Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks"
Quote | Reply
Purchased a Xlabs Torpedo Versa 200 and it worked great! But....the straw got pretty funky so I threw it away and bought some tubing of the exact same diameter (I forget what it was dimension wise), the only difference is that the original straw is a little thicker vs what I bought at Home Depot. I cut it such that it goes about half way along the bottom of the container. It works great.....until you drink all of the liquid that's in the "straw", then it's a 50/50 mix of water and air. If I then pull the tube up just a fraction...it's great again for just a bit and then it's the same.

IMWI this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.....OR......I'd be just as comfortable with a water bottle between my aero bars, but I tried that in the past and the water and Gatorade that they give you at IM events doesn't fit and I'm constantly catching them before they fall out. So my questions are 2 fold....

1) what can I do to fix the existing "straw"

2) what is a good cage that will hold the diameter of bottles that IM uses?

If I can't get 1 to work, I'm reverting to 2. :-)

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look inside, your straw should just touch the bottom right below the hole where the straw enters. I have original bottle and straw and they work just fine. If you keep the straw inside of the bottle too long, your bottle is half full but you won’t get any water when you suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My torpedo 200 is on an angel because of my bars

I stuff the straw all the way down to the bottom(end). No problems
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same struggles here, even with the bottle tilted. Straw ends up curving up off the bottom, and you can't get much liquid, if any, (depending how full it was to start with) before you start sucking air. Wish there was a loop molded in the bottom to retain the straw end.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This probably won’t help you now, but this is the direct replacement tubing for the Torpedo. (I tried that crappy Home Depot substitute tubing also.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0GWNXU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the correct title of your post should be "Cheap Home Depot replacement straw sucks". Clean your bottles and straw and they won't get funky.
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Same struggles here, even with the bottle tilted. Straw ends up curving up off the bottom, and you can't get much liquid, if any, (depending how full it was to start with) before you start sucking air. Wish there was a loop molded in the bottom to retain the straw end.

Use a lighter, heat it up and bend it as you need. It should work.
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dross wrote:
So the correct title of your post should be "Cheap Home Depot replacement straw sucks". Clean your bottles and straw and they won't get funky.
+1!
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If original straw worked great, you can buy so called ‘Reload kit’. It contains a straw and misc plastic parts except the bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear the straw getting funky - Camelbak has a nice bottle brushing kit with a tubing brush that I always recommend for cleaning. A good soak & shaking in some warm (not hot) water with Dawn soap is also good after a ride or race.

Were you experiencing the curling affect with the Torpedo Straw or was that just the other tubing you purchased?

We do offer a couple solutions as far as replacing your straw so you can still retain the bite valve (avoiding the sucking of air) if it gets to the point you don't want to drink out of it again! We have the straws available as a spare part, Refresh Kit (straw and some bottle accessories), Reload Kit (bottle & all of its accessories including straw).

Normally PlayTri is our retailer at IRONMAN expos, but looks like it is Trek so I can't guarantee they will have the spares there at the event unfortunately.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
Sorry to hear the straw getting funky - Camelbak has a nice bottle brushing kit with a tubing brush that I always recommend for cleaning. A good soak & shaking in some warm (not hot) water with Dawn soap is also good after a ride or race.

Were you experiencing the curling affect with the Torpedo Straw or was that just the other tubing you purchased?

We do offer a couple solutions as far as replacing your straw so you can still retain the bite valve (avoiding the sucking of air) if it gets to the point you don't want to drink out of it again! We have the straws available as a spare part, Refresh Kit (straw and some bottle accessories), Reload Kit (bottle & all of its accessories including straw).

Normally PlayTri is our retailer at IRONMAN expos, but looks like it is Trek so I can't guarantee they will have the spares there at the event unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies! I ended up ordering the reload kit as that could get to me on Saturday (Thank you Amazon Prime). I tried to clean the original straw w/out buying one of those brushing kits (have since done so), but just couldn't get it clean enough and figured that buying some additional tubing would be just as good. Hopefully that's just a $35 lesson learned :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah ok perfect - well at least you are sorted for the race! Have a good one this weekend! And if you need anything feel free to PM me on here :)

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, since aim setting up my new bike i need, please, the torpedo bottle itself measures. I cant find them. Is it possbile?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [kdx200] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Front end to end the Torpedo bottle measures 10.5". At its widest it is about 2.75" wide (this is where the airflow straighteners start on the bottle as they taper down towards the end of the bottle).

Let me know if you need anything else!

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can be tricky, but you can do it. First, figure out the correct length of straw for you by pulling or pushing the straw in and out of the hole. Don't cut the straw yet. Ride your bike, use the bottle to confirm the length is good. After that, cut the tube this way in attached pic, so it will seat at the bottom nicely. If you don't do this, you will have water in the bottle, but you can't drink it ending up carrying extra weight. I've been using my Torpedo bottle for 4 years now and absolutely love it. To me, it's the best, lightest, most compact and convenient BTA bottle you can find if you set it up correctly. As you can see, support from Candice - XLAB is great too.
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The torpedo lives up to its name. It has launched 3 times on me whilst going downhill. Third time the bottle broke. Have now reverted to using a regular bottle in the cage but seem to need to use a rubber band or something to stop that launching also.
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you using the cage that was designed with it in mind? I've had that cage and bottle for 2 or so years, ridden it on some pretty rough roads, and it has never launched.
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes trimike...it has launched twice going 70kph plus going downhill, which is quite dangerous imo. Has happened when I’ve kinda been going around very slight bend. On New Zealand roads which are a rough chip seal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...that hasn't been my experience with that product at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Xlabs Torpedo straw "sucks" [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. No launches, and I use a carbon Profile cage that isn't especially grippy (since I don't use the torpedo if there are bottle handups, and want to be able to insert/remove the bottle w/o creating any steering input).

Easy enough to secure the torpedo with a quick wrap of gaffers tape, just for security...but I've never even had the torped slip in the cage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find a non split cage better for securing the BTA and this one in particular you wont launch any bottles and fits the Xlab nicely.

https://www.wiggle.com.au/...yEAQYASABEgJq4vD_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
The torpedo lives up to its name. It has launched 3 times on me whilst going downhill. Third time the bottle broke. Have now reverted to using a regular bottle in the cage but seem to need to use a rubber band or something to stop that launching also.

I know why because mine used to do that too. Your cage is getting lose. Hold center area together in the front with your fingers(wear gloves) and heat up the back side slowly with a heat gun. It can get really hot so be careful. Once they close up, pour the cold water and that should do the job. By the way, I use this cage that comes with the Torpedo bottle, not the Gorilla cage.

https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/5750
Last edited by: s13tx: Feb 24, 20 15:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

This is how it looks when it's done. Cage becomes very tight and it will hold the bottle securely.
It never launches again.
Last edited by: s13tx: Feb 25, 20 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I am just seeing this. Happy to look at your setup and see if I can spot anything that it would cause to lunch.

The most prevalent thing we see is a spacer missing on the rear cage screw.

Again happy to look and get this resolved and would be covered under warranty as well.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply