Quote | Reply
I can agree with you on this one.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [mgodu02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgodu02 wrote:
Does Nike make carbon-plated shoes with a heel drop of less than 10mm? I do better in 5-8mm but can't find anyone besides Hoka who makes carbon-plated shoes with that kind of drop. I'm finding that in addition to making you faster, the carbon plates help with my hallux rigidus, but for some reason I can't run fast in the Hokas (no ground feel).

Yes the Next is 8mm

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed the male winner of IM Wales and first two female winners are wearing exact same shoes with color.
WHite Hoka Carbon X. I don't think other podium finishers wearing Carbon X or Next/4 %. I thought it was interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
tilburs wrote:

The evidence is pretty clear if you are running faster than 7:00/ml the benefit of them is there.

Like aerodynamics it’s likely that benefit applies across all paces, not just sub 7.

not so sure about this...

Have you heard anything more? Ie any anecdata? I’ve seen times which don’t reflect anything special at more mortal paces.

Maurice

Anecdotal. I feel like the faster you run the better the shoes feel. Just wearing them around the house feels horrible. Slow jog feels merely bad. But get up to aerobic and tempo and then threshold and they start to pop.

I think they have a sweet spot.

Eric
I was thinking exactly what you are saying after running in both the 4% and Next%. I ran a 70.3 in China earlier this year in the 4% and ran a 1hr 25min my fastest ever 70.3 run at 4:02/km pace average. The response from the shoe and energy return felt amazing. About a month ago I ran Bintan 70.3 in the heat and in a training block and for a lot of the race I was closer to 5:00/km pace. The shoe felt good in that it was a soft ride but it was dead with no energy return. Any section I was faster than that I started to feel the energy return more but nothing like at 4:00/km pace. My leg turn over and biomechanics must have been too slow?

I ran a training run in the Next% 10km at 4:50/km pace and 5km at 4:20/km pace. They definitely have more energy return at a slower pace with the extra rubber in the forefoot feeling good at 4:50 and even better as I wound the pace up. I raced in them at the Sunshine Coast 70.3 a week ago and ran a 1hr 30min at 4:17/km pace. I was in the middle of a big block and the shoe felt great at that pace. I think the shape of the sole being different with the rocker closer to the toe seems to helps too.

I went into China fully tapered so certainly had different legs in my races but as I say the 4% is amazing at pace but gives less than the Next% at a slower pace. I am 83kg or 182 pounds so a bigger athlete and I am sure the shoe will respond differently depending on your weight.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I develop achilis tendon inflamation on my left foot when running on the Vaporfly 4%. No such issues when I go back to my other shoes (Adidas Adios 4).

Anyone else has this problem and found out wether this can be fixed? Would maybe the Next% fix this? Or is it just not our shoe if you have this problem :)
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I actually felt sore in the quads after doing a longish easy run in the 4%. Totally different running mechanics at that pace, and I would have been way better off in my normal feedback giving shoes.

Shambolic wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
tilburs wrote:

The evidence is pretty clear if you are running faster than 7:00/ml the benefit of them is there.

Like aerodynamics it’s likely that benefit applies across all paces, not just sub 7.

not so sure about this...

Have you heard anything more? Ie any anecdata? I’ve seen times which don’t reflect anything special at more mortal paces.

Maurice

Anecdotal. I feel like the faster you run the better the shoes feel. Just wearing them around the house feels horrible. Slow jog feels merely bad. But get up to aerobic and tempo and then threshold and they start to pop.

I think they have a sweet spot.

Eric

I was thinking exactly what you are saying after running in both the 4% and Next%. I ran a 70.3 in China earlier this year in the 4% and ran a 1hr 25min my fastest ever 70.3 run at 4:02/km pace average. The response from the shoe and energy return felt amazing. About a month ago I ran Bintan 70.3 in the heat and in a training block and for a lot of the race I was closer to 5:00/km pace. The shoe felt good in that it was a soft ride but it was dead with no energy return. Any section I was faster than that I started to feel the energy return more but nothing like at 4:00/km pace. My leg turn over and biomechanics must have been too slow?

I ran a training run in the Next% 10km at 4:50/km pace and 5km at 4:20/km pace. They definitely have more energy return at a slower pace with the extra rubber in the forefoot feeling good at 4:50 and even better as I wound the pace up. I raced in them at the Sunshine Coast 70.3 a week ago and ran a 1hr 30min at 4:17/km pace. I was in the middle of a big block and the shoe felt great at that pace. I think the shape of the sole being different with the rocker closer to the toe seems to helps too.

I went into China fully tapered so certainly had different legs in my races but as I say the 4% is amazing at pace but gives less than the Next% at a slower pace. I am 83kg or 182 pounds so a bigger athlete and I am sure the shoe will respond differently depending on your weight.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
Anyone wearing the next% without socks wothout issues?

Jeroen

It won't work. Material is so stiff and harsh, it will cut through your skin and leave terrible blister.
Been there and done that.

I read this thread before my sprint race yesterday and thankfully didn't trust experiences here.
So for what it's worth: Ran the next% without socks and no issues at all. Used baby powder and a little body glide on the heel collar
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof. After 3 races (2 70.3s and a sprint) in my Next%, I'll never go sockless again in them, until I inevitably forget to put them on in transition that is. I've gone sockless since I started triathlon and am willing to accept some blisters and rubbing, but the next% is extreme for me. I'm actually not very comfortable at all in them but I seem to run fast so I'll keep using them until something better comes along.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put your dang socks on before the bike!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Depends on the weather! Probably should though as I'm far more likely to charlie-horse in T2.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

+1... skin is slower. Plus this is why we get made fun of on GCN.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next