Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Tacx Neo Firmware 0.0.27
Quote | Reply
Anyone figured out what “Garmin edge compatibility” in the change-log means? They’ve added L/R balance in ANT+, but that has not specific to Edge. I’ve added some other metrics on an Edge 530 (torque,smoothness, PP, PPP). and they remain blank.

Edge 530 is up to date.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Firmware 0.0.27 [Eerke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eerke wrote:
Anyone figured out what “Garmin edge compatibility” in the change-log means? They’ve added L/R balance in ANT+, but that has not specific to Edge. I’ve added some other metrics on an Edge 530 (torque,smoothness, PP, PPP). and they remain blank.

Edge 530 is up to date.

Some more detail here: https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/...left-power-data-8741
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Firmware 0.0.27 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’m still confused. They have “PP” fields at the bottom of the 3 photos, but in every case it says “___-___”. Then in the screenshots it shows analysis of L:R balance. I’m not clear if they got more than L:R balance to work or explain what specific features are available on Garmin Edge devices that aren’t available on other manufacturer devices. The change log suggests some, but what are they… and how are they enabled…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eerke wrote:
Thanks. I’m still confused. They have “PP” fields at the bottom of the 3 photos, but in every case it says “___-___”. Then in the screenshots it shows analysis of L:R balance. I’m not clear if they got more than L:R balance to work or explain what specific features are available on Garmin Edge devices that aren’t available on other manufacturer devices. The change log suggests some, but what are they… and how are they enabled…

I think the screen is Garmin's "cycling dynamics" screen. PP is Power Phase, not L/R Power. The top section where it says Power Phase with show on the circle where your power phase starts and finishes during the pedal stroke and the number in the middle of the circles is your L/R power. Not really the most intuitive graphics!
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Firmware 0.0.27 [greasdupdeafguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Had to look up the acronyms and have already forgotten what some mean.

It’s not understanding where I’m stuck though, but well before. I can’t get any to display at all, just the old standard L/R balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eerke wrote:
Agreed. Had to look up the acronyms and have already forgotten what some mean.

It’s not understanding where I’m stuck though, but well before. I can’t get any to display at all, just the old standard L/R balance.

They're Garmin cycling dynamics, you only get those with garmin vector pedals and some of them with favero assiomas I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Tacx update changelog for the Neo2 says:
“Garmin Edge compatability”

I just don’t know what that means. I guessed it was some sort of pedal stroke stuff using private communication between two Garmin arms.

If it’s not pedal stroke dynamics what is it…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eerke wrote:
The Tacx update changelog for the Neo2 says:
“Garmin Edge compatability”

I just don’t know what that means. I guessed it was some sort of pedal stroke stuff using private communication between two Garmin arms.

If it’s not pedal stroke dynamics what is it…

That article above explains it. Neo 2 has always had L/R power but it was only on tacx desktop app. It is now compatible on devices "such as garmin 530 and 830". It's just L/R power data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But, that’s not Garmin Edge Specific. Loads of head units do LR balance. Adding LR balance to the Ant+ Power Profile was in their plan before Garmin bought them. If it was just LR balance they could have just dropped that entire line from the changelog.

I don’t think the author of that article knows either: Just look at their screenshots. Also have a look at their other output: I wouldn’t trust them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some clarification around this update. It's a bit confusing and the "Garmin Compatibility" they had in the log is kind of confusing and not sure why they have it there. But to clarify, this update only includes sending L/R power data. No cycling dynamics. That seems to be in the future plan but no idea when it will happen or if it will happen.

It really seems to work with Garmin only or I should say, it works best with Garmin. I tried it on other devices (Elemnt, and Stages). The Elemnt doesn't even pair to it as a power meter. Only FE-C Trainer. Stages did pair to it as a power meter and displayed L/R power data but the data seems to take a few seconds to update. I am not sure if that's a Stages issue or NEO.

But for now, you can see L/R power with the NEO2 on Garmin Edge.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Last edited by: Tariq: Aug 31, 19 12:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be touching this update for a few days (maybe weeks?). For.... reasons.

Unrelated-but-not: Eurobike is a few days away!

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Firmware 0.0.27 [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bit late: unfortunately as I’ve already self-guinea-pigged. Done 2 x Sufferfest workouts using Bluetooth. Recorded 1 simultaneously using Ant+ (Garmin Edge 530). It all worked fine.
I read the change log & thought there was something. Nothing significant added though. LR balance isn’t actually that useful.

I’ve been using the Tacx Desktop app for free & thought there might be some sort of similar standard peanut graph… not convinced it is that much use, but trying to un-peanut it is a distraction from the pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eerke wrote:
LR balance isn’t actually that useful.

It's handy when it's correct. And if you have a tendency to go 60/40.. or wonky when fatigued. If it's not accurate then it'll only introduce problems.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Firmware 0.0.27 [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, longest workout I’ve done was only 1 hr 4 minutes. Only thing I noticed is that in between intervals I am oddly 60:40 left biased, but it evens out in intervals.
Hopefully they’ll start sending some of the other data eventually. If I concentrate on de-peanuting the peanut graph in the Tacx app I see an extra 10-15 watts. Would be nice if Edge could use the data a bit too, even if it is a private communication standard.
Quote Reply