Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
mvenneta wrote:

I bet If you look back 3ish years on ST, we’d have threads on how bad triathletes are at bike handling

An interesting thing I think I'm taking away from this is that on the whole, the actual bike handling and descending skills of the riders in this race (which admittedly represent the top 1.5-3% of triathletes) were actually very good. I think where a minority falls flat (and it doesn't take many to wreak a lot of havoc) is in their decision making - particularly decisions as they relate to descending in groups.

The bold is really what my beef with this course was. The bike course itself was beautiful, and challenging. I thought the course itself was great. I would have preferred an aero road bike for it, since I was not on my aerobars for basically the entire time we were climbing or descending, but that's just for personal comfort rather than a handling issue. The course was *just* technical enough that you needed to keep your head about you coming down, but it wasn't crazy or anything. My biggest fear was someone making a dumb decision behind me and taking me out. I saw too much stupidity going on while descending. I was uncomfortable not with my own skills, which I think are pretty decent, but with everyone around me making bad moves.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
For sure there were lots of violations. But I do not think I saw anything that was an attempt to take unfair advantage. The variability in the speeds people were comfortable descending at, combined with the difficulty in passing safely meant people bunched up until they could pass. Generally it meant people were going slower than they would go if they were riding alone, not faster.

FWIW, at the penalty tent at the top of the climb, there were at least 15 guys packed into (around) it when I rode by.

If you cut the field in half, would that alleviate the bunching on a course like that?

I think it would.

I think they tried pretty hard to spread things out, given how big the field was. They started 10 athletes every 15 seconds for each wave. 15 minutes between the start of each wave. For the bigger waves that means essentially no time between the back of one and the start of the next. I think it took about 2 hours to get everyone started - about 3500 people.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I’m glad you’re doing well , considering.

Body feeling better?

So got the MRI results today. 5 pelvic fractures, spanning both sides of the pelvis. Bone bruise on the right ball of the femur and a small labral tear.

In 8-12 weeks I should be good as new.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geeeezzz!!
So sorry man.
Prior to race day I was cursing being in the last wave. After reading thru a bunch of the bike reviews on here........ glad to have been in the last wave and stayed on two wheels (even if my time did suck)!
* I’ll stick with blaming that on the heat & stronger headwind of later afternoon! 😉😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ouch

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry Ed was injured

With respect to recourse, what a statute says in France and getting recourse to it are two very different things.

If Ed is here, he can report it, but is any energy going to be expended in focusing on it here? In my experience no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.... Time to just hit the big 'RESET' button !

Take care and rest up.

db
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick update- I've been running and biking for about a month and all is good with the pelvis. The shoulder injury turned out to actually be a torn rotator cuff (supraspinatus) and I've been doing pt for it for 6 weeks or so. Great news today- I've been cleared to swim! Alternating kick/swim by 25, no more than 500 total. After months of no improvement, the last two weeks it has gotten a lot better!

I can still feel the rib sometimes but nothing terrible.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear!
Thanks for the update and glad you are on the mend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats great news Ed, just in time for the 100/100!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Just a quick update- I've been running and biking for about a month and all is good with the pelvis. The shoulder injury turned out to actually be a torn rotator cuff (supraspinatus) and I've been doing pt for it for 6 weeks or so. Great news today- I've been cleared to swim! Alternating kick/swim by 25, no more than 500 total. After months of no improvement, the last two weeks it has gotten a lot better!

I can still feel the rib sometimes but nothing terrible.

Hey this is super news. I was wondering if you can use the concept2 as part of your rehab. When I was run over last year by a school bus and my arm with minced meet, I was able to use the concept2 long before I could swim (I was doing legs only sets at first once my leg was better).

My family may kill me if I threaten to do the Hawaii 70.3 but you COULD see me out there with you next May especially if I close a biz deal there!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see you there. Close that deal!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh i'm definitely not a 100/100 guy...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
oh i'm definitely not a 100/100 guy...

Well maybe go for 75/100 which I think is optimal during a tri build especially if you live somewhere that you can ride outdoors all winter. Hey, my employees are going to accuse me of trying to do deals everywhere that I want to do a 70.3. I am in Dubai in 10 days to try to build biz there and then back in 9 weeks to do the 70.3 and we have a proposal on a project over at the big Island.....so where else do I need to do a 70.3 and have an excuse to do biz haha (I was joking with Rob Gray that i am the only idiot to start an entire tech startup just to have an excuse to go to places where there are cool tri things to did LOL).

In any case, let's both get over our injuries and if 70.3 Hawaii does not sell out after I have Dubai done and assuming our proposal to the Big Island customer has legs, then maybe the stars align.

In any case hopefully by May both you and Chris Froome (another shattered pelvis guy) are in full form.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Positive news! I hope you have a full recovery and great 2020 season.
Quote Reply

Prev Next