 at the full IM distance) by not giving myself enough time to "reboot" between seasons. And what if I don't PR?

I'll give some thought to Indian Wells in Dec, but I think that might make for too long of a season given Oceanside in April, probably Traverse City (with a friend) in Aug, and likely IMFL in Nov. The might just be too much racing....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say 3. But it also depends where you live. I live in New England. We’re running out of daylight and sometimes it’s starting to get cool outside. So when it comes to late season if I’m not doing great I’m done. Concentrate on some areas like weight loss that might lead to short term losses and long term gains. Incorporate new types of strength training, look at technique. I also take this time to do non tri related fitness. Hike, spend one time with my family instead of neglecting them. Watch the Patriots destroy the rest of the NFL..

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think that for YOU and your goals, it would be great to do once of those Oct Oly races, either the Marin Oly, or even the new Oly down in Monterey bay. It'll only take the morning, and you can get a more accurate snapshot of how your fitness has been through this cycle, and you don't have to change up your training any or worry about digging a hole for next year - just do your normal prerace week cycle for the races, and give it a go.

However, the main reason I would seriously consider #3 (bagging it until next year) has 100% to with keeping your wife happy. If she is not going to like you racing this year, you probably should pass as sounds like you'll be pretty knee-deep in training and racing with big goals for next 2020, so it'll be important to keep her on your side.

Still, I think you can pull off the Olys without annoying her - it's only half a day commitment on race day, and you don't need to do any big 3+ hr weekend training sessions that pull you away from home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a similar experience to what you had. Was coming up to my "A" race and from all of my previous training/paces/recent times/performance metrics, I should have nailed my goal, but alas, I fell short for one reason or another. I beat myself up about it for the next 2 days, and was also considering making some redemption race. But I finally talked some sense into myself. For me, I just needed to be honest with myself. Did I try as hard as I could on the day of my A race? Yes. But I fell short. So I took it as a training lesson, and really analyzed what went wrong, and what I could do to make it better. Then I got back into training and started trying to hone in my weaknesses. Good luck in your future.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming yourself after a bad race? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
So i have done both your #1 and #2 options (but using different races obviously). Basically after one extremely disappointing A-race, I jumped into another race two weeks later to vindicate myself. The disappointing performance I laid down at that second race was simply unsatisfying and my season ended there with yet more disappointment.

After a different disappointing A-race (a full) I regrouped, and planned for a redemption 70.3 about 8 weeks later. I did reasonably well in the 70.3 but I was still left unsatisfied as that wasn't the real goal.

I have vowed that the next time I come to a late season A-race and end up not doing what I wanted, I will firmly tell myself no redemption. Just go into the off season with a renewed sense of purpose, and smash the off season base work. (Your option #3)

Also if I was your coach, I would suggest option number 3 since my personal experience with the other two options left me completely dissatisfied

^^^This. It is better IMO to use an upsetting late season A race as motivation to work on building an offseason base and improving whatever needs to be built up in your skill set. Finding a different late season race may not always fill that satisfaction level, and could make things even worse if you don't meet your goals there. Better to end the season still a little hungry since that is going to push you more going forward.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Why do you feel that you need to redeem yourself? If it is your living then find another race.If it is your hobby then hey,shit happens,move on and learn from your experience.

So often triathletes are more concerned about what a performance in a race means to others more than what it means to themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll throw another option out there.

Can you go out and have fun on 1or2 (if your family is up for it?)? Just getting that bad race out of your system and ending the season on a high note is good motivation going into the offseason. And “high” might not mean beating a PR, either. Maybe it’s treating bike as a 40k TT / FTP Test ... or take it easy on bike and seeing if you can dominate the run. Or doing it as a delay with a friend.

Don’t race it for the sheer fact of beating a PR (although you might), but go have some fun. When’s the last time you’ve done that ?

Racing and beating an arbitrary time might feel good for a hot second, but then what? You’ll still be the same guy and you’ll just wonder “could I have gone 4:55 .. Maybe I should try again”

Go have fun :)
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming yourself after a bad race? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

+1. If you like to race and want to--go have fun. I'd do #2, personally.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming yourself after a bad race? [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re in 5hr HIM shape already ... do you really need “another” block to race an Oly “for fun”?

During IM training I used to do an Oly before I’d do my long runs :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been given a gift of a great learning opportunity. Pick #3, write down what you learned from THAT race and the season in general and apply it for next year. You won't learn anything winning a race, but getting second or lower always puts up good learning opportunities.

Be grateful for the season, learn from the season, apply learned lessons into next season and now go take some time off to heal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
525 is a long way from 459.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming yourself after a bad race? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I’ll throw another option out there.

Can you go out and have fun on 1or2 (if your family is up for it?)? Just getting that bad race out of your system and ending the season on a high note is good motivation going into the offseason. And “high” might not mean beating a PR, either. Maybe it’s treating bike as a 40k TT / FTP Test ... or take it easy on bike and seeing if you can dominate the run. Or doing it as a delay with a friend.

Don’t race it for the sheer fact of beating a PR (although you might), but go have some fun. When’s the last time you’ve done that ?

Racing and beating an arbitrary time might feel good for a hot second, but then what? You’ll still be the same guy and you’ll just wonder “could I have gone 4:55 .. Maybe I should try again”

Now this idea I like a lot, especially the “use the bike ride as a 40K TT” and then just have fun on the swim/run park — takes pressure off the overall time and PR impulse. Sets me up to just have some fun with my fitness.

I’ll see how my ankle holds up (it’s still kind of messed up after spraining it) and discuss with my wife and coach.

Sub-5 HIM can wait till Oceanside and I just need to focus on improving bike confidence / handling skills this winter. Might get a MTB or gravel bike for this purpose.
Quote Reply