Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI
Quote | Reply
Requirements are as follows:

-at least 3.5 miles one way (or a 2.5 mile+ loop)
-as few stoplights and stop signs as possible
-posted speed limit no faster than 45 mph if the road has shoulders of 3 ft or wider; posted speed limit no faster than 35 mph if the road has no shoulders
-as lowly trafficked as possible

A fellow forumite kindly suggested County Highway A, but the downside is that the posted speed limit is 55 mph, which freaks me out a bit.

Is there anything else out there I'm missing? Fwiw, the interactive map provided by Dane County indicates a lot of 55 mph roads as suitable for cycling, but I'm not so sure about that. On the converse, the map indicated roads such as McKees Road and N. Main Street in Verona as unsuitable, but they felt fine to me.

Then again, perhaps my requirement above is too stringent, and if there isn't a stretch of road like this, I guess I'll just suck it up and hammer the miles indoors.

Also, on a grimmer note, I heard that quite a few cyclists lost their lives this year during training, due to inattentive drivers. Anyone happen to know what roads these were?

Many thanks in advance
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 8, 19 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I ride the roads around the IM loop quite a bit. I add in some variations to keep it fresh like taking the back way to Mount Horeb....like Jg and A. While at certain times of the day the roads can be busy, there are cyclist on them quite a bit so my guess is at least people are used to seeing cyclist. Jg and A from Highway G heading into Mount Horeb I don't often see a ton of cars on....depending on the time of day. I also think about the time of day and the flow of traffic and try and avoid roads that people may be taking into work from the country, etc...

Another nice loop with little traffic is the loop out around Blue Mounds. Take Highway ID from Blue Mounds, take a right on K, then take a Right on Mounds Park Road....Nice 10 mile loop with a great climb.

All outdoor riding is risky. I was out on the IM course this am before the race, coming down Shady Oak at >40mph and three deer jumped out in front of me....I thought it was OVER....not sure how but it seemed like time slowed down for a brief few seconds and allowed me to just avoid the deer.

Stay safe
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Personally, I ride the roads around the IM loop quite a bit. I add in some variations to keep it fresh like taking the back way to Mount Horeb....like Jg and A. While at certain times of the day the roads can be busy, there are cyclist on them quite a bit so my guess is at least people are used to seeing cyclist. Jg and A from Highway G heading into Mount Horeb I don't often see a ton of cars on....depending on the time of day. I also think about the time of day and the flow of traffic and try and avoid roads that people may be taking into work from the country, etc...

Another nice loop with little traffic is the loop out around Blue Mounds. Take Highway ID from Blue Mounds, take a right on K, then take a Right on Mounds Park Road....Nice 10 mile loop with a great climb.

All outdoor riding is risky. I was out on the IM course this am before the race, coming down Shady Oak at >40mph and three deer jumped out in front of me....I thought it was OVER....not sure how but it seemed like time slowed down for a brief few seconds and allowed me to just avoid the deer.

Stay safe

I will second the IM loop. It's a good route, sees a lot of cycling traffic - so local drivers are used to it (which doesn't mean all the drivers are courteous, just that it's familiar for them).

I will also second that I have probably had as many near misses with deer as I have had with cars. Once had a deer run out of a corn field about 10 feet to my left in a perpendicular trajectory straight at me. At the last second, he/she turned and ran along side me for a while until slowing and went back into the corn rows. *Whew* There was no way for me to react as I was flying and didn't have much room to maneuver even I had known what would be a safe way to maneuver.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since the default posting is 55 mph by statute in the state, finding roads with lower speeds will mean more stops, more traffic, more inattentive/distracted drivers, more driveways. reason I suggested A was that is is currently not chipsealed and has 4' shoulder and is ~ 4mi end to end stop free. in 2021 it might be a bit less traffic, as the bridge near 92 will be getting replaced that year.(tentatively).

roads are not any worse than the paths, as I got yelled at by an old woman today on one after her 3 sec startled scream. I told her I don't have to call out my passing(based on reaction to noise, definitely not) and that if she just rides she will be fine. why adults ride like they are 4 years old and just learned to ride a bike, I don't know and then lets give them a motor and make them more out of control :)

if you are going to exceed 20 mph, I suggest the roads over the paths(runners, walkers, dogs, oblivious folk, roller skiis, bikes 3 wide going 12 mph, mowers, occasional vehicle) plus at 20mph +, its hard to yell loud enough far enough in advance to be effective.

old sauk pass on the IM course is lower posting, I think, but it is uphill one way, downhill the other, in general.

low traffic road....mounds park road in blue mounds.....less than 3 miles, but timewise, more than equivalent to 4mi flat since it is all uphill. but you have to drive to get there based on your requirements.

for crashes, you can google wisdot crashes and find a fairly decent site that posts crash locations and has flags for various types, it is associates with the TOPs Lab, wisdot crash clearinghouse and has most, but not all the data.

Old Stage, south of Oregon is posted 45, part of former badfish flying 40k, lots of newer smoother pavement. Washington road, CTH B to USH 51 about 3.5 miles not sure if posted less than 55, but low traffic.
Last edited by: jeffp: Sep 8, 19 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is driving your requirements?

Off the top of my head, what’s the speed limit on KP between Cross Plains and Black Earth/ Mazomanie? ‘Rustic roads’ have 45moh speed limits, but likely don’t have shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [markharms234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markharms234 wrote:

Off the top of my head, what’s the speed limit on KP between Cross Plains and Black Earth/ Mazomanie? ‘Rustic roads’ have 45moh speed limits, but likely don’t have shoulders.

Speed limit is 55mph. I ride here all the time, especially doing intervals. Flat and not nearly as well travelled as other roads around the loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the take on riding on Northern Light down toward Verona and then looping back via Country View? The former is rated for 35 mph, have newly-paved tarmac + shoulder; the latter is rated for 35 mph and has barely any traffic. Only sketchy part seems to be the short section of County Route PD. Would appear at first glance to be a decent option on weekends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
what is the take on riding on Northern Light down toward Verona and then looping back via Country View? The former is rated for 35 mph, have newly-paved tarmac + shoulder; the latter is rated for 35 mph and has barely any traffic. Only sketchy part seems to be the short section of County Route PD. Would appear at first glance to be a decent option on weekends.

Are you talking riding Shady Oak to PD to Northern Lights? If so, that amount of time on PD is fine. If you are thinking about riding PD for any other length of time, I don't recommend it. there is a lot of construction coming from Fitchburg and the other direction the road is a total wreck. Shoulder if full of pot holes and drivers are going at least 55mph. Northern Lights is ok, but during certain times of the day, Epic traffic is high.

Another option is Timber, slight jog on PD to White Crossing to Dairy Ridge Road. There are a few stop signs, but not much traffic. This meets up with Hwy G.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bridge on pd just west of shady oak will be replaced soon so you will need an alternative for a couple weeks. Short duration as replacement is an aluminum box culvert and not a concrete structure. I cant recall what date we are doing that.

Try timber ln to paulson to J to maurer back to timber
Last edited by: jeffp: Sep 19, 19 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this back up

I've done most of my training on my trainer since moving to Madison, but yesterday I went out for my first actual road ride (my own definition being one where most of the miles weren't on a trail) in three years. I have to say that I really liked the section of Timber Road going west, and that really flat and smooth section of Stagecoach was also quite nice (wish it were a few miles longer).

This got me itching for riding outdoors again (especially on the TT bike). While looking around (and keeping JeffP's advice in mind), I cam across the somewhat aptly named County Road TT that's right off of County Road N (by the Oaks Golf Course). Could someone comment on traffic volume of the roads around here?

My guess is that my requirements are probably a bit too stringent (I was pampered when I lived in DC, when I had a nice 3-mile park loop); if that's the case, I think I'll just keep on grinding the time away on my trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly go over to N+1/Rocket Bicycle Studio in Verona and talk to Peter and Jessica. They know all the roads on/around the SW side of town on/near the IMWI Loop. Plus pre-ride coffee and post-ride beer.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Aug 24, 20 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Bumping this back up
...<snip>...
My guess is that my requirements are probably a bit too stringent (I was pampered when I lived in DC, when I had a nice 3-mile park loop); if that's the case, I think I'll just keep on grinding the time away on my trainer.

Are you amenable to the paved bike trails around Madison? I ask because of your mention of the DC park loop.

If your primary motivation is uninterrupted (traffic lights and crossing), car-free riding, the main biking trails in the Madison area are pretty good - Capitol City Trail, Badger State Trail, Cannonball, Military Ridge, etc... Granted, you do often have to dodge other bikers and pedestrians, but I find the riding pretty good (unless you're looking to do super fast riding).
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Honestly go over to N+1/Rocket Bicycle Studio in Verona and talk to Peter and Jessica. They know all the roads on/around the SW side of town on/near the IMWI Loop. Plus pre-ride coffee and post-ride beer.

Thanks for the suggestion. When this pandemic is over, I'll check it out (a bit skittish about eating out these days unless necessary)

tanzbodeli wrote:
echappist wrote:
Bumping this back up
...<snip>...

Are you amenable to the paved bike trails around Madison? I ask because of your mention of the DC park loop.

If your primary motivation is uninterrupted (traffic lights and crossing), car-free riding, the main biking trails in the Madison area are pretty good - Capitol City Trail, Badger State Trail, Cannonball, Military Ridge, etc... Granted, you do often have to dodge other bikers and pedestrians, but I find the riding pretty good (unless you're looking to do super fast riding).

Well, during the winter, I was riding fast on those paved trails (not advisable for now, and come to think of it, probably not advisable then either)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their procedures are great, and they have a huge lawn with great spacing on seating, but I totally get being cautious.

Whether you go in or not, it's still a good place to start a ride, IMHO. If you do gravel, it's right off the Military Ridge trail that goes all the way to Dodgeville, or you can go south to Paoli or New Glarus.

Cheers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic campus circuit early on a weekend-- don't do this during the work week for obvious reasons
https://www.strava.com/segments/25328067
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Epic campus circuit early on a weekend-- don't do this during the work week for obvious reasons
https://www.strava.com/segments/25328067

Are we actually allowed to do this? I mean, I have ridden through the campus, but never did laps. Then again, it's a punchy course and may not be the most suitable for the TT bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The campus is open on weekends. My kids love swimming and wading through the creeks and fountains, and exploring every nook and cranny, feeding the animals and playing in the wizard's alley and train station...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Bumping this back up

I've done most of my training on my trainer since moving to Madison, but yesterday I went out for my first actual road ride (my own definition being one where most of the miles weren't on a trail) in three years. I have to say that I really liked the section of Timber Road going west, and that really flat and smooth section of Stagecoach was also quite nice (wish it were a few miles longer).

This got me itching for riding outdoors again (especially on the TT bike). While looking around (and keeping JeffP's advice in mind), I cam across the somewhat aptly named County Road TT that's right off of County Road N (by the Oaks Golf Course). Could someone comment on traffic volume of the roads around here?

Why does having a 3-mile park loop equate to being pampered? I can imagine if that was the case it would be filled with accidents waiting to happen plus there is no change of scenery. Madison roads are awesome and are a gift for people that don't realize it. Go to nearly any part of the country and you won't have this. I highly encourage you to think rationally about all the risks. Indoor air quality btw is also terrible for your lungs in most homes and this is some of the best time of the year to ride + you get some vitamin D. Go out and really explore. Ride to New Glarus. I think you will really enjoy it. Of course there is a bad apple or two out there driving but most of riding outside is driven by irrational fear.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are there roads that meet the following requirements in Madison, WI [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
The campus is open on weekends. My kids love swimming and wading through the creeks and fountains, and exploring every nook and cranny, feeding the animals and playing in the wizard's alley and train station...

that's wonderful :) (and I mean it sincerely)

Unfortunately, Epic (and by Epic, I mean its founder) treats its employees like shit. Lure naive, guileless recent grads with a campus that could be a theme park and then put them under horrible working condition. I hope there isn't a Hansel and Gretel set-up on that campus, as that would be hugely ironic.

At least someone can actually take advantage of exploring its campus; surely the rank-and-file employees are too knackered to do so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I agree, and yes Hansel and Gretel have a cottage on the campus... It is wasteful urban sprawl beyond all conceivable imagination. What happens when the bubble pops and they don't need 10,000 people anymore? No one is going to want a Shed themed building, or Space, or Willy Wonka, or a 15,000 seat auditorium, etc. I hate the idea of it, but, since it's basically in my backyard, we take advantage of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SSMinnow wrote:
markharms234 wrote:

Speed limit is 55mph. I ride here all the time, especially doing intervals. Flat and not nearly as well travelled as other roads around the loop.

The past few days, I actually just drove around to scout out the various roads I'm considering. Was on Mineral Point then County S to Mt. Horeb the other day. Yesterday, it was KP. Actually saw quite a few people there. I think the speed limit is 55. Looked slightly dicey (at least compared to that really nice mile-long section of Stage Coach).

Do you ride both your road and TT bikes on KP?

I think in lower traffic conditions (weekend mornings and say 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays), I think I'd fine with KP on my road bike. Not sure if I'd want to chance things with a 2ft shoulder on my TT bike though. I did see one guy on his TT bike yesterday afternoon, and he was going at a decent pace. I guess we all have different risk tolerances.

------------------------------------------

Also, does anyone here ride on Route 78 (btwn Black Earth and Mt. Horeb) or County Route P (btwn Pine Bluff and Cross Plains)? Trying to string together routes I could use for a loop
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 4, 20 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out fritz from Schaller down to Co A. Rode it the other day, checks most your boxes. Hop over at the end fritz to argue rd at hwy 69 and get down to new glarus, Once you are there, in green county, the world is your oyster.

Range road from sunset rd down to Paoli as well. Pretty easy to make a loop including sun valley, Badger state trail bike path, ridge road from Verona.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Sep 5, 20 17:58
Quote Reply