Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What late spring/early summer 70.3 to do
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

With one race left in my season, the focus shifts to planning next years. As the weather doesn’t start to turn here until at least April I’m looking at a late May - early July date for my first 70.3 of the season.
Any advice you could give on the races listed below would be very helpful in planning our trip. Pros, cons, things do to, condition of the course, camping availability etc.
A little background:
From southern Ontario, Canada.
Will be traveling with my wife and 7 year old daughter as we turn the trip into a family vacation after. We tow our 5th wheel and camp along the way. The first 4 days of the trip are for me and then it’s all about the girls.
Have already done Chattanooga and Muncie and don’t really want to drive further than 12 hours.

The races I’ve been considering are as follows:
Connecticut - May 31
Virginia - June 7
Eagleman - June 14
Steelhead - June 28

Not looking to PR or anything like that, I’m doing 2 half’s in 2020 to help me nail down my nutrition for a 2021 full.

Thanks for all your help

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: What late spring/early summer 70.3 to do [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say Victoria, but that is a bit out of your 12 hour radius from Ontario! Its a great course though, and Victoria/Vancouver Island is a great place for a family camping trip!

And Victoria is typically the first weekend of June, which meets your timeline too.
Quote Reply
Re: What late spring/early summer 70.3 to do [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if we're going to suggest a cross country rather than few hours trip, then I have to put a plug in for IM CDA 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steelhead, no question. You might even PR!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What late spring/early summer 70.3 to do [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eagleman is a superfast course (assuming it's not windy) but as that doesn't matter I would cross that off your list. It's held in a pretty small town with not much to do and the nearest city Baltimore, is not somewhere that I would choose to go for a family vacation.

Not an expert on the area, there may be things to do that I don't know about, but thats my 2 cents

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Re: What late spring/early summer 70.3 to do [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions so far. We will make it out to the west coast but that’s a few years away still.
I will probably cross Eagleman off the list. I’ve heard the swim is 50/50 being canceled anyways.
Keep the reply’s coming. I appreciate it.

Quinner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it doesn't have to be a branded race.

The Kinetic Half in Virginia is a good one. Kinetic always does a good job.

Tupper Lake in New York

The Patriot Half in Massachusetts

Ironman 70.3 Geneva (Musselman)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rev3 Williamsburg was recently announced in late June. Use to be a good race and lots to do for the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for Virginia in June. But I'm biased because it's literally in my back yard and will be my first 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman ct 70.3. I’m biased because I live in CT and like to climb. It’s held at quassy amusement park... great fun for the kids. Super clean lake swim and If you like to climb while you ride and run this race is for you.
Quote Reply