Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phlex EDGEEDGE Rollout Update #3

Hi Phlex Family!

Here is our third update since launching the EDGE with plenty of news including EDGE delivery updates, improvements, and much more.

Now let's get into it.

Manufacturing Update

As we work to get our units out to you as quickly as possible, we want to reiterate how diligent we are going about the safety, design, and longevity of the EDGE. In our most recent batch being sent out, we found signs of weakness in the plastic that were not compliant with our set tolerance for the manufacturing process. Such issue could lead to water damage over time, so once identified, we placed a 2 week hold on our factory in order to implement changes to ensure proper tolerance. As you launch a new product into the market, quality control is the most crucial step, as that will dictate how your brand is perceived. We want to make sure our early backers are not receiving product that is below the Phlex brand standards.

We are happy to say now these changes have been completed, we are spending the remainder of this and next week testing those fixes, and our next batch will be going out starting in October

Early Backers

While our Indiegogo crowdfunding rollout continues, we are currently sitting at 30% delivery of the list. The past few batches have brought up more insight into the following concerns.

Which shipping provider we want to stick with

The timeliness of shipping from the moment it leaves our warehouse

How easy it is to setup the EDGE for the first time

Ease of use in swimming a workout and syncing

We have received plenty of emails in the past 2 weeks and just want everyone to know that your EDGE will be arriving soon. We would like to reiterate that we are taking every precaution possible to make sure that the EDGE is as perfect as we dreamt it from the beginning. 

Future Shipping Status

For our EDGE pre orders from the states, we are working around the clock to reach out on an individual basis to make the experience of receiving your EDGE as enjoyable as possible. This has meant spending time taking video conference calls with customers to introduce them to the EDGE, help with setup, and answer any current questions regarding functionality and future improvements.

If you are a preorder customer from outside of the US, we please ask that you are extra patient with our delivery schedule as dealing with foreign customs and VAT has proven to be a difficulty in the past. We will reach out on an individual basis to various international customers to confirm your current address and that the country being shipped to has no issues when it comes to importing EDGEs.

In the interest of sharing how this process has been going with everyone, we would like to highlight happy Phlex customers. For those that have already received your EDGE, please feel free to send us a photo using your EDGE to contactus@phlexswim.com.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good swim on the tiki Steve, That Blatt guy is really good, so no shame in losing to him. And the guy that got 3rd is also a big time swimmer in our AG, so putting him down shows you all 3 had a great swim. Sorry about the wrong direction, that is a tough one, when you know what your are supposed to do, and someone out there tells you something different. Take it Blatt wasn't in your group at the time??

Anyway, getting pumped for our big race this weekend, got a bit tired after todays swim, so gonna do a mini taper the rest of the week, and just run and bike most days.Hoping for big surf!! Did this at the high desert pool;

5x100s@1;40(1;22/21/20/20/19)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;52/49)
2x(500p@7;00/200 flutter@4;30)--6;18/3;41/6;18/3;44
300p(3;49)100 dolphin(1;59)
100s/2x50 buoy(39's)
3000SCY

Whats the water temp anyway, seems to be all over the place this summer. Hopefully wont cook in our wetties!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Good swim on the tiki Steve, That Blatt guy is really good, so no shame in losing to him. And the guy that got 3rd is also a big time swimmer in our AG, so putting him down shows you all 3 had a great swim. Sorry about the wrong direction, that is a tough one, when you know what your are supposed to do, and someone out there tells you something different. Take it Blatt wasn't in your group at the time??
Whats the water temp anyway, seems to be all over the place this summer. Hopefully wont cook in our wetties!
Blatt wasn’t in my group as far as I know. I passed most of my group by swimming a better line in the harbor, very close to the rocks.
Water temp has been holding at 70, pretty much. Yeah, I’m worried about overheating but think I can withstand 20 some minutes, twice, ok. I have a Huub wettie, but the Velcro neck closure is shot. It’s a much cooler suit than the T1.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll do a review when I finally get mine ...

Wonder if any of the bigger sports tech companies are going to try to buy them up in a year or 2.

IMO Form goggles did their polar HR integration to not lose business to Phelx. I like the idea of the Form HUD in practice but locking in to a specific pair of goggles is a non starter. Phelx can do vibration so it probably can get a software update down the line to be used for pacing instead of just HR zones.

Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what would be awesome from phlex is if they have a real-time upload to a device (e.g. phone or ipad) that could be put on deck to display data. e.g. time / splits / stroke count / HR from the last repeat as you touch the wall. I don't think it can do that now, likely some technical hurdles to overcome.

I like the "idea" of the form goggles, but I can't get past it being tied into a piece of essentially disposable equipment. Now, if they had a "swedes" version, that could be appealing to me....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to have an older phone in a water proof case to see if it will synch a session in progress. Triton does this for the coaches

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.5 mi run, 1325 yd swim

13 x 100 first 8 on 1:30, then 5 on 1:25
25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally broke down and got a GPS watch, I swim mostly open water so other than race times where I don't really know the true distance I had no idea how fast I was swimming. Anyway it was a perfect morning to head out to the beaches and swim parallel to the shore for at least 1.2 miles. The current was imperceptible and it was like a millpond early in the morning. I managed to do the distance at a 1:36 per 100 yds pace at an easy tempo which is faster than my estimated race times (1:40) The GPS distance matches up with the online map program so I think it's fairly realistic. I'm pretty stoked because that would at least get me out of the water in front of my 65-69 AG buddies who will crush me on the bike!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little change up and hit the pool this morning.
3500 yards
500s
500kwf alt front & back free/dolphin
2x250p
50/100/150/200/200/150/100/50 on :45 base :34/1:16/unk/2:32/2:31/unk/1:14/:36
12x50@1:00 choice (IM order) down, free back
400kwf ez

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These 60+ ex Olympians seem to keep their innate feel for the water and with some good training stay very fast for their age. Although, I did see that Brian Goodell swam 400m free in US Masters nationals in 5:29, which is about 42% slower than his gold medal times. As a 62 year old, I’m aiming for +30% from my best swim times done in the late 1970s.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing your taper in the pool there, Hugh Steve? I was wiped out yesterday, so did a rare run this morning, and decided I had exactly 28 minutes to swim before dad lunch day with my kid..I put on the pull gear and did a slow start 2000, descending slowly and steady:

2000pull (26;28---6;47/6;39/6;34/6;28) about 115 HR
50swim
2050SCY in 28 minutes!!

Starting to feel fresh for this weekends races, couple more ocean swims I think and I will be ready to rock!! Team Toys R Us baby...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again mostly aerobic today, but this time with a bit of sprinting mixed in:

2600 SCM in 56:48

Warmup (1200)
300 swim (fins)
2x150 kick
300 pb, pd, band (5:21)
3x100 swim desc. @2:20 (2:00, 1:55, 1:47)

Main set (1400)
200 pb, pd @4:10
100 swim (25 fast 75 easy) @2:10

The 200 pull were around 3:40 and the 25 fast around 20s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.5 mi easy run, 775 yd swim, some strength exercises

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.2 mi run w/ 2 mi @ 6.3 mph and 4 mi @ 6.4 mph
1225 yd swim (12 x 100 on 1:35 then 25 kick c/d)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last one for Sept. SCY
1200 free in 16:30
6x 200 alt IM/stroke on 3:30 IMs (2:56-8)
2x150, 2x100, 2x50 all pull alt free/back on 1:30 base for free, 1:40 for back
8x25 stroke on 40 (17-22)
100 warm down/drill
3500 yards
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday's swim, 2700scm in 58'
400 swim (fins)
300 kick (snorkel, fins, board)
300 pull (snorkel, pb, band)
3x100 swim des @2:20

5 x 100 kick w/fins @2:00 (fly on the back, backstroke, fly, freestyle )

3 x [200 pull (pd, pb) @4:00 + 100 swim @2:10]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.6 mi run with 1.6 miles of it a little faster than I've been running lately.
925 yd swim (700 swim / 25 kick / 200 swim)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next month when I turn 54 I am planning to do 1x200IM + 13x400IM as the set on my birthday. A few times this week I did 4-5 x 400IM taking as much rest as I want before the next one.

Today I decided to do it for time to figure out what "target time" I want to aim for. So basically I was doing my 100 fly in 1:45-1:48, 100 back in 1:58 to 2:00, 100 breast in 2:06-2:10 (I know its bad, I don't really get much out of my bad nerve leg) and 100 free in 1:40-1:44. Generally depending on which legs I took hard or easier, I was coming in at 7:31 - 7:34. My departure time was 8:15. It was a steady effort. The total set time was 40:31.

To get to 13 of them, I think the first half 8:15 send off time is fine, but 8:30 for the second half. Based on this, the entire workout should take in the range of 1:52/1:53.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 40.5 mi bike
today 6.9 mi run + 725 yd swim

total for September 21,500 yds

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in one last one for Sept. SCY
300S/200K/300P
Main set;
3x200 on 3:00 (2;36-39)
3x150 on 2:15 (1:57-9)
3x100 on 1:30 (1:18s)
3x50 on 45 (37-8)

4x50K on 1:15 IM
2x200P on 3:00 (2;29, 34)
2x150P on 2:15 (1:53, 54)
2x100P on 1:30 (1:15’s)
2x50P on 45(37s)
100 warm down
3500 total
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last day of Sep, Main set

set was 16x100 SCM on 2:15 minutes

odds = 50 fly-50 back
evens = 50 breast-50 free

Basically it works out to 8x200IM broken up with extra rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got 62nd birthday next month so thinking of a 6.2K Swim 62K bike and 6.2K run, but that’s a lot of swimming for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a kind of medium recovery day today, got in two very long miles in the La Jolla relay. Me, Halfspeed, and the fastest swimmer from triathlon nationals(in the 60+) were on a team with a couple other locals. We dominated, it was moved to a surf beach, and Mother Nature obliged!!! 12ft Greece waves!!(3 to 5 ft CA waves)..

19x100s@1;40(1;23 to 1;20) sim shorts( mine blew up)
6x100 IM kick@2;05(1;56's)
5x100p@1;30 easy(1;20/18)
3000SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to you and the relay team. Sounds like a really fun event and pretty impressive to see 60+ guys taking it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:
I’ve got 62nd birthday next month so thinking of a 6.2K Swim 62K bike and 6.2K run, but that’s a lot of swimming for me.

This would be 5 hrs plus training day! Do it! You could make it 62 miles for the bike and 6.2mile run too.....on top of the 6.2 swim (choose metric or imperial)
Quote Reply

Prev Next