Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about a cockpit upgrade when I swap my 2018 Cervelo P2 to Ultegra Di2 this off-season and wanted to tap the collective wisdom on pros / cons of the 51 Speedshop Mono-Riser Aerobar versus the TriRig Alpha X

This is what I've got so far, but let me know if I got anything wrong, if there are considerations I missed, or overall experiences / recommendations

Would love any input on the aero impact of 3:1 versus 6:1 base bar airfoils given similar degrees of stack / reach range and tilt as I continue to refine my position. Also looks like the Alpha X allows for a narrower potential pad width?

51 Speedshop Mono-Riser:
  • 65mm of pad stack range / 50mm of pad reach range
  • 113mm of pad stance range (142mm at narrowest measured at pad centers)
  • Min stack height of 82mm
  • Up to 17 degree tilt (12 degrees without tilting base bar)
  • No Di2 Junction Box cavity
  • 3:1 airfoil

• Kamm-Tail design
  • Center-pull brake cable port
  • Radial-shape base bar
  • Better arm cups and extensions?

TriRig Alpha X:
  • 125mm of pad stack range / 52mm of pad reach range

• Pad stack range includes stem spacers, 50mm range with just pad spacers
  • 93mm of pad stance width range (109mm at narrowest measured at pad centers)

• Looks like 221mm narrowest measured at pad outside edge, with cups being 112mm wide
  • Min stack height of 50mm
  • Up to 17.5 degree tilt (all without tilting base bar)
  • Di2 Junction Box cavity
  • 6:1 airfoil (is there a real aero benefit versus 3:1 bars?)

• Kamm-Tail design
  • Center-pull brake cable port
  • Flat base bar

Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [Caddo_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a spec where the 51 speedshop beats the Alpha?

My read is, alpha is:

1. lower min stack, greater adjustment range.
2. Narrower pad spacing (but less adjustment).
3. More tilt range.
5. better airfoil (even if 6:1 isn't "much" better, its still "better").
6. di2 compatible (versus NOT).

The only spec where 51speed seems to win is WIDE pads. So, if you need really wide elbows (??!) go with 51speed, else...Alpha. Also, the 51speedshop uses spacers, instead of the sliding post. So, stack adjustments on the 51speed will be fiddly at a "venue" such as field testing. Again, that might not be a HUGE advantage...but, if you are out Chung'ing that's a nice perk.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like OP was comparing against Alpha X, not Alpha One. Only the latter has the Monopost. They are also very different in terms of price. Just want to point that out for OP or any others reading this thread.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My bad.

I skipped right over the "X", and assumed the OP was comparing both monopost products. I did check the price of both monopost products (but, not the X for the above reason), but didn't mention it since its about the same for either.

So, monopost issue notwithstanding....the X is also $300+ cheaper (based on current website pricing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t forget to add that either TriRig aero bar would be compatible with the Delta cover if you ever were to consider cleaning things up further. Assuming you run an Omega brake.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Looks like OP was comparing against Alpha X, not Alpha One. Only the latter has the Monopost. They are also very different in terms of price. Just want to point that out for OP or any others reading this thread.

I am, thanks. Is my math on the Alpha X minimum pad width (measured from pad centers) correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to be correct! The online fit guides will give you the best answers :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up choosing?
Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [jorgegr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 51 Speed Shop bar and their FSM extensions. Getting it installed on the bike in the next few weeks, but the product looks and feels awesome in the box
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of hoping to hijack this thread now that OP got their new cockpit, but I'm also looking at both.

On the 10th I'll be heading back to my fitter to fine-tune my fit on my new P2, but since that cockpit is garbage IMO and I want to upgrade to Di2, I'm looking at one of the two (51 speedshop or TriRig Alpha One) and I guess I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on what they would do assuming both can comfortable accommodate my fit.

Specifically, what is the build quality like on both of them, and how do they integrate with Di2?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
Specifically, what is the build quality like on both of them, and how do they integrate with Di2?
There's not a ton of extra space, but with no modding and no jamming, we have a 5 port junction box in the stem of the Alpha One on Summer's bike. The Alpha One also provides stack adjustment without being limited to 5mm increments like the 51SS and provides 0-17.5 degrees of tilt vs the 0-12 degrees on the 51SS. Now obviously I'm biased, but I would say go for the alpha one for the previously stated reason but also so you can throw a Delta cover on it if you ever wanted to. Would definitely clean up that front end even more.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a Red Crown Monarch bar? They are the same 51 Speedshop mono bar extension mount but their own base bar with DI2 junction and charger port built in.

http://redcrowncycling.com/...-integrated-aerobar/
Quote Reply
Re: Help: 51 Speedshop or TriRig [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
Kind of hoping to hijack this thread now that OP got their new cockpit, but I'm also looking at both.

On the 10th I'll be heading back to my fitter to fine-tune my fit on my new P2, but since that cockpit is garbage IMO and I want to upgrade to Di2, I'm looking at one of the two (51 speedshop or TriRig Alpha One) and I guess I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on what they would do assuming both can comfortable accommodate my fit.

Thanks in advance!

I have not seen the speed shop up close to compare

I received the Tririg and put it on myself. It was very easy fr me and I don’t do much wrenching. For example I would never try doing bottom brackets, I pay to have things like that done

I also out the delta on it fits nicely

I have approx 10,000 miles on it and still very happy with the purchase. Easy to fiddle with to change angle etc

As for DI2 I don’t know as I have manual shifters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will have to post some pictures once you have it mounted.
Quote Reply